Please help with subwoofer issue

R

RUBngSrvd

Audiophyte
I am a total newbie to HT settings, please bear with me.
My current setup was Polk Audio RM7300 speakers with a powered subwoofer (PSW300), and a Sherwood RVD-8090R Receiver.

Recently ordered the Onkyo HT-S580 system with the R330 receiver. This came with a passive subwoofer (SKW-330).

I have the following concerns:

a) Unless I am setting it up incorrectly, I find that the sound from my Polk Audio speakers is far better. The Polk speakers are at least 5 years old.

b) The Onkyo receiver being designed for the passive subwoofer, I am not sure if I could introduce the Polk Audio powered subwoofer without problems.

c) I do not know anything about the crossover settings required during the initial setup of the Onkyo receiver. At this point I would prefer to keep my existing Polk Audio speakers with the Onkyo receiver.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
RUBngSrvd said:
I am a total newbie to HT settings, please bear with me.
My current setup was Polk Audio RM7300 speakers with a powered subwoofer (PSW300), and a Sherwood RVD-8090R Receiver.

Recently ordered the Onkyo HT-S580 system with the R330 receiver. This came with a passive subwoofer (SKW-330).

I have the following concerns:

a) Unless I am setting it up incorrectly, I find that the sound from my Polk Audio speakers is far better. The Polk speakers are at least 5 years old.

b) The Onkyo receiver being designed for the passive subwoofer, I am not sure if I could introduce the Polk Audio powered subwoofer without problems.

c) I do not know anything about the crossover settings required during the initial setup of the Onkyo receiver. At this point I would prefer to keep my existing Polk Audio speakers with the Onkyo receiver.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA
.....RUB, it sounds like you need to return the Onkyo package in full, and get whatever receiver you want to push the Polks....a 5.1 receiver with bass management, LFE, would send a fine signal to the powered sub you now have.....

R

RUBngSrvd

Audiophyte
Thanks mulester7 for the advice. Any recommendations for a receiver that would do justice to the current set of speakers or the ones that came with the Onkyo package? The Polk is almost 10 years old. I am open to the price to the extent that it helps with the overall system. The only other change in the HT setup is we recently got a Vizio P42 television. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis