Please help with pc audio system!

R

ryan326

Audiophyte
Hey guys, im looking to get surround sound for my pc soley for the use of games, I'm thinking about getting the logitech z5500. IF you guys have any thoughts please share, Thanks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Those are nice PC speakers that get good reviews. To help us out a bit, I have some questions:
  • What is your budget for this system?
  • How big is your room?
  • Have you considered just using headphones for games?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Now that Klipsch has (long) discontinued the Promedia 5.1 Logitech pretty much owns the "hi-end" PC speaker market. I've heard the 5500s and they are pretty impressive for gaming. The old ProMedias (when they worked) were better for music. The Promedia 5.1 used an older version Klipsch's Quintets for the Satellites. If you could find a Promedia 5.1 used (and working) it would rock your world. But Klipsch's BASH amplifier had a bad habit of dieing.

Of course with enough budget I'd go with (and have gone with) a much better system for playing music, but that's not the goal. Gaming is. Honestly, although I haven't listened to it I'd be tempted to try Jinjuku's PE solution if it's within budget. It should provide a good solid basis for future upgrades from a kick butt gaming system into a kick butt gaming and music system.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

If the OP went with my solution that Yammy 5.1 receiver would have cost him $71 shipped plus another $232 shipped for the Part Express 5.1.

So $100 less than the Z5500

I would bet a dollar to your dime that it would kick the shite out of the Z5500.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
one more option :
2 pairs of these and a Dayton 12" sub.

Technically its 4.1 setup, but i believe it will more than enough for computer gaming needs

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
one more option :
2 pairs of these and a Dayton 12" sub.

Technically its 4.1 setup, but i believe it will more than enough for computer gaming needs
You'd be surprised how much volume that Logitech puts out. A friend uses them for a PA system for outdoor (tent) business meetings with 200+ employees attending.

Modern games often use the direction of a sound to alert you to a threat. 4.1 might work but it wouldn't be kewl. Now when I get back into PC gaming it will be with 3 (1.5pr) Behringer P2030Ps as L, R, & C, a moderately beefy sub and my old BIC surrounds.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You'd be surprised how much volume that Logitech puts out. A friend uses them for a PA system for outdoor (tent) business meetings with 200+ employees attending.

Modern games often use the direction of a sound to alert you to a threat. 4.1 might work but it wouldn't be kewl. Now when I get back into PC gaming it will be with 3 (1.5pr) Behringer P2030Ps as L, R, & C, a moderately beefy sub and my old BIC surrounds.
Behringer P2030P in gaming environment? I dunno... where physically you going to put the center ? under your monitor ?

My cousin used to own Z5500 - Imho they are nice, but they are computer speakers for any purposes.

Phantom center might be bad idea for HT, but Imo ok for gaming...

jinjuku

jinjuku

You guys are killing me. Seriously you're killing me with all this talk about the Logitech Z5500 vs putting together a 5.1 with a receiver and some real speakers.

For $400 plus some shipping I believe you can do better if you are willing to be a bit creative.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Behringer P2030P in gaming environment? I dunno... where physically you going to put the center ? under your monitor ?
On a shelf above the monitor. Either vertically or lay it on it's side. I use multiple monitors so my 3 front speakers all have to go on a shelf above the main 28" monitor. I just angle them down and angle the L&R in to point at my head.

If smaller is a must then I'd go with a receiver, sub and Klipsch Quintets. The center is small enough to fit at the base of most monitors.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
On a shelf above the monitor. Either vertically or lay it on it's side. I use multiple monitors so my 3 front speakers all have to go on a shelf above the main 28" monitor. I just angle them down and angle the L&R in to point at my head.
Thanks, I didn't thought about this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis