Please help, Pioneer VSX-914 A/V receiver wont power on...

cozmo5050

cozmo5050

Audiophyte
i was watching a movie late one night on my hometheater, and all of a sudden the power went out in the house. so i went outside to reset the power switches on the house and that didnt help. the power went out in the whole neighborhood. so, i just went to sleep.

when i woke up, i turned on all of my home theater's components:

xbox, dvd player, satellite receiver, tv, etc... everything powers on, EXCEPT my receiver... :mad:

all of my components were conected to a surge protector (Belkin Pure AV 6 outlet).

can someone please tell me where i should look in the unit to fix the problem? if not, where can i send it out to get it fixed? (san diego, CA). the unit wont power on at all. could the delicate electronics been damaged? why didnt my Belkin protect it?

how would i test this thing? if its broken... where would i go to get it fixed? would it be cheaper to just buy another one? im looking around 400 tops, but more like spending $250.

thanks in advance to all replies.

cozmo5050

cozmo5050

Audiophyte
i wonder if maybe there's some sort of fuse within the receiver's chassis? cuz i dont remember seeing it anywhere in the rear of the unit. radio shack? :rolleyes:

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Try This

Unplug it, wait, then plug it back in.
Then try Resetting the main unit

Use this procedure to reset all the receiver’s
settings to the factory default.

Use the front panel controls to do this.
1 Switch the receiver on.
2 While holding down the TONE button,
press and hold the

STANDBY/ON

button for about three seconds.

3 When you see RESET? appear in the
display, press the TONE button.
OK? shows in the display.

4 Press TONE once more to confirm.
OK appears in the display to indicate that the
receiver has been reset to the factory default
settings

Hope this helps some.

cozmo5050

cozmo5050

Audiophyte
ok, so i open up the chassis, and check the fuses. everything looks fine/ checked w/ a DMM.

im guessing it's somewhere in the power supply but there's too much shiet inside there to be pulling out components. this sucks... :mad:

C

cuse4284

Enthusiast
I had the exact same thing happen to me several months back. I tried using the reset method in the manual but it didn't work and spent a few months looking for a place to fix it. It sat at one repair shop for over a month and they couldn't fix it and then I contacted Pioneer and I happened to be a few miles from their best repair shop. They had it fixed within the hour. All they did was press and hold ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND on the front panel for 2 seconds. I sure hope this helps you before you have to go through the trouble I did. My receiver is the VSX-D812-K, but they are pretty similar and it should work.

Note: I think the front standby light needs to at least be visible when the receiver is plugged in for this to work. If you try and turn the receiver on and nothing happens but the red light is still visible then this method will work. Otherwise, it means your power supply is probably fried. Also, I wouldn't recommend opening up your receiver in the future as it voids the warranty in most cases. Also, Pioneer has an extensive repair network and are very helpful if you contact them.

C

carrjudd

Audiophyte
Thank You.

To cuse4284,
My Pioneer Amp blew last night and I thought I was going to be up for big bucks. I read this forum then tried the ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND buttons. Presto!

I know that post was 2 years ago but if you somehow read this THANK YOU!

All the way from Sydney, Australia.

L

leg2lea

Audiophyte

I am sooooo glad I found this forum and the answer to my hubby's unhappiness. A few weeks ago we had a power outage.(Added insult to injury for 3 years we have been battling the company that never installed our "back up" generator).

The Pioneer VSX-914 would not power up. He could not locate a manufactuer reset. (nor did he look at a manual :rolleyes:) In short red hot :mad:

I was searching for a surpise replacement and weighing the cost of repair to replacement and stumbled across AUDIOHOLICS. I pressed enter and advance surround sound and now it is Christmas in Nov.

Thank you, Thank you and again Thank you

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ups

The moral of this story is that surge protectors are of limited benefit. The best way to prevent these sort of surges to equipment is with a UPS. This is a device that has an inverter and switches to battery as soon as there is any power glitch or interruption. They react really fast and provide very effective protection.

sharp eye

sharp eye

Audiophyte
Pioneer VSX D812 receiver stopped working

I have a related problem. My Pioneer VSX D812 can still power on (LED not flashing) but can not detect audio and video signals due to a extremely low voltage earlier this month. The tuner is still working. I hope someone can help me revive it.

Thanks

sharp eye.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have a related problem. My Pioneer VSX D812 can still power on (LED not flashing) but can not detect audio and video signals due to a extremely low voltage earlier this month. The tuner is still working. I hope someone can help me revive it.

Thanks

sharp eye.
Welcome to the forum. Don't panic yet! Try a reboot back to default settings. You will then have to reconfigure your settings, but this will hopefully solve your problem.

If after a reboot, you can not assign inputs and get them to work, then you have a major problem.

People get concerned about surges and rightly so, however there is far more equipment damage from low voltage like you experienced than surges.

When you get your receiver up, give serious consideration to a UPS unit to power your equipment that has microprocessor chips.

In the Northern belt of the country we have had a atrocious weather. We are preparing for the second blizzard in a week. I fear there will be a lot more tales like yours, as these conditions take a terrible toll on the grid.

Two weeks ago we had two of the three power plants supplying this area broken down. We had frequent low voltage, and my UPS systems were cutting in and out constantly. All the equipment was protected.

sharp eye

sharp eye

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum. Don't panic yet! Try a reboot back to default settings.
Thank your for your quick response, TLS Guy. Can you tell me how to reboot it? I tried resetting it by holding down the TONE button and STANDBY/ON button simultaneously with receiver in standby, but the problem still remains.

Cheers
sharp eye

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank your for your quick response, TLS Guy. Can you tell me how to reboot it? I tried resetting it by holding down the TONE button and STANDBY/ON button simultaneously with receiver in standby, but the problem still remains.

Cheers
sharp eye
I have downloaded your manual. You have left out the odd step. This is the procedure from your manual: -

1 Switch the receiver on.
2 While holding down the TONE button,
press and hold the

STANDBY/ON
button for about three seconds.
3 When you see RESET? appear in the
display, press the TONE button.
OK?
shows in the display.
4 Press TONE once more to confirm.
OK
appears in the display to indicate that the
receiver has been reset to the factory default
settings.

If you can not reset the receiver this way, the outlook for it is bad. At the very least the BIOS is corrupted and more likley the DSP board is destroyed.

With a receiver of that age it is unlikley repair will make economic sense, but by all means see if a reapair shop will give you an estimate.

When you have it repaired, or buy a new receiver, include a UPS in the budget.

sharp eye

sharp eye

Audiophyte
If you can not reset the receiver this way, the outlook for it is bad. At the very least the BIOS is corrupted and more likley the DSP board is destroyed.
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately the receiver could not be reset with power on. Looks like I'll have to budget for a new amp.

Appreciated.
sharp eye

R

roy_g_biv

Audiophyte
Blinking Stby Lite - Hurray for forumns

Thank you, thank you, thank you, cuse 4284; your efforts to fix our mutual problem and then writing about it just saved my system. (Although it was gonna be my excuse to convince my wife I needed a new Dolby HD capable receiver! (Maybe next year). There is absolutely no excuse this "fix" is not on Pioneer's website & I'll tell 'em so. Thanks again.
I had the exact same thing happen to me several months back. I tried using the reset method in the manual but it didn't work and spent a few months looking for a place to fix it. It sat at one repair shop for over a month and they couldn't fix it and then I contacted Pioneer and I happened to be a few miles from their best repair shop. They had it fixed within the hour. All they did was press and hold ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND on the front panel for 2 seconds. I sure hope this helps you before you have to go through the trouble I did. My receiver is the VSX-D812-K, but they are pretty similar and it should work.

Note: I think the front standby light needs to at least be visible when the receiver is plugged in for this to work. If you try and turn the receiver on and nothing happens but the red light is still visible then this method will work. Otherwise, it means your power supply is probably fried. Also, I wouldn't recommend opening up your receiver in the future as it voids the warranty in most cases. Also, Pioneer has an extensive repair network and are very helpful if you contact them.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you, thank you, thank you, cuse 4284; your efforts to fix our mutual problem and then writing about it just saved my system. (Although it was gonna be my excuse to convince my wife I needed a new Dolby HD capable receiver! (Maybe next year). There is absolutely no excuse this "fix" is not on Pioneer's website & I'll tell 'em so. Thanks again.
Welcome to the forum, and nice screen name! :)

cuse4284 hasn't been around for over four years, but I'm glad that the info is still here to help you out. Then again, sorry that you don't have an excuse to get a new receiver. :D Maybe you could sell yours since it's still working and upgrade. ;)

R

rayjay1359

Audiophyte
I had my unit into best buy 3 times for this
then I got the info from Pioneer

for a VSX-519v-k
hold down "Advanced Surround" then
push the "standby/on" button
presto fixed

B

bmcnulty

Audiophyte

I am so happy I found this information!! I normally don't post on these but I had to say: Thank you soooo much for putting this up! Last night a storm came through and the transformer across the street from my house blew up...took the power company almost 12 hours from then to get it up and running. I was afraid that my xbox wouldnt work, but it was my pioneer vsx-515-k that would NOT turn on. I hit the "enter" and "advanced surround" buttons like you said, and BAM! back in business.

Wish I would have found it just a bit earlier, I just ordered a vsx-920-k a few hours ago! I'm finding it hard to make myself cancel the order haha.

Thanks again!

I

imantaylor

Audiophyte
WOW Fixed it!!

My vsx-d812 blacked out after a power outage. the red standby light would blink and that was it. I was about to throw it out when i found this forum!. I tried one suggestion which did not work, and then tried the second: press enter button while pressing advanced surround button and Boom! POWER. action. thanks for the help.

M

memyselfandus

Audiophyte

I know this thread is OLD, but I registered here just to say thanks for this tip! I have a VSR-D812 and holding ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND fixed my problem (receiver wouldn't turn on after a lighting storm). Thanks again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis