Please help, Pioneer VSX-914 A/V receiver wont power on...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Will it be worth repairing and then selling? I've bought my friends sony 6.2 and it would be great if I could recover some cash. Thanks for the quick response.
No. The repair will cost far more than unit is worth. You would be out of pocket for sure. It needs to go to the recycling center.

A

Andrew Beech

Audiophyte
I had the exact same thing happen to me several months back. I tried using the reset method in the manual but it didn't work and spent a few months looking for a place to fix it. It sat at one repair shop for over a month and they couldn't fix it and then I contacted Pioneer and I happened to be a few miles from their best repair shop. They had it fixed within the hour. All they did was press and hold ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND on the front panel for 2 seconds. I sure hope this helps you before you have to go through the trouble I did. My receiver is the VSX-D812-K, but they are pretty similar and it should work.

Note: I think the front standby light needs to at least be visible when the receiver is plugged in for this to work. If you try and turn the receiver on and nothing happens but the red light is still visible then this method will work. Otherwise, it means your power supply is probably fried. Also, I wouldn't recommend opening up your receiver in the future as it voids the warranty in most cases. Also, Pioneer has an extensive repair network and are very helpful if you contact them.
Thanks big time
11 years later i have this problem , found your thread and bingo ! Have a great day..Love England.

A

arconium

Audiophyte
Someone gave me a non working vsx d 514. Standby/on switch would not respond. Fuse was OK, did some basic circuit testing. Started scratching my head, thinking the power relay was faulty. I started looking for a wiring schematic on line but stumbled on this thread instead. After trying the standby button and advanced sound I had no result but read further on in the thread and found that touching enter and then advanced surround it brought it back to life again. The internet is extraordinary.

A

arconium

Audiophyte
I'm from sydney australia and I just realised there was a post from someone called carjudd back in 2007
with the same amplifier. 9 years later this thread is still valid!!

K

kshemi

Audiophyte
I had the exact same thing happen to me several months back. I tried using the reset method in the manual but it didn't work and spent a few months looking for a place to fix it. It sat at one repair shop for over a month and they couldn't fix it and then I contacted Pioneer and I happened to be a few miles from their best repair shop. They had it fixed within the hour. All they did was press and hold ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND on the front panel for 2 seconds. I sure hope this helps you before you have to go through the trouble I did. My receiver is the VSX-D812-K, but they are pretty similar and it should work.

Note: I think the front standby light needs to at least be visible when the receiver is plugged in for this to work. If you try and turn the receiver on and nothing happens but the red light is still visible then this method will work. Otherwise, it means your power supply is probably fried. Also, I wouldn't recommend opening up your receiver in the future as it voids the warranty in most cases. Also, Pioneer has an extensive repair network and are very helpful if you contact them.
You SAVED my pioneer VSX-D814! The power had gone out in the neighborhood and despite it being plugged into a surge protector, it never came back. A random search found your comment and I tried the ENTER and ADVANCED SURROUND and it worked!!! I have sound again!! Thank you so much!!! <3

J

joggs

Audiophyte
After reading this thread I had hope but nothing so far has worked! Hoping to salvage my Pioneer VSX-D510.
It was working great.
After a power outage I can no longer switch the signal to digital.
The tone/standby reset did not work. Any other suggestions?

H

Hawk79

Audiophyte
Cool to see this threads still going after all these years! I have a Pioneer VSX1019AH I can’t find a solution anywhere for my problem. Ive had the unit in my house over 10 years. I decided to use it for some poolside speakers and put in my workshop at the back of the garage last summer. I left it out there all winter and didn’t use it. I’m in NY so it gets pretty cold, don’t know if that matters. The other day I went to use it and nothing. The receiver has no power, no standby light, nothing.

I tried several button combos to reset and later realized the unit needs to have standby power for that to work. I pulled the cover off, everything looks fine, the fuse looks good, nothing burnt, no evidence of any insects or rodents. I used a power pinpointer and its got juice throughout. At this point I’m either going to spend $20 and try a new power supply if you guys think it’s worth it or just toss it and get a used cheap one. I’d really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis