Please Help: Onkyo 7.2 TX-NR717 7.2 Channel Reciever?

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I will say that Onkyo has a decent feature set, and Newegg's discount/price looks good. I hesitate to recommend Onkyo though. There have been many reports here that put into question their reliability, and my limited experience with the brand was with a power amp that was as equally suited to dorm room cooking as it was to home audio. (Ran hot, failed early.) Again, just one opinion here.

I know you can find decent deals on Denon or Yamaha via amazon in that price range, which would be my personal preference.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
If you want to go with an Onkyo, I would save up until you can get a TX-NR818. There is a huge jump between the Audyssey room corrections offered on the 717 and the 818.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Pretty sure the recent onkyo's dont run as hot/arent making as much power,therefore should be less likely to fail.
Sound is Not quite as 'in your face ' as before either.
Still slanted towards explosions and gunfights if that's your bag...

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I have a 3, maybe 4 year old Onkyo 608 and have had no problems. I agree 100% with templemaners though.

J

jotham

Audioholic
I would recommend this Onkyo instead.
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black): Electronics

It's unrealistic to go from a $500+ model to a $1000+ model. This is an older model with excellent specs. I have an Onkyo 805 and it's worked great for me for years. I did know that it had a reputation for running hot (large amp section) so I gave it decent ventilation and placed a quiet computer fan on the top of the case so that whenever it's powered on, it's actively cooled. Maybe this pro-active approach is why I've had no issues over the years.

All electronics hate heat so anything you can do to make sure that air is circulating will keep whatever receiver you get a bit happier. There are lots of electronics fan options nowadays. Something like this for instance.
Receiver Amplifier Cooling Fan w Super Air Chamber Base | eBay

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would recommend this Onkyo instead.
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black): Electronics

It's unrealistic to go from a $500+ model to a $1000+ model. This is an older model with excellent specs. I have an Onkyo 805 and it's worked great for me for years. I did know that it had a reputation for running hot (large amp section) so I gave it decent ventilation and placed a quiet computer fan on the top of the case so that whenever it's powered on, it's actively cooled. Maybe this pro-active approach is why I've had no issues over the years.

All electronics hate heat so anything you can do to make sure that air is circulating will keep whatever receiver you get a bit happier. There are lots of electronics fan options nowadays. Something like this for instance.
Receiver Amplifier Cooling Fan w Super Air Chamber Base | eBay
+1. I got one of the 809's and the difference between it and the 818 is XT32. Just about every other feature is there. I'm very happy with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis