Please help me upgrade my speakers from kef r3?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I don't blame them, you were polluting up the place with multiple threads based on your inexperience and indecision and poor environment. Let alone describe what actual issues are in terms anyone but you understand. Did you get those speakers off the desk to start? Put them on stands? I'm guessing not. Make room for stands, change your seating, do what you have to....nothing wrong with your hardware, it's in your setup (and probably just stuck in your head by now). Changing the speakers won't change your environment. The equipment isn't junk because you dont' like the results, let alone your ability to communicate just what is wrong with the sound compared to the car you have parked 10 miles away.....
@lovinthehd ,@TLS Guy
I just happened upon this thread and it seems to have a familiar ring to it. An OP has an undefined issue with his sound, wants a better sound, but can't really describe what's wrong with what he has. Any suggestions on how to improve what he has are met with criticism even though those suggestions are no cost ideas. I think the AH folks have demonstrated patience and due diligence but the OP continues to object.

This is a familiar pattern. Think of how many others have come in with the same sort of approach? How does one help when the OP just wants to object and wants a better speaker as the answer?

I can testify that the suggestions of altering the environment, just move the freakin' speakers around, can have powerful results. But that's not the aim of the OP I don't believe. This one is unhappy and wants someone to fix his unhappy. Tall task indeed. Anything else I have typed just ended up being an insult to the OP so I have deleted lots of cool insults.

E

elf4o

Audioholic Intern
@lovinthehd ,@TLS Guy
I just happened upon this thread and it seems to have a familiar ring to it. An OP has an undefined issue with his sound, wants a better sound, but can't really describe what's wrong with what he has. Any suggestions on how to improve what he has are met with criticism even though those suggestions are no cost ideas. I think the AH folks have demonstrated patience and due diligence but the OP continues to object.

This is a familiar pattern. Think of how many others have come in with the same sort of approach? How does one help when the OP just wants to object and wants a better speaker as the answer?

I can testify that the suggestions of altering the environment, just move the freakin' speakers around, can have powerful results. But that's not the aim of the OP I don't believe. This one is unhappy and wants someone to fix his unhappy. Tall task indeed. Anything else I have typed just ended up being an insult to the OP so I have deleted lots of cool insults.
Have you ever heard sopra 1 , or utopia diablo evo colour or bowers and wilkinsons 805 d4? Which one is the best from them.

I already moved speakers and used dirac on and off but no help

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Have you ever heard sopra 1 , or utopia diablo evo colour or bowers and wilkinsons 805 d4? Which one is the best from them.

ShadyJ did a review of the Sopras which is available here. You're not going to find someone who will recommend one specific speaker of those three. It is personal preference and you are best to travel to a shop where you can hear them, even if that means taking a car or train to another city. I traveled 2 hours to listen to some Monitor Audio and JBL speakers only to discover that there was not a significant enough improvement to warrant the expense and saved myself several thousand dollars. If you are in Europe, you may get free return shipping from Arendal (in Norway) so you may be able to try them for free. Arendal makes both a good bookshelf and an excellent Monitor (reviewed here) but if the R3 is on a desk the 1723 Monitor is likely too big.

E

elf4o

Audioholic Intern
ShadyJ did a review of the Sopras which is available here. You're not going to find someone who will recommend one specific speaker of those three. It is personal preference and you are best to travel to a shop where you can hear them, even if that means taking a car or train to another city. I traveled 2 hours to listen to some Monitor Audio and JBL speakers only to discover that there was not a significant enough improvement to warrant the expense and saved myself several thousand dollars. If you are in Europe, you may get free return shipping from Arendal (in Norway) so you may be able to try them for free. Arendal makes both a good bookshelf and an excellent Monitor (reviewed here) but if the R3 is on a desk the 1723 Monitor is likely too big.
Hi i need to go to another country which is far away not other city..

yes r3 is big and i preffer local reseller not international online store .... shipping heavy items boxes and moving is hard...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just for the record, this member has wasted hours of my time, in personal communications.

He has a perfectly good set of speakers, which have a high F3, and need a good sub or two, and will then sound superb.

He refuses to be educated on how to interpret specifications and above all well performed measurements.

Just one example he keeps throwing up awful speakers based on subjective reviews like the B & W 805 D. This is an expensive speaker and he is impressed that it has a Diamond Tweeter.

This is the response measured by the Canadian NRC.

If a speaker measures badly, its bad. There is no doubt about it.

With his speakers, which measure very well, then the addition of a sub or two will give him superb results.

He is in a small apartment so the mid/HF being coaxial will really bring dividends.

This chap just goes round in circles, and there is no end to it. So with reluctance, I had to cut him off.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

@elf4o
Here's the issue with answering your questions. People love to answer questions here on the AH. We do it all the time. But, in response to your inquiry there is no real answer because you have no defined problem or shortcoming with your existing KEFs. How will you know if a new set of speakers is a true upgrade if you don't have a defined problem to overcome? One of the sources of dissatisfaction for people who upgrade is not having a clear sense of what needs improving. Then, when they buy a new set of speakers, they are often disappointed because they aren't "better" than what they have.

Another difficulty with answering your question is that @TLS Guy is one of the sharpest people you could ever correspond with on the subject of speaker performance. He has said very plainly, your KEFs are better than what you are considering. The real answer appears to be adding a subwoofer to the bottom end. I can't say it more plainly, if @TLS Guy gives you a direct opinion then you have an excellent answer you aren't likely to exceed.

How to move forward? Set aside some time for a dedicated listening session. Don't rely on what you've already done. Do it new with a purpose. Set aside an hour or so, get your most favorite recordings, and listen to see what it is you don't think the KEFs are giving you. Find a way to describe that. If you like tools, have a computer, and want to get very specific, try REW or other measurement software and measure what you are hearing.. Then come back. Its not uncommon to have to spend a LOT more money on a speaker to get a true upgrade. Buying new speakers is easy. Getting a true upgrade is often expensive and time consuming. Give it a whirl.

E

elf4o

Audioholic Intern
@elf4o
Here's the issue with answering your questions. People love to answer questions here on the AH. We do it all the time. But, in response to your inquiry there is no real answer because you have no defined problem or shortcoming with your existing KEFs. How will you know if a new set of speakers is a true upgrade if you don't have a defined problem to overcome? One of the sources of dissatisfaction for people who upgrade is not having a clear sense of what needs improving. Then, when they buy a new set of speakers, they are often disappointed because they aren't "better" than what they have.

Another difficulty with answering your question is that @TLS Guy is one of the sharpest people you could ever correspond with on the subject of speaker performance. He has said very plainly, your KEFs are better than what you are considering. The real answer appears to be adding a subwoofer to the bottom end. I can't say it more plainly, if @TLS Guy gives you a direct opinion then you have an excellent answer you aren't likely to exceed.

How to move forward? Set aside some time for a dedicated listening session. Don't rely on what you've already done. Do it new with a purpose. Set aside an hour or so, get your most favorite recordings, and listen to see what it is you don't think the KEFs are giving you. Find a way to describe that. If you like tools, have a computer, and want to get very specific, try REW or other measurement software and measure what you are hearing.. Then come back. Its not uncommon to have to spend a LOT more money on a speaker to get a true upgrade. Buying new speakers is easy. Getting a true upgrade is often expensive and time consuming. Give it a whirl.
i will go to another country when i can in order to try kef reference 1 meta,focal diablo utopia evo colour my favourite and , sopra 1 and bowers 805 d4.
so i can find out what is the best upgrade..

its same with cars
if you drive 40 years car and its nothing wrong,
what u can do buy brand new tyres ?
Will you achieve same performance as a sport hybrid from acura made in year 2014 no you cant.
i already have sub, its not sub which i want i want simply better speakers and upgrade , thats why i also upgrade my jvc home theater receiver to get better receiver now i have better amp/ from nad i will also get better speaker so i can finalize the upgrade.
Can someone seek diablo utopia evo measurements?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i will go to another country when i can in order to try kef reference 1 meta,focal diablo utopia evo colour my favourite and , sopra 1 and bowers 805 d4.
so i can find out what is the best upgrade..

its same with cars
if you drive 40 years car and its nothing wrong,
what u can do buy brand new tyres ?
Will you achieve same performance as a sport hybrid from acura made in year 2014 no you cant.
i already have sub, its not sub which i want i want simply better speakers and upgrade , thats why i also upgrade my jvc home theater receiver to get better receiver now i have better amp/ from nad i will also get better speaker so i can finalize the upgrade.
Can someone seek diablo utopia evo measurements?
You really are a very slow learner and obtuse besides.

You have a requirement for bookshelf sized speakers, that these days lack the last 2 and a half octaves of the musical scale. They will not sound right without one or two subs.

So either you get at least one sub, or you need larger tower speakers which, the latter, you say you do not want. So you need a sub, and you can continue this mental masturbation for a long as you want. The answer will continue to be the same.

E

elf4o

Audioholic Intern
You really are a very slow learner and obtuse besides.

You have a requirement for bookshelf sized speakers, that these days lack the last 2 and a half octaves of the musical scale. They will not sound right without one or two subs.

So either you get at least one sub, or you need larger tower speakers which, the latter, you say you do not want. So you need a sub, and you can continue this mental masturbation for a long as you want. The answer will continue to be the same.
i will add and buy sub but i also need to upgrade the speakers and raise the bar,even with bookshelve.

Is kef blade 2 meta, better compared to focal utopia diablo colour evo?

they are big speakers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis