Please help me choose some speakers!

N

Nicko

Audiophyte
Hi,

I am new to the scene and need help choosing some speakers for a Rumpus room. The room is 6m x 8m (20 x 26 feet) and has a raked ceiling.

I am not installing a home theatre but would like to install 2 pairs of speakers at each end of the room connected in stereo plus a powered subwoofer, the room has a Billiard table and will only be used to listen to music.

Currently I have a new Yamaha RX-AS710 receiver which is rated at 60w per channel 8 ohms. I am currently using some old Jamo E470 floor standing speakers that are placed up on some shelves and do sound great. These speakers are to be used in a home theatre in another part of the house.

The room has limitations on where I can place speakers due to the ceiling, windows, and I don't want to get floor standing speakers as they will be in the way of furniture. I have been looking at getting 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers that can be wall mounted.

I have been drawn to the Klipsch brand and have been looking at either the RP-500m or RP-600m and a Klipsch R-100SW subwoofer. These I am sure will sound great but I am not sure how well the speakers will go wall mounted as they are rear ported. I have also discovered the Klipsch RP-500SA which are classed as a surround speaker, they look like they use the same woofer and tweeter as the RP-500M but in a sealed enclosure, they also angle down so will be directed well when mounted. So these may suit flush wall mounting better but I am not sure if they are suitable as a main speaker or if they will have the volume and range required?

I am hoping for some advice if I am on the right track or not?

What would you recommend for a room of this size that can be wall mounted that are not too large but are full range speakers that will match the receiver and have the volume?

Are the Klipsch RP-500SA speakers suitable to use in this environment?

I am in no way an Audiophile, just someone looking for some great sounding speakers, that will be plenty loud enough to fill the room and look great up on the wall at the same time.

Cheers
Nick

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since you already know what sounds great get more of the same.

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
Rp 500sa are surraund speakers. I don't think they will sound good on their own. I would go to a Best Buy store or find a store that has a sound room with different speakers to listen. My go to store is ABT Electronics, which is located in Illinois, eventhough I live in Florida. I know Focal makes some great speakers, I know people like KEF R-3. I still don't know the true definition of the word 'Audiofile" but I know for sure, if you're looking for a pair of good speakers and asking around about them, you know what the good sound is and want it in your home.
Good luck! Finding a good pair af speakers is not an easy task, but an interesting journey.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

N

Nicko

Audiophyte
Rp 500sa are surraund speakers. I don't think they will sound good on their own. I would go to a Best Buy store or find a store that has a sound room with different speakers to listen. My go to store is ABT Electronics, which is located in Illinois, eventhough I live in Florida. I know Focal makes some great speakers, I know people like KEF R-3. I still don't know the true definition of the word 'Audiofile" but I know for sure, if you're looking for a pair of good speakers and asking around about them, you know what the good sound is and want it in your home.
Good luck! Finding a good pair af speakers is not an easy task, but an interesting journey.

Thanks for the advice Genchic, that's my concern I guess, that they won't sound great on their own as that's not what they were designed for.

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
Yes. As far as I know, speakers have to have a good inclosure in order to give you a fuller sound. About mounting, I wouldn't worry. There are planty of mounting brackets available to mount speakers of any size and weight.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't have any experience with bookshelf speakers. Hoping mainly someone can give some advice if the Klipsch RP-500SA speakers would work well.
Jbl stage 130’s

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Audioholics has several speaker roundup reviews in different price ranges. Yes, you want to have some space behind the cabinet if it has a rear firing port. Do you need to wall mount or is it on a shelf? The Traktrix port that the 600M uses, works a little differently than the standard round port found on most speakers. The manual does not list a minimum distance but it looks like the 600M will work reasonably well close to a wall.

The 500SA is designed for ATMOS and effects channels. I would not expect it to make a good main speaker. The 600M will sound much nicer.

Audioholics’ Top Eight $800 Bookshelf Speaker Picks for 2021
Our Top Six $700/Pair Bookshelf Speaker Picks for 2021
Our Top Six $600 Bookshelf Speaker Picks for 2021

Bookshelf Reviews

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,

I am new to the scene and need help choosing some speakers for a Rumpus room. The room is 6m x 8m (20 x 26 feet) and has a raked ceiling.

I am not installing a home theatre but would like to install 2 pairs of speakers at each end of the room connected in stereo plus a powered subwoofer, the room has a Billiard table and will only be used to listen to music.

Currently I have a new Yamaha RX-AS710 receiver which is rated at 60w per channel 8 ohms. I am currently using some old Jamo E470 floor standing speakers that are placed up on some shelves and do sound great. These speakers are to be used in a home theatre in another part of the house.

The room has limitations on where I can place speakers due to the ceiling, windows, and I don't want to get floor standing speakers as they will be in the way of furniture. I have been looking at getting 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers that can be wall mounted.

I have been drawn to the Klipsch brand and have been looking at either the RP-500m or RP-600m and a Klipsch R-100SW subwoofer. These I am sure will sound great but I am not sure how well the speakers will go wall mounted as they are rear ported. I have also discovered the Klipsch RP-500SA which are classed as a surround speaker, they look like they use the same woofer and tweeter as the RP-500M but in a sealed enclosure, they also angle down so will be directed well when mounted. So these may suit flush wall mounting better but I am not sure if they are suitable as a main speaker or if they will have the volume and range required?

I am hoping for some advice if I am on the right track or not?

What would you recommend for a room of this size that can be wall mounted that are not too large but are full range speakers that will match the receiver and have the volume?

Are the Klipsch RP-500SA speakers suitable to use in this environment?

I am in no way an Audiophile, just someone looking for some great sounding speakers, that will be plenty loud enough to fill the room and look great up on the wall at the same time.

Cheers
Nick
You won’t find any Full range bookshelf speakers, although there are a few expensive brands that go down pretty low.
Towers if you want something and go down to 30 hz, but bookshelves with the subwoofers is probably fine !!!
if the room is big enough pro speakers might work too.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis