Please Assist with Some Panasonic UB9000 Setup Queries...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Also, Paris...I know you mentioned that I should be seeing "8-Bit" with SDR content as far as the player's output, but here's how things play back when I check that output information:

With regular DVDs, the player is outputting:

Source: 720 x 480 SDR/BT.601 - YCbCr 4:2:0/8-Bit
Output From Player: 4K/60P SDR/BT.709 - YCbCr 4:2:2/12-Bit

With 1080p Blu-rays, the player is outputting:

Source: 1920 x 1080 SDR/BT.709 - YCbCr 4:2:0/8-Bit
Output From Player:
4K/24P SDR/BT.709 - YCbCr 4:4:4/12-Bit

Now, what I think is happening is that, with 1080p Blu-rays at least, the player is using its chroma upsampling feature to bring the content to 4:4:4 chroma (from 4:2:0 on the discs)...with regular DVDs, I was told that the player is NOT sending these as 4:4:4 because of the limitation with 60FPS content (which the DVDs are).

Does this clear some stuff up? :confused::oops:o_O

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Also, Paris...I know you mentioned that I should be seeing "8-Bit" with SDR content as far as the player's output, but here's how things play back when I check that output information:

With regular DVDs, the player is outputting:

Source: 720 x 480 SDR/BT.601 - YCbCr 4:2:0/8-Bit
Output From Player: 4K/60P SDR/BT.709 - YCbCr 4:2:2/12-Bit

With 1080p Blu-rays, the player is outputting:

Source: 1920 x 1080 SDR/BT.709 - YCbCr 4:2:0/8-Bit
Output From Player:
4K/24P SDR/BT.709 - YCbCr 4:4:4/12-Bit

Now, what I think is happening is that, with 1080p Blu-rays at least, the player is using its chroma upsampling feature to bring the content to 4:4:4 chroma (from 4:2:0 on the discs)...with regular DVDs, I was told that the player is NOT sending these as 4:4:4 because of the limitation with 60FPS content (which the DVDs are).

Does this clear some stuff up? :confused::oops:o_O
Ah, that actually makes sense!

Have you tried the exact same thing but disable the 4K/60?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Ah, that actually makes sense!

Have you tried the exact same thing but disable the 4K/60?
What do you mean disable the 4K/60 -- you mean in the setup menu under the "4K/60P OUTPUT" setting? You can actually turn that OFF?

P

ParisB

Audioholic
What do you mean disable the 4K/60 -- you mean in the setup menu under the "4K/60P OUTPUT" setting? You can actually turn that OFF?
Oops I meant if you change this setting to 4:2:0, what will the player do differently than what you just found out. Presumably it will output 4:2:2 (for 1080p and UHD?) and the TV will do the rest.

Then there are combinations with the Deep Color settings.

I was about to start testing but going for a walk with the wifey :D

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Oops I meant if you change this setting to 4:2:0, what will the player do differently than what you just found out. Presumably it will output 4:2:2 (for 1080p and UHD?) and the TV will do the rest.

Then there are combinations with the Deep Color settings.

I was about to start testing but going for a walk with the wifey :D
I never tried it; however, I just find it weird that when I first turned the player on, out of the box, this menu automatically selected "4:2:0" for my connected Samsung...when I did the factory reset, suddenly the player chose "4:4:4" here, and my Samsung CANNOT support 4K at 60P 4:4:4 (I don't think any current display can, am I right? This is a limitation with the HDMI implementation we're currently at, I think)...

Someone over at the vile Blu-ray.com forum told me that on his Panasonic -- I think it was one of the cheaper models, the 420 or 820 -- it did the same thing: That is, when he made some "tweaks," his player suddenly began reading that it COULD output 4:4:4 4K/60...

Very very weird.

What do you keep this on? And your 9000 is connected to a Sony OLED, correct? I may be wrong about that...

When you have a chance, I'd like to once again go over all my settings as it pertains to the UB9000 > Samsung NU8000 marriage to make sure I'm up and running correctly (I have already taken your advice regarding just leaving the HDR Optimizer ON and not touching any of those HDR picture controls, instead leaving them at default of "0")...if that's okay. ;)

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Paris --

Wait a minute -- I think I just discovered something, looking at that screen shot you provided of that "4K/60P OUTPUT" menu...

Reading the explanations under the settings a bit better, it seems that the "4K/60P (4:4:4)" setting here simply means that the player will output EITHER 4K/60P 4:4:4 8-Bit OR 4K/60P 4:2:2 12-Bit...but that's ONLY if the source is, say, Gemini Man or Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk...with THESE discs, the player will select 4:4:4 8-Bit if that setting is adjusted to 4K/60P (4:4:4) -- do I have that correct?

This ONLY applies to those kinds of discs, as you were attempting to explain to me early on in the thread, right?

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Paris --

Wait a minute -- I think I just discovered something, looking at that screen shot you provided of that "4K/60P OUTPUT" menu...

Reading the explanations under the settings a bit better, it seems that the "4K/60P (4:4:4)" setting here simply means that the player will output EITHER 4K/60P 4:4:4 8-Bit OR 4K/60P 4:2:2 12-Bit...but that's ONLY if the source is, say, Gemini Man or Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk...with THESE discs, the player will select 4:4:4 8-Bit if that setting is adjusted to 4K/60P (4:4:4) -- do I have that correct?

This ONLY applies to those kinds of discs, as you were attempting to explain to me early on in the thread, right?
Yes that makes sense. I do have Gemini, so I can test that

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Yes that makes sense. I do have Gemini, so I can test that
I'd be curious to see what you find; I have read reviews where the authors have mentioned this disc not playing AT ALL on the UB9000...

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I'd be curious to see what you find; I have read reviews where the authors have mentioned this disc not playing AT ALL on the UB9000...
The disc definitely plays, as we watched it about 3 weeks ago. I didn't get a chance to test the settings tonight since I ended up working OT and am too tired :

I did re read the manual and remembered how useless it is haha

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
The disc definitely plays, as we watched it about 3 weeks ago. I didn't get a chance to test the settings tonight since I ended up working OT and am too tired :

I did re read the manual and remembered how useless it is haha
The manual that came with my player was useless; it was a pamphlet that looked like a joke compared to the books provided with the Oppos and the Cambridge unit.

Actually, I was mistaken -- it wasn't Gemini Man that gave the reviewer from Sound and Vision issues on the 9000, it was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, the other title that was shot at 60FPS.

Thomas J. Norton said this in his review:

The Panasonic added some edge enhancement to lower-resolution 1080i and 1080p sources when upconverting them to 4K. This effect was clearly visible on a sharpness test pattern, but only when viewed from closer than 2-3 feet. The Panasonic otherwise cleanly deinterlaced 1080i content, and its luma and chroma resolution were both excellent. The player wouldn't play back Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk on disc in full 4K, 60p, HDR, BT.2020, 4:2:2, 10-bit format. But Billy Lynn has been out for two years and remains the only HDR Ultra HD disc yet released in 60p; there's no sign of any others. (Oppo's now-discontinued UDP-203 player had no issue playing the same disc.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis