Playstation 3: 40GB or 80GB

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I got tired of reading through posts looking for it, so if I missed it, sorry for repeating it.;)

The 80 GB apparently has about 50% success rate of playing PS2 games using software emulation. I would rather know for certain what a piece of equipment will do by getting the 40 GB PS3, because I know it will not play PS2 games. The PS3 "Might" play half of the games you put in it, and it is in no way related to when the game's came out (so it's not just old PS2 games, it's new ones too).

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Wondering where you get the 50% from?????:eek:

I recall it being 70 to 80% out of almost 2500 games
I've only got a few games, but my brother has a bunch. And so far no major issues with anything, all have been perfectly playable.

On March 20, 2007 Sony released a compatibility list; 1,782 of the 2,451 PS2 games (72%) released in Europe were playable on the European PS3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

Check games here (as well the official PS site) - http://www.ps3comp.com/view.asp?flt=s&console=ps2
This site has all versions (not just U.S.) that link is for PS2 games (set on S)....

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
No problem.;)

If I was able to rebuy, I would probably search around for the 20Gb or 60Gb model, and just add a 160Gb HDD.
Keep the hardware for BC rather than software emulation....

On the 80Gb I've already eaten up 60Gb, and have only put in 1/20th of my music.
Granted i could use an external drive, but that becomes inconvienent.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info,

Checked the link for compatible games and the ones I have that I am likely to play all have 5/5 compatibility ratings.

I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for a 60GB model but no such luck so far. I am picking it up on Jan 31 (payday and the last day of the Blu-Ray offer) so I still have twoo weeks to try to find one.

j-garcia: Thanks for the tip on the downloads available. I will by games for it in short order, but I am pretty selective about the games I buy, has to have good replay value and more importantly has to make the wife say "I can't believe you play games like this" and then leave the room so I can game in peace :D (hence GTA4 for the 360 has been on pre-order since august of last year).

Other than movies, the PS3 is pretty much mine. Wife doesn't game and the kids will have their own gaming space with a PS2, XBOX, and Wii.

Cheers all and I will let you know what I get in the end
Michael

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My son plays the PS2 in his room also, which is the only use it gets :) He is playing some of the games that he hasn't played like MGS2 and 3, but we both use the PS3.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
I know that my boys will get their time on the PS3, eventually :D. After the PS3 buy, the rest of the fun budget will go to getting their, kids, space setup with 5.1, couple of gaming chairs, and other furnishings.

I was good to go on my HT space until the older one, 8, said these horrible words one day. "Why does daddy get all this stuff mommy?". At that moment I knew my life had changed forever, for both the good and bad. My son had noticed the AV/gaming gear i had been buying (good thing as they can't start too young :D) and now he wanted some as well (bad thing as he is too young to get a job so I have to pay for it :rolleyes:)

It is all good though. They will have their own space for movies, TV, and gaming.

Cheers
Michael

A

Addy

Audioholic
"Why does daddy get all this stuff mommy?". LOL most funny thing ever sucks to be you! lol at least you get to buy more gear:D

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
"Why does daddy get all this stuff mommy?". LOL most funny thing ever sucks to be you! lol at least you get to buy more gear:D
Oh I hope so, and I am looking forward to saying "But it is not for me, it is for the boys!" :D Wonder how many times that will work.

Cheers
Michael

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
One of my sons played last night, that usually likes to watch his big brother play, but he was insanely crazy about Motorstorm. He loved playing it. Big screen and big sound may have been part of it, but it was hilarious to watch a 7 year old act like that. Time to go home and play around with it some more.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I was highly disappointed in my PS3............'s manual. ^_^ It doesn't go through the settings very well at all. Lots of options that I have to just HOPE are optimized. Plus I can't get my wireless to work with it so I can surf the web and get some demo's. Can those be downloaded from a computer and put onto a usb stick so I can get them? The WIFI was recognized enough to download the 2.10 update, but not the internet. Not sure why.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Bought the 40GB

Hey all,

Well I picked up my PS3 today, the 40GB model. Even up until yesterday I was still unsure of which to buy knowing that there is no difference in Blu-Ray support or gaming between the two (excluding the 80GB bc of course).

Then I remebered something, when I was a regular Zellers and The Bay (Canadian department stores) shopper I had collected a ton of reward points. Upon checking I found I had about $200 worth of points.

Made the decision much easier as I just went to Zellers with the attitude that if they had the 80 I would get it, if not, get the 40. Well, no 80 so I got the 40.

Done :D

Now just to a game.

Cheers
Michael

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
Congrats! After finding out how expensive it will end up costing me to get the capability of SACD through HDMI to my processor, I should have just gotten the 40 gig and saved the $100 too. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Congrats! After finding out how expensive it will end up costing me to get the capability of SACD through HDMI to my processor, I should have just gotten the 40 gig and saved the $100 too. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.
Thanks frostbyte. I am sure I will enjoy it very much. Now that I am sitting here with the 40 I am glad that I have it and saved the $100 (not including rewards savings)

Had my wife with me, unexpectedly :eek:, when I bought it. She gave me the glare with the total came up. The $200 reward card ease the glare to a slight stare and then a smile (after a peck on the cheek) and I knew I was good to go :D

Cheers
Michael

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis