Playstation 3: 40GB or 80GB

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Hi all,

Just got WAF to pick up a PS3. (Actually, she went and blew $1000 without a hint of talking to me about it so that spells instant WAF :D)

I am a gamer, not hardcore, but love it just the same and my premise for the PS3 is for the gaming and for the Blu-Ray player (I already have a Toshiba HD-30 for HD-DVD).

Basically my choices around here are the 40GB model for $399 (bundled with Spiderman 3 movie and no game) or the 80GB model for $499 (bundled with the Motorstorm game and no movie). I know that the 40GB will not play older PS2 and PS1 games and I am not sure if I am totally willing to give that up. (I have a few, 7 or 8, previous PS2 titles that I still enjoy every once in a while)

Are there any other major differences between the two models? I can find nothing to say as such on the playstation site.

I know that they are both well below my new limit of $1000 but I am sure I can find something else to buy as well and I just don't want to waste $100.

Thanks for any input
Michael

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
People have discounted it, but after playing a few PS3 games I have little to no interest in playing any PS2 games on the PS3....not that they are bad, but they don't stack up as well (that is not to say there aren't great PS2 games). Also, if you have a PS2, who cares if the PS3 can play the games or not?

40G no SACD if that matters.
40G has only 2 USB ports vs 4 on the 80G; not a huge deal but something to consider.
Motorstorm is a much better "free" title than Spiderman :)

Last edited:
B

brulaha

Audioholic
The main difference, besides the obvious hard drive capacity, is the smaller 40 gig model cannot play PS2 games. The larger 80 gig model can, but only through software emulation, similar to what the 360 uses to play older xbox games. The 60 gig model that has been discontinued actually had a chip in it for hardware emulation. To cut costs they have stopped this practice.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The main difference, besides the obvious hard drive capacity, is the smaller 40 gig model cannot play PS2 games. The larger 80 gig model can, but only through software emulation, similar to what the 360 uses to play older xbox games. The 60 gig model that has been discontinued actually had a chip in it for hardware emulation. To cut costs they have stopped this practice.
He did say besides the ability to play PS2 games...

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Not sure what you are asking, specially since no BC on the 40Gb.

I have had both the 40 and my current 80.
With the 40 you lose PS2 BC (although it will play PS1 games, from my understanding, granted I had none to test this), you also lose SACD playback, as well the loss of 2 USB ports.
And the loss of memory card reader (SD, MMC, Compact flash) built in, granted you could still use a USB card reader.

I did find the (strangely) 40Gb to bit a little more zippier in the menu system compared to my 80.
Although I can not 100% confirm that difference, as I had already returned the 40 before I got my 80.

The only reason I got the 80, was 2 reasons, clearly the bigger HDD for my music collection (the PS3 will rip your CDs directly, but I have already done this, so I transfer using 2Gb USB drives).
The other reason was my brother has a ton of PS1 and PS2 games, so when he visits, I can tell him to bring a game or two to occupy his time.

I got my PS3 80gb directly from Sony, at 399.00 (not 499.00)(plus a free second controller)
But I am not sure if that sale is still going, plus you have to apply for one of their CCs.
I will check for you now.............
Well yes and no, the free controller deal is gone, and the CC now offers 12 months no intrest (not the 18 month I got).
But it will knock off 100.00 on your first purchase of 299.00+
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?cmsId=sony_card
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665225458

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I say try to find a 60GB PS3. You might still be able to find some at some obscure walmart or something. That way you don't lose a thing. Also the SACD playback is dangerous as now I am spending even more money on SACDs!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Regardless of which one you get, get a copy of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune along with it. It will change your perspective of what a good graphics should be, on any platform. And according to the game publisher, this game uses under half of the PS3's potential processing power.

-Chris

Hi all,

Just got WAF to pick up a PS3. (Actually, she went and blew $1000 without a hint of talking to me about it so that spells instant WAF :D)

I am a gamer, not hardcore, but love it just the same and my premise for the PS3 is for the gaming and for the Blu-Ray player (I already have a Toshiba HD-30 for HD-DVD).

Basically my choices around here are the 40GB model for $399 (bundled with Spiderman 3 movie and no game) or the 80GB model for $499 (bundled with the Motorstorm game and no movie). I know that the 40GB will not play older PS2 and PS1 games and I am not sure if I am totally willing to give that up. (I have a few, 7 or 8, previous PS2 titles that I still enjoy every once in a while)

Are there any other major differences between the two models? I can find nothing to say as such on the playstation site.

I know that they are both well below my new limit of $1000 but I am sure I can find something else to buy as well and I just don't want to waste $100.

Thanks for any input
Michael

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Regardless of which one you get, get a copy of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune along with it. It will change your perspective of what a good graphics should be, on any platform.
You really think that?

Meh, I thought the graphics were good, but nothing special. Even at Gamespot, it was not rated in the top 10 games, by scoring an 8.
Heck, the simple driving games have just as good, if not better graphics.
GT-HD & Burnout Paradise.
Or for cartoon graphics The Simpsons.;)

For good graphics (considering ANY platform), I would say try the PC game Crysis. It BLOWS away Drake.
Or a 8 year old game, Porsche Unleashed had SUPERB graphics (as well excellent physics).

Granted I am not much of a gamer, anymore.
When I was 20~25, I loved gaming however sadly, that was well over a decade ago.
Although, for the soryline, I did just pickup 'The Darkness'.:eek:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
many folks on the blu ray forums are reporting the 40 gig ps3 is the quitest one of them all, and mine is extrememly quiet. If you want/need backwards compatibility,then get the 80, otherwise get the 40. You can always upgrade the hard drive yourself, or add an external drive if you need more space. Just get either console before the 5 free blu ray movie deal is gone.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
You really think that?

Meh, I thought the graphics were good, but nothing special. Even at Gamespot, it was not rated in the top 10 games, by scoring an 8.
Heck, the simple driving games have just as good, if not better graphics.
GT-HD & Burnout Paradise.
Or for cartoon graphics The Simpsons.;)

For good graphics (considering ANY platform), I would say try the PC game Crysis. It BLOWS away Drake.
Or a 8 year old game, Porsche Unleashed had SUPERB graphics (as well excellent physics).
I have not been able to play Crysis yet on a proper machine - but the screen shots alone do not convince me - and if it is a match - then I expect it would only be so on an extremely costly top notch gaming machine with all options set to maximum. Screen shots fooled me on Drake -- but it is far beyond any game I have played in terms of graphics. I don't know what you use to consider 'good graphics, but for me it's pretty simple. The raw 3D rendered details(virtually every plant and leaf rendered in 3D in a jungle, and they are dynamic with the wind) or rendering much surface geometry on nearly every brick or wall carvings in a temple, along with absolute smooth, highly detailed main characters(Drake appears to have every hair strand 3D rendered, and the clothes geometry shifts the fabric wrinkles as the characters move) qualified as good. Or the water -- the water is so close to real water in optical effect and physics -- it's simply 1st rate - as is evident in the middle stages of the game. These details are not likely covered by Game Spot - but I am super critical. Normally, most details are simple texture maps(even some foliage - which is usually a fixed image mapped to an invisible flat surface - or sometimes wrapped around an invisible surface - which becomes all to obvious in a moving environment). I did not expect Drake to be anything like this based on the screen shots - and I can usually get a really good idea by most screen shots. Drake is a very high polygon game with extraordinary rendering of characters and huge environments. I have not seen evidence that any current Xbox360 or any other PS3 game, or any PC game(other than the possibility of Crisis on a top notch rig) is a match. That being said, the graphics are not really as good as I would like to see(it should be noted that what I would like to see is at least Pixar quality graphics in live game play - and in 8-10 years -- I want to see game play that looks like live shot film in the real world :) ) -- the publisher says they used probably under half of what is possible from the Cell CPU -- so I am waiting for something that pushes it the the 90 percent range so that even more rendered objects and better physics are present. :)

-Chris

Last edited:
crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies on my question.

SACDs are not an issue as I do not have any at the moment and I am not going to start as I do not need another addiction to spend my money on. The re-buys for HD-DVD and soon Blu-Ray are causing a big enough dent in the bank account :D

Also, the two less USB ports on the 40GB are no big deal, same with the lack of a card reader.

If you add a hard drive for extra storage, can this be used for saved games and other system type stuff as well or is it strictly for storage of music, movies,......

brulaha:
Thanks for the info on the hardware emulation in the 60GB model. I will go on a bit of a hunt to try to find one of these. Might be a bit tough though in Calgary, Canada, but worth a bit of my time.

j_garcia:
I second your thoughts on the "free" title. I would watch Spiderman 3 on Blu-ray but since the 40GB model does not come with a game that would instantly mean another $60CDN on top of $399 to get a game to play on the system

Gasman:
Thanks for the info on the Sony Card deal. I will have to look into to it to see if it is applicable in Canada. Don't see why not, but you never know. Also, on the topic of Burnout paradise, would you go for the 360 version or the PS3. I have tried the demo on the the 360 and thought it looked really good as well as being a blast to play but with a PS3 coming down the pipe I now have options.

Thanks again for the wealth of info. Still not sure wich way to go but I think I am leaning towards the 80GB for both the free game and extra storage. Also, the audioholic in me will be happier knowing i got the top model, at least for now :rolleyes:

Cheers all and have a good one
Michael

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have not been able to play Crysis yet on a proper machine - but the screen shots alone do not convince me - and if it is a match - then I expect it would only be so on an extremely costly top notch gaming machine with all options set to maximum. Screen shots fooled me on Drake -- but it is far beyond any game I have played in terms of graphics. I don't know what you use to consider 'good graphics, but for me it's pretty simple. The raw 3D rendered details(virtually every plant and leaf rendered in 3D in a jungle, and they are dynamic with the wind) or rendering much surface geometry on nearly every brick or wall carvings in a temple, along with absolute smooth, highly detailed main characters(Drake appears to have every hair strand 3D rendered, and the clothes geometry shifts the fabric wrinkles as the characters move) qualified as good. Or the water -- the water is so close to real water in optical effect and physics -- it's simply 1st rate - as is evident in the middle stages of the game. These details are not likely covered by Game Spot - but I am super critical. Normally, most details are simple texture maps(even some foliage - which is usually a fixed image mapped to an invisible flat surface - or sometimes wrapped around an invisible surface - which becomes all to obvious in a moving environment). I did not expect Drake to be anything like this based on the screen shots - and I can usually get a really good idea by most screen shots. Drake is a very high polygon game with extraordinary rendering of characters and huge environments. I have not seen evidence that any current Xbox360 or any other PS3 game, or any PC game(other than the possibility of Crisis on a top notch rig) is a match. That being said, the graphics are not really as good as I would like to see(it should be noted that what I would like to see is at least Pixar quality graphics in live game play - and in 8-10 years -- I want to see game play that looks like live shot film in the real world :) ) -- the publisher says they used probably under half of what is possible from the Cell CPU -- so I am waiting for something that pushes it the the 90 percent range so that even more rendered objects and better physics are present. :)

-Chris
I agree with Chris. As I said in my mini-review, the main draw of this game is the visual aspect. It is almost as fun to just wander around looking at the scenery as it is to play the game, particularly in the jungle areas. Clearly they spent many, many hours on the levels themselves and future games based on this code should be simply jaw dropping. One thing that I found quite interesting too was the way characters got wet - if you walk in the water knee deep, you can see the change in appearance only where you are wet vs dry, and you eventually dry off. Water is probably the most impressive rendered item. The distances that you can see when looking off a cliff in certain areas are pretty amazing too.

I do have to say though, the graphics are actually a bit better in Assassin's Creed in terms of movement, interaction and the physics are about the same, though you can detect more inter-relationship errors than with Drake's.

R

redman_43

Junior Audioholic
I went through the exact same dilemma about a week ago.

I had to choose between:
1) trading in my PS2 and using the credit towards the 80G PS3
-or-
2) keeping the PS2 and buying the 40G PS3

Ultimately, I decided to keep the PS2 because I wasn't going to get anywhere near $100 for it. If a new PS2 game comes out that I just have to own and play, I'll dust off the PS2 and enjoy. Otherwise, the other differences aren't really worth it for me. The hard drive is probably the biggest one, but I can always expand later if needed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There aren't likely to be any furhter "big" and certainly not many if any exclusive PS2 games coming out. I have 2 PS2s still. One gets used on occasion, the other just sits.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I am still up in the air about it as well.

For me it is down to the bundle as I cannot find just a PS3. If I go 40GB it is $399CDN plus another $50+ for a game for a minimum of $449CDN + tax, this does come with Spiderman 3 on Blu-Ray as well.. If I go with the 80GB it is $499 + tax and out the door, this bundle has Motorsorm. For an extra $50CDN I get 40GB more space, 2 extra USB ports, will play SACD, and I get BC.

Hmmm.....

Actually, think I just decided :D

Cheers
Michael

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
you also get a built in memory card reader with the 80 gig version. I played the motorsport demo and it's pretty cool, not sure how good the actual game is. But if off road racing is your thing, then you may want to get the 80 gig, otherwise Spiderma 3 is a good movie, and you can spend your extra money on a game you would rather play. I wouldn't worry too much about having BC, as you won't want to play any PS2 games once you start playing PS3 games on an HD display, and the extra hard drive space isn't really good for too much if you have a pc connected on your network, since you can stream music and video/picture files from it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The demo is exactly the same as the rest of the game. Even though there aren't a lot of tracks, there are MANY paths on most of them and you have to beat them in different conditions (like night, no headlights...). The demo track is short - a few of the others are about twice the lenght of that one. I have only 3 races left to beat and they are TOUGH.

crashkelly

crashkelly

Full Audioholic
And then he was undecided again

Good points GlocksRocks.

I agree that SpiderMan 3 is a pretty good movie. I already have it on SD along with the other 2. Now I am sure there is no comparison between the SD and BD versions, but I am not sure I am interested in having another copy at this point.

I think I am looking at the BC as an interim solution between when I buy the PS3 and start buying games. Will probably pick up one other title, besides motorstorm, on purchase date but that will be it for a bit as I have to replenish the account for a couple of months.

Honestly I think they would both suit me just fine. I think on buy day I will get whichever one ends up in my hands. It has been 80 --> 40 --> 60 (looked around Calgary but could not find any) --> 80 --> 40 ..... in my mind and I know I will not make it up for good until I am paying for it (but then I am sure I will question it further on the ride home :rolleyes:)

Cheers and thanks for all your help
Michael

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Note too that there is a LOT of demo content to download and try out for free as well as a few interesting simple games that can be purchased inexpensively, so there is a lot of stuff that you can do in the meantime without actually purchacing a large number of games. Motorstorm has two additional tracks/challenges and a number of new vehicles, most of which are included with the purchase of the new tracks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis