Playing XBox Games on 360 Console

J

James NM

Audioholic
Just wondering how much difference there is between an Xbox game and a 360 game (of the same title of course) when played on a 360 console.

I'm selling my XBox console and trying to decide whether to let the games go with it or keep some of them in case I decide to purchase the 360. Any feedback?

F

Fenix

Audioholic
There really isn't much difference. The only problem that I have is that not all games for the Xbox can be played on the 360. I have one such game, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.

Basically the 360 uses virtualization software to mimic the original Xbox system so you can play original games. It doesn't always work perfectly though. For example, when I play Forza on my 360, some of the car icons just show up as blurred boxes in the menu's, but are just fine when you are actually racing. Whenever they update the software on the 360, they also add more playable games for the original Xbox, so they are constantly working on it.

I still go back and play Halo, Halo 2, Star Wars Battlefront, and Star Wars Battlefront 2 from time to time.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I also kept my old Xbox because of games with no support or poor support on the Xbox360. I still like to play DeusEx: IW which has no support and the Star Wars KOTOR games that are buggy on the 360.

I've had good luck with Tom Clancy games and Halo games on the 360. I expect anything published by Microsoft will probably work the best. They stopped adding support for new titles so you may want to check their compatibility page before deciding.

Jim

J

James NM

Audioholic
So are you guys saying that game "XYZ" for Xbox and the same XYZ for 360 will both play about the same on the 360 console (assuming the "XYZ" for Xbox is compatible)? I just assumed that a game made for the 360 would be superior to the same game made for the Xbox.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
A game made for the 360 will look better. The newer games generally have graphics at 720p where the older Xbox games are 480i upscaled. Also, the newer games are designed around the 360 hardware and often have better particle effects and whatnot.

Jim

J

James NM

Audioholic
A game made for the 360 will look better. The newer games generally have graphics at 720p where the older Xbox games are 480i upscaled. Also, the newer games are designed around the 360 hardware and often have better particle effects and whatnot.

Jim
Cool. Thanks for the info. Sometimes it sucks living 100 miles from the nearest electronic retailer.

D

DevSingh1359

Audiophyte
To be honest, the only games I really went back and played were Halo: CE and Halo 2. Everything else I traded in/sold

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis