K

Ken1953

Enthusiast
How can you remove the plastic plugs on speakers for banana plugs?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Depending on how tight they are, needle nose pliers or, as with the case with a recent pair of Focals, I had to dig them out with a pen knife (the plastic plugs were ruined, but no biggie to me).

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
How can you remove the plastic plugs on speakers for banana plugs?
The plastic plugs on my B&W 606 where in tight. I took a small screw and screwed it into the plastic plug and once it was in good, used the screw to pull the plug out.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Sometimes it helps to unscrew the binding post nut as far as you can, then try to remove the plastic cap. If that doesn't help, then re-tighten the binding post nut and try again.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I kind feel like a goober because this has not occurred to me until this moment: if the binding post nuts come all of the way off (some do not - kind of a safeguard against accident prone folks like myself) one can then push them out from the inside with a small Phillips head screwdriver.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I kind feel like a goober because this has not occurred to me until this moment: if the binding post nuts come all of the way off (some do not - kind of a safeguard against accident prone folks like myself) one can then push them out from the inside with a small Phillips head screwdriver.
Binding posts used to be called 'five way binding posts' but that was when they were used by people in labs and other industrial/test applications. Once they reached the mass market, more words confused people in marketing departments, so they stopped using them. They were originally intended to make life easy for technicians when there was no certainty about how the wires would be connected, whether using:

• Banana plugs, inserted into the top open end of the binding post.
  • Bare wire inserted through the same hole and clamped.
  • Bare wire wrapped around the metal post and clamped.
  • Pin connector, inserted into a hole drilled through the metal post and clamped by the screw-down portion of the binding post.
  • Lug terminal, with a 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) inner diameter, inserted around the metal post and clamped.
  • Alligator clip.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Part of the reason they don't come off is that they can be lost easily. Another part may be that they could be a choking hazard for kids.

Get the pick set- Harbor Freight and other hardware stores sell them- you'll find all kinds of uses for them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis