Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I keep hearing the Plasmas will never look as good as tube TV's. Does this mean that even an average tube will look better then a good Plasma, or is this only true when comparing top end plasmas to top end tubes?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would say that you want to compare HD (high def) CRTs (cathode ray tubes) to Plama displays. Not SD (standard def) CRTs.

SD CRTs do provide better black levels and can provide a cleaner picture on SD material, but don't offer the same resolution for things like DVDs and better programming that plasmas can. So blacks and shadows may be better on a SD CRT, the image won't be up to the same resolution as the plasma.

But, on a HD CRT vs. a plasma... The CRT will have better blacks, greater shadow detail, and do a bang up job handling pretty much everything thrown at it. If I were buying, and had space for, a rear projection television I would likely go with CRT over anything. If 34" (or so) was all I needed for a TV then I would go with a CRT. But, we have a tiny living room and the plasma stays. At 50" I would have to go rear projection which puts me on a large CRT, smaller LCD/DLP or my plasma. Plasma works very nice for what it is as long as you remember what it isn't.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Agree with BMX,
can't beat the overhaul picture quality of a CRT TV. The reproduction of the gray scale in comparison to plasmas and projection TVs as well is outstanding and you don't have to worry about burn outs especially if you're playing a lot video games.

Mr.T

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis