Plasma Stand/Console For Paradigm Center Channel

Z

Zzyzx242

Hi There,

This forum has been nothing short of excellent in helping me put together a HT system.

Perhaps there are a few of you that will be able to help with this. I want to purchase a 50"-58" plasma that will sit on a stand. I will also be purchasing a Paradigm sound system with a Paradigm CC-590 as a center channel. If someone has a link to some consoles that will accommodate the TV/CC-590 and a few components I would appreciate it :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I could tell you what will work but since it took me over 4 months to find a credenza that would house my 590 I dont think it's fair to just give you the info without you putting some work and frustration into it.:D

Hi There,

This forum has been nothing short of excellent in helping me put together a HT system.

Perhaps there are a few of you that will be able to help with this. I want to purchase a 50"-58" plasma that will sit on a stand. I will also be purchasing a Paradigm sound system with a Paradigm CC-590 as a center channel. If someone has a link to some consoles that will accommodate the TV/CC-590 and a few components I would appreciate it :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Heck, I am feeling nice.

The good news is most plasma stands that come with the TV will fit on top of the 590. If you want to go this route just make sure you measure the pedastal stand, the 590 is 26'' wide and 13'' deep.

The second option is just wall mount the display and use the top of about any TV stand to place the 590 on.

The 3rd option is find a credenza that will house everything. I looked high and low and this is the only one I found. It looks good and houses all my gear with room to spare. I left the doors off as I didnt like the looks of them.
http://www.racksandstands.com/Plateau-SR-V-75-E-PT0087.html

The 4th option is to have a credenza custom made to your specs.

Z

Zzyzx242

I could tell you what will work but since it took me over 4 months to find a credenza that would house my 590 I dont think it's fair to just give you the info without you putting some work and frustration into it.:D
Well, I guess I could lie and say I've been looking for 5 months :D

Nice set-up Greg, especially the credenza!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If that's the case feel free to get one. As you can see it looks better in my pictures than on their website. It is 180lbs and ships for free.
Well, I guess I could lie and say I've been looking for 5 months :D

Nice set-up Greg, especially the credenza!

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Unfortunately that one won't fit the CC-590 in any of the shelves.
I've been having a tough time with this one as well and may end up having to go the wall mount route.

Bello have some nice ones that have a fake mount which would give the top shelf enough room for a CC-590, but it's maxxed out at 50" tv and 125 lbs., whereas I'm looking at getting a TH-58PZ800U which is 58" and probably weighs more than 125 lbs.

Maybe it would hold anyway?

Something like this - http://www.tvstands.com/Bello-FP-4850HG-BB1153.html

I think the TH-58PZ750U with stand is 160lbs, so maybe the 800 model will be lighter?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That's funny cause I have a CC-590 and a 73'' TV on mine. There is even 5'' of room under my center and probably 6'' on the side where I house my external hard-drive. Measure again and make sure you are looking at the 75" one.
Unfortunately that one won't fit the CC-590 in any of the shelves.
I've been having a tough time with this one as well and may end up having to go the wall mount route.

Bello have some nice ones that have a fake mount which would give the top shelf enough room for a CC-590, but it's maxxed out at 50" tv and 125 lbs., whereas I'm looking at getting a TH-58PZ800U which is 58" and probably weighs more than 125 lbs.

Maybe it would hold anyway?

Something like this - http://www.tvstands.com/Bello-FP-4850HG-BB1153.html

I think the TH-58PZ750U with stand is 160lbs, so maybe the 800 model will be lighter?

itschris

itschris

For my center channel (DefTech CLR2500 which is on the bigger side) I just pulled the top drawer out and it fits perfect. I took the fact panel off the drawer (it has the grill cloth insert) and installed spring tabs on the four corners, with the female side lined up in the drawer space so it sorda snaps in the empty space and looks like the drawer is there. I only did this a couple of days ago and have already just left it off. It looks fine with the center .... well... in the center.

R

ray10

Audiophyte
Heck, I am feeling nice.

The good news is most plasma stands that come with the TV will fit on top of the 590. If you want to go this route just make sure you measure the pedastal stand, the 590 is 26'' wide and 13'' deep.

The second option is just wall mount the display and use the top of about any TV stand to place the 590 on.

The 3rd option is find a credenza that will house everything. I looked high and low and this is the only one I found. It looks good and houses all my gear with room to spare. I left the doors off as I didnt like the looks of them.

The 4th option is to have a credenza custom made to your specs.
Thanks for this useful info Greg.
I have been looking for a similar setup for my 50" plasma tv and Studio CC-590 and looks like I have found what I need. :)

For the first option, will it be OK to put the heavy weight of the 50" plasma TV on top of the Center Speaker? Can the CC-590 withstand the weight ?

For the third option, the credenza looks really good but the Center Speaker seems below the ear level. Will that make any difference to the hearing experience ? What do you think ?

Thanks
Ray

itschris

itschris

I have been looking for a similar setup for my 50" plasma tv and Studio CC-590 and looks like I have found what I need. :)

For the first option, will it be OK to put the heavy weight of the 50" plasma TV on top of the Center Speaker? Can the CC-590 withstand the weight ?

For the third option, the credenza looks really good but the Center Speaker seems below the ear level. Will that make any difference to the hearing experience ? What do you think ?

Thanks
Ray
Hey Ray, I don't know if you can tell from this pic, but I have my center propped up just a bit with some feet in front. It's only about a 1/4 inch but it does make a difference, especially since I have a coffee table in front of the couch.

It's not overwhelming, but during quiet dialogue, you do notice a bit more clarity because it's getting to your ears I guess. If I couldn't prop it up, I don't think I'd be too terribly upset about it, however.
View attachment 6275

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think the 590 will be ok with the weight of a plasma on top of it. I have never done that but others have. I would be comfortable standing on my center speakers and I weigh 200lbs.

If you have your center at ear level it would be in the middle of your TV screen. I (and most of us) just prop up the front so it aims at the ear level. I just used the feet that came with my center on the front and left them off of the back.

Thanks
Ray

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
We have this BDI Avion.
http://www.allmodernfurniture.com/BDI-8527-BD1058.html
My PSB CC would fit in the top drawer.
When I finally got a Paradigm Sig CC to match the rest.
I found it was too big to fit in the drawer, and too tall to put up top in front of the plasma.
Along with not wanting to add more weight; I still wanted to roll it away from the wall to work behind it;
I ended up doing a wall mount, and put the CC on top. FWIW
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

itschris

itschris

We have this BDI Avion.
http://www.allmodernfurniture.com/BDI-8527-BD1058.html
My PSB CC would fit in the top drawer.
When I finally got a Paradigm Sig CC to match the rest.
I found it was too big to fit in the drawer, and too tall to put up top in front of the plasma.
Along with not wanting to add more weight; I still wanted to roll it away from the wall to work behind it;
I ended up doing a wall mount, and put the CC on top. FWIW
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
We have the same cabinet, mine's in espresso. I took out that top drawer and my 2500 fit in like a glove with just enough room for the top side woofer. Would yours fit the cabinet if the drawer wasn't there?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks
Ray
Hello Ray, I'm here to throw you a curveball. I've been annoyingly ranting and raving, particularly to those with flat panels. Its just something to consider, or ponder over. IOW, I'm just trying to be helpful, and please feel free to ignore. But, here goes, paraphrasing a former post of mine:

The best is three towers in the front. Very few do this. I've been ranting and raving for a long time about this.

Now, if you have a large DLP sitting on an AV rack, you can't, and that's quite understood. If you have a flat panel mounted on the wall a few feet high, you absolutely can, and IMO absolutely should.

get a modular rack for $200, and put it anywhere you want, just not up front. Even the closet if you want. A URC (extremely reputable) RF-20 remote + blaster is only $75 last I checked. A 35 ft Mono HDMI is about $40.

By having the identical tower, you will be:

- perfectly matched as matched can be, in all speaker characteristics
- even plane of tweeters/drivers for perfect and even panning
- completely bypass horizontal lobing issues inherent in a horiz mtm design, which usually means a sweetspot at less than 20 degrees.
- horiz cabinet means vertical dispersion as opposed to horiz dispersion. Sound likes to travel along the path of least resistance (smallest dimension), so to speak.
- less stuff/mass/material in-between your speakers that would otherwise destroy stereo, or m-ch, imaging.
- better video immersion without all the lights up front
- best of all, money in the pocket

If it indeed must be horizontal, the best designs will be such as top mounted tweeter (ie B&W), WTMW (ie Revel, AV123), or coincidental (KEF).

Now, if you have only one loveseat, for 1-2 viewers, not as big of a deal, assuming you sit straight on. If you have more than one couch, my suggestions just only regarding center design will benefit you greatly.

-jostenmeat

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
We have the same cabinet, mine's in espresso. I took out that top drawer and my 2500 fit in like a glove with just enough room for the top side woofer. Would yours fit the cabinet if the drawer wasn't there?
Hi Chris,
It wouldn't fit, about an inch too short.
My wife likes the idea of a drawer to hold CD's etc.
Edit:I just saw your picture. That does fit very well, it looks like it belongs.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I got my BDI Avion from them. They're great people to work with. There was a mishap with my cabinet and they went above and beyond to make things right. I highly recommend these folks.
Hi Chris,
I missed your post the first time around.
We had a problem with ours too.
The two front corners were dented. It looked like it slid in the delivery truck and hit something.
What was your damage?
Rick

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
To complete my hijack, I just wanted to add that lobing issues with horizontal MTM design are dependent on the spacing of the woofers and the x-over point.

My PSB Image center has woofers that are 180 degrees out of phase at about 20 degrees off-axis, to the best of my knowledge.

So I suppose effects can be limited, hopefully to lower freq's which we are less sensitive to, but I am under the impression that these considerations are rarely ever of primary importance.

I only recently added the matching horizontal, because I hate the idea of buying into a compromised design. However, Im not going to buy a whole new set of speakers. I cannot use the vertical tower, nor bookshelf, because my 159" screen is not acoustically transparent.

If I had a flat panel, you can bet the farm I would. FWIW.

-jostenmeat

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis