Planning speaker setup pre-furniture

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
My new condo is coming along. However, it is now time to run the wires for the surrounds.

As one "wall" is a floor to ceiling window, I am placing my surrounds (Axiom "quad-polar" QS-8) on the back wall, to the left and right of the couch.

The couch will be a standard length couch. I haven't purchased it yet, so my issue is "How do I measure properly" to mark the place in the wall where I want the speakers to go so the electricians put them up properly?

I don't want to move my furniture in only to find I've badly screwed up.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Grab a chair and sit in it, then measure to the top of your head, this will give you an avg. listening height. Then add about 1-2 feet above that height for the center of the woofer on the surrounds, make sure to +/- a few inches for where the connections are on the back of the speakers. That should give you a nice "ballpark" location to have the wires come out at.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
JohnA said:
Grab a chair and sit in it, then measure to the top of your head, this will give you an avg. listening height. Then add about 1-2 feet above that height for the center of the woofer on the surrounds, make sure to +/- a few inches for where the connections are on the back of the speakers. That should give you a nice "ballpark" location to have the wires come out at.

Sorry to disagree JohnA, but with quadpolars this is the recommeded placement

Quadpolar surrounds, similar to Bipoles, usually perform best when placed on sidewalls, but closer to the backwalls, for rear wall reflection of the side mounted tweeter. Their height should be about 4-6 feet above the seated position, but greater than 1 foot away from the ceiling to not obscure the top mounted woof

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis