Planning a System...

Clownfish

Clownfish

Junior Audioholic
I'm still in the shopping and research phase, but I have a few questions about wants vs. neeeds.

I've been out listening to and test driving speakers, and so far, I think I like the B&W 683 so far... ($1500.00 per pair) BUT I still have quite a few I haven't heard yet, so this could change at any time. I like to listen turn up the volume (a lot!) and many of the speakers I like I notice need quite a bit more power to properly drive them to good volumes, and still sound good.

I've been talking to the spouse, and we really can't place a 7:1 system in our house. There justisn't anywhere to place all of those speakers, due to the room. Even a 5:1 prolly won't happen. Most likely, a 3:1. We don't watch that many movies, and it just isn't a big deal for us.

With a pair of floor standing speakers, and one decent center channel, a sub down the road is what we are talking about, and a BlueRay player later on.

I've been keeping an eye out on what will be neeed to power such a system, and when thinking about receivers, I've been thinking about a cheaper A/V reciever, but placeing an amp with the set-up...

Something like this:

Yamaha Rx v-463 ($349.00) It has a 5:1 but it's powered at 105 wpc, it has bluetooth, compression enhancer, yapo, iPod dock avail.

Then Buy.....

Emotiva XPA-3 amp ($499.00 sale price) It's a 3 channel amp @ 200 wpc.

Does this make any sense? Why spend $$$$.$$ on a receiver that's 7:1 when we would only use 3 channels, and 5 at the very most?

Later, down the road, we would like a Blueray player, but I'd spend *500.00 or a little more, on a nice one with upscaling, or upconverting, SACD, HD, etc. Not the cheepie type at Best Buy $150.00 special.

I'd like to budget as follows:

Speakers.........................$1000 to 1500 ok, up to $2000. but they better really blow my socks off, not just a little, but a lot! (I'm not including a center channel is this part of the budget, just 2 mains)

Reciever or Amp or PreAmp..$500 to 1500.00 I may have to go slow, and buy 1 piece at a time, as funds allow to get to $1500.00

Much Later:

A sub, a BlueRay player, and Bluetooth for computer to receiver, and an iPod dock.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

*Same quesstion, posted in the wrong forum, first time.*:eek:

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Please don't double post. You're receiving good responses from the thread in the Loudspeaker forum.

Clownfish

Clownfish

Junior Audioholic
Please don't double post. You're receiving good responses from the thread in the Loudspeaker forum.

OK, sorry.

I asked for it to be moved, this is where I meant to post... :eek: It really wasn't a speaker question...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis