Plan C; Setting up a 3rd system, this one in my bedroom;

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Lately, I've started loosing access to my main system in the basement as this space is shared with my wife's sewing area and she likes to watch certain shows that I dislike and visa versa. We agree on what to watch most of the time but sometimes it doesnt work. Thats just life. My secondary system is being used by my daughter and her b/f. On to plan C.

I have a pair of PSB Alpha Mites and a Yamaha RX-V1500 that were doing nothing. Since I already have a display, a bluray player and a cable box in that room, I decided to bring up the mites and the AVR and connect into what is currently there. The Mites are good and articulate, far better than the Visio TV speakers so I'm now on the hunt for a used sub. I'm not buying new and I have to keep the purchases local. Luckily for me, there is a guy that Ive puchased speakers from him before, the Mites and C100 center channel. I've narrowed it down to the following 3 subs due to size constraints in where I plan to put it. a) PSB Alpha (8" front ported) , b) Nuance S-100 ( 10" dual ported down firing) and c) Athena (8" down firing) sub. These are all more mid woofers than subwoofers but I dont want wall shaking bass in the bedroom. The sub is going in the spot currently occupied by the lamp on the right hand side.

bedroom.jpg

I finished watching Pacific Rim yesterday and noticed that the AVR got rather hot. I guess it needs all of that vent space. I'm going to cut to length a pair of 2x2" that run the depth of the Sony player and place them between the player and the AVR.

Last edited:
Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Yes!!! 3rd system for the win! Funny timing. I'm planning my own bedroom setup myself. I think I have the TV narrowed down. Already have the audio and video gear. The wiring to locate all the gear to a nearby closet is going to be a chore, but worth it. I've never really had a TV in the bedroom before, but now that I have a baby and a toddler, it might the best chance I get to my Game of Thrones on for a while. Haha. I super downsized homes recently so I no longer have the space for a dedicated HT room...for now.

Bedroom setups aren't something we discuss too much around here, so I'm glad to see I'm not alone in wanting something decent in there.

And you are right about wanting to address the ventilation. I'd give your receiver all the room it needs to breath. Even if you end up losing the nice stacking feng shui you have going on with your components. Personally, I'd split them up. AVR on the left, media components on the right. But that's just me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It will remain a 2.1 system. I wont be adding any surround speakers.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
It will remain a 2.1 system. I wont be adding any surround speakers.
Yeah. No surrounds for me either. I'll be doing a pretty basic 2.0 channel system, albeit a really nice 2 channel. I'll be using a pretty beefy integrated stereo amp paired with some really nice bookshelf speakers. Will be skipping the sub for the bedroom, but my books have plenty of low end to keep me satisfied for this purpose. Clarity's also superb so I won't need to crank it to enjoy it. Wireless headphones may also be a worthy investment for this particular location. Haha.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I like that Athena/Energy 8" sub. Im moving away from AVRs in the BRs and going active as my wife keeps complaining about electronic gear in every room :rolleyes:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The AVR is basically free as its been retired. I would like something a lot smaller as this thing is a beast from a power delivery perspective but this means I would have to buy something new (used).

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
The AVR is basically free as its been retired. I would like something a lot smaller as this thing is a beast from a power delivery perspective but this means I would have to buy something new (used).
I just love it when we can retire gear we like and don't want to get rid of simply to another room. About to retire an old AVR of mine to my garage. Perfect for that!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just love it when we can retire gear we like and don't want to get rid of simply to another room. About to retire an old AVR of mine to my garage. Perfect for that!
Yep, use the trickle down effect myself. Bedroom gets second best system, workshop third, spare bedrooms 4th & 5th. Still have the larger room in the basement to go... :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well like TV sizes, there is a time a place for a smaller sub but if you are spending some time in your smaller room, why not go to a 12 if you choose to? Yes I’m an enabler. Down with the WAF and all that... :)
Also I do feel guilty putting old gear away, so I try to find good homes for old receivers and speakers with friends and family and show them how fun this can be. That said, I run 3 systems quite often but only 2 currently. I could see a garage system being fun! Yes Audioholics’ism is a good term for it. LOL :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I found a piece of 2x4 , cut two pieces each being 5.5 inches in length, just a little longer than the distance between the feet of the bluray player, painted them black and placed them under the player on edge so there is a 3.5 inch gap between the AVR and the bottom of the blu ray player. Pictures to follow on Monday.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Cheers! My wife has turned our main system into her home office... lets not talk about the shows she likes to watch....

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I like that Athena/Energy 8" sub. Im moving away from AVRs in the BRs and going active as my wife keeps complaining about electronic gear in every room :rolleyes:
I dont understand a wife's perspective. Electronics always look better to me than open bowel of pot pouri or a jewelry chest sittng on the dresser. Maybe its just me :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I'm able to keep my third system in the bedroom. My wife only asked if I could move the cable box down on the AVR and I explained to her that it would not be a good thing as there would be heat build up on the AVR.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I think I'm able to keep my third system in the bedroom. My wife only asked if I could move the cable box down on the AVR and I explained to her that it would not be a good thing as there would be heat build up on the AVR.
Translation: Wife just gave you the green light for a sweet rack based setup in another room!

Time for your dedicated A/V / Server closet! Nice work there, bud. I think I might just have to do the same thing. Hmmmmm.....

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I found a piece of 2x4 , cut two pieces each being 5.5 inches in length, just a little longer than the distance between the feet of the bluray player, painted them black and placed them under the player on edge so there is a 3.5 inch gap between the AVR and the bottom of the blu ray player. Pictures to follow on Monday.
What I've used in the past are PVC pipe couplings and painted them black. It gives a couple of inches of clearance from all 4 sides and it's cheap. If there is a heat problem I like to add a laptop cooler with one giant fan to the top of an AVR to assure a really great air flow. Unfortunately not many modern AVRs have a switched outlet or USB plug on the rear anymore.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-Pipe-1-1-2-in-PVC-Sch-40-S-x-S-Coupling-PVC021001400HD/203811389

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I picked up an Energy XL-S8 last night and neatly fits into the place. I will post pics later. Here's an image of one.

I didn't have time to dial it in properly. I went through the AVR menu and set the speakers to small, bass through sub only, set the crossover to 80Hz and turned the crossover on the sub to its highest level. Unfortunately that's as far as I got before I got called away.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have it dialed in and it sounds pleasing enough. Its not a Rythmik but its far better than no sub at all. For $85, I could have done a lot worse. :)

IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0390.JPG

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis