Placement of rear surround speakers

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My room is 16’ wide and my rear surrounds are 6’-3” apart. If you’re only 6’ in front of them you don’t want them 10’ apart. They need to image between them just like the fronts do.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
so does 7 feet work for me? that's all I can manage since I have a huge blanket hung on my back wall

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
well dang it I wish I could do 4 or 5'. Have to stick with 7' I guess

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
how many feet are you away from the back wall where your rear surrounds are mounted?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What does your avr have the levels set at? I'd add height channels before I did 2 back channels.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What does your avr have the levels set at? I'd add height channels before I did 2 back channels.
I tend to agree. 5.1.2 is better than 7.1 any day. Problem is, he said he’s not going there yet. Probably waiting for an avr?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I don't want to do atmos yet since most movies don't have it yet. Later on ill use these speakers for height speakers when atmos is more abundant.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't want to do atmos yet since most movies don't have it yet. Later on ill use these speakers for height speakers when atmos is more abundant.
My rebuttal is that there are actually close to 400 atmos titles already. AND, dsu and dsxnx(I like to say dtsu @AcuDefTechGuy) make many older titles almost as good. Sooooo, I would not bother to go to 7.1, and go straight to 5.1.2. 5.1.4 is even better. Just sayin.....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
When adding Height channels, if just adding a pair, start with the front?
Then back, followed by center as expansions?
What about Wide fronts, as I've seen many comment and recommend that they prefer that to height?
Thanks!

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
So I should do 5.1.2 instead of 7.1? What if the movie doesn't have atmos? Do the height speakers still work? Placement for the 5.1.2 height speakers would be from the ceiling pointing down straight at the listening position? How far in front of my listening position? And should I point them right at the LP?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When adding Height channels, if just adding a pair, start with the front?
Then back, followed by center as expansions?
What about Wide fronts, as I've seen many comment and recommend that they prefer that to height?
Thanks!
Yes start with the top front, then top rear. There won’t be a center rear. Atmos speakers are only added in pairs. Ie: front height/top front/top middle/top rear/rear height.
The front side vs height you’re talking about is old school pliiz/height or wide. Not the same as Atmos height/wide.
There is support for Atmos plus wides but discrete content is very small. Dsu doesn’t use wides either so not much point for normal Atmos installs.

So I should do 5.1.2 instead of 7.1? What if the movie doesn't have atmos? Do the height speakers still work? Placement for the 5.1.2 height speakers would be from the ceiling pointing down straight at the listening position? How far in front of my listening position? And should I point them right at the LP?
Yep. 5.1.2.
If the movie doesn’t have Atmos, just use dsu(Dolby Surround Upmixer), then they’ll work when called for.

I would probably point them at the LP, depending on how many seats.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Atmos is in my future, but I'm keeping my rears for gaming. ;)

Yes start with the top front, then top rear. There won’t be a center rear. Atmos speakers are only added in pairs. Ie: front height/top front/top middle/top rear/rear height.
:eek: I failed my lingo test!
But cool, first two pairs are Top Center, then Top Rear, aimed toward LP.

Cheers!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My rebuttal is that there are actually close to 400 atmos titles already. AND, dsu and dsxnx(I like to say dtsu @AcuDefTechGuy) make many older titles almost as good. Sooooo, I would not bother to go to 7.1, and go straight to 5.1.2. 5.1.4 is even better. Just sayin.....
ATMOS 5.1.2/ 5.1.4 over even 7.1 100%!

Well on the Yamaha DSP modes, we have

1. Dolby Surround
2. DTS Neural X

So I was thinking more like just DS and DTSNX. :D

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Would 7.1 be better for games? Do games have atmos?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Would 7.1 be better for games? Do games have atmos?
I know several games that take advantage of the rear channels. That's why I wouldn't lose them now vs. going Atmos now. Fallout 4 gets crazy sometimes when I'm on my main system, and I'm looking behind me beacuse I think a Radrat came in my cat door! Or more truthfully, that my cat brought a live bird inside through the cat door.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I know several games that take advantage of the rear channels. That's why I wouldn't lose them now vs. going Atmos now. Fallout 4 gets crazy sometimes when I'm on my main system, and I'm looking behind me beacuse I think a Radrat came in my cat door! Or more truthfully, that my cat brought a live bird inside through the cat door.
That’s a good point. However I have to point out that if you take time to position the surrounds(side) in a 5.x system you can get good imaging behind you.
IMO Atmos is worth ditching any legacy setups.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
So I love gaming so should I stick with 7.1? Should I put my surround speakers farther back behind me? And then forget about the rear surrounds and do the height speakers?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So I love gaming so should I stick with 7.1? Should I put my surround speakers farther back behind me? And then forget about the rear surrounds and do the height speakers?
I tho you were going to 5.1.2?
I would...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis