pioneer vsx824-k no sound from rear speakers

F

fitzgerd

Audiophyte
I recently lost my signal from my receiver to tv. After a lot of trouble shooting and changing out the HDMI cable I took a chance on one last thing. I reset the receiver per instructions and blew out the HDMI out port on receiver with canned air. I now have a signal again and have been going thru all the settings for speakers. The problem is I dont have any sound from rear speakers or sub. I have tested all zones and get the test sound thru everything. I feel like Im missing something very simple in the the settings but cannot figure it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
You get nothing when playing normal stuff, or when running the internal test tones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F

fitzgerd

Audiophyte
I have sound from all speakers when doing the internal test zones. No sound from the two rear and sub when watching tv. Two front and center ok.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
What sound mode?
Is it on every tv channel and on bluray/dvd?

F

fitzgerd

Audiophyte
All sound modes, Auto Surround, Surround, and Advanced. I havent tried a Blue Rae but put on an action movie on cable. Nothing

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I dont know pioneer specifically but are the surround speakers set to on/yes?
They are not set as «back surround» but «surround»?
What volume are they set at?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Try RESETTING the AVR..
Here are the steps..
1. Switch the receiver into standby.
2. While holding down BAND, press and holdSTANDBY/ON for about two seconds.
3. When you see RESET? appear in the display, pressAUTO SURROUND/STREAM DIRECT.
4. Press ALC/STANDARD SURR to confirm.
OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset to the factory default settings.

Note that NOW all presets, stations, EQ, surround mode, channel trims are returned to factory defaults.

Just my $0.02... ;)

F

fitzgerd

Audiophyte
I dont know pioneer specifically but are the surround speakers set to on/yes?
They are not set as «back surround» but «surround»?
What volume are they set at?

Yes the speakers are set to on. Volume is set high. Not sure how to check about back surround but surround

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Yes the speakers are set to on. Volume is set high. Not sure how to check about back surround but surround
The surround speakers volume, not the master volume, usually its shown as between -12 and +12.
But doing a full reset like shown above might be a good idea.

Also try different channels and programs, not all have much if any sound in the surrounds.

F

fitzgerd

Audiophyte
I guess I will have to try the factory reset again. Let yall lnow if it works. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious if you had the unit powered when you were messing around with the hdmi ports/cables? By loss of signal was this an hdmi handshake issue perhaps?

F

fitzgerd

Audiophyte
I honestly dont know what that means? Handshake issue. I first thought I had no signal because my Sat box was bad but had ATT out and they said no the box was good. So thats when I changed out the HDMI cable. It worked for a few days and then went back showing No Signal. Bypassed the receiver went straight from box to TV and had worked. I begin to think my HDMI port on back of receiver was bad. Thats when I did the reset on the unit and blew out the port with can air to remove any dust. Its been working fine other than no sound from sub and rear. Been trying to go by manual as far as settings but I have to have something wrong.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
An hdmi handshake issue isn't all that unusual between various different brands connected by hdmi....they simply don't play well together sometimes. Sometimes a specific turn-on sequence is needed to help (like display, then avr, then source). HDMI can short out, tho (thus my question about power being on when you were messing around with the cables/ports), usually IME it's total failure rather than channel specific, too. Never even thought of canned air on a port like that, doesn't seem like it would be bad, but....

Search hdmi handshake issues for some specific examples...I've had certain gear that just didn't play together nicely (in a recent situation, changed out the bluray player and issue was gone).

F

fitzgerd

Audiophyte
I understand what your saying. This system has been in use for over a year together. No problems until the no signal started. Im going to try the reset after while. Thanks

F

fitzgerd

Audiophyte
Try RESETTING the AVR..
Here are the steps..
1. Switch the receiver into standby.
2. While holding down BAND, press and holdSTANDBY/ON for about two seconds.
3. When you see RESET? appear in the display, pressAUTO SURROUND/STREAM DIRECT.
4. Press ALC/STANDARD SURR to confirm.
OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset to the factory default settings.

Note that NOW all presets, stations, EQ, surround mode, channel trims are returned to factory defaults.

Just my $0.02... ;)
Should the factory reset make all the surround modes work?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes even a soft reset (unplugging the avr for a while) can do wonders to a system that's not working correctly; a full reset would be the next level. It may or may not clear up the issue....hard to know what the issue even is.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Should the factory reset make all the surround modes work?
After doing the RESET procedure the AVR should power up just like when it 1st taken out of the box. Be patient and take it step by step....
Use the FM tuner 1st and try the surround modes, the important point is to get the AVR up and running then U can set the specific surround mode, run the the EQ software and set the station presets.. For example, if the FM tuner works fine in the surround mode then U can go to an HDMI or digital source. This way may sound like the long way but it will eliminate any short cuts while familiarizing U with the basics...
Note that the RESET mode will clear out any corrupted software that may be causing a problem. Think about it, like rebooting a PC after doing major updates..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis