Pioneer VSX-LX302 Help

B

bonsey

Audiophyte
Hi, complete newb here who is trying to setup his home theater. I have a brand new Pioneer VSX-LX302 receiver with Definitive ProCinema 600 5.1 surround speakers. I have verified the speakers and sub work on another system. But I can't get any sound out of the Pioneer receiver. I have completed the initial setup but when it does a speaker test, I only get loud clicking from what seems to be the center speaker. Am I doing something wrong or is the receiver faulty from the factory? Any help appreciated. Thx!

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Sounds faulty to me unless you have some wires that are shorted out some where. You said you checked the speakers so we know those work, did you test with the same wires? Are you sure you don't have any wires touching metal on the receiver or another wire when hooking them up?

B

bonsey

Audiophyte
I did not test them with the same wires, as those I have run in the ceiling and put on deadbolt banana plugs. I will try and unplug all my wires and make a short pair just to test.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I did not test them with the same wires, as those I have run in the ceiling and put on deadbolt banana plugs. I will try and unplug all my wires and make a short pair just to test.
Certainly check your speaker wiring very carefully. However this would be an unusual symptom of going into protection mode.

I suspect the receiver is a dud. If it is, you might want to replace it with something else. Pioneer are now part of Onkyblow.

B

bonsey

Audiophyte
I'll check the wiring. I just bought this brand new from BestBuy a few months ago, if its a dud i'll have to see if I can return it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'll check the wiring. I just bought this brand new from BestBuy a few months ago, if its a dud i'll have to see if I can return it.
Most likely not. So you will more likely have to use Pioneer warranty service. I would get on with it, as if the warranty expires and its a dud, it will be a total loss. The cost of repair even though the unit is new will not be worth it.

B

bonsey

Audiophyte
Thanks. I unplugged all my speaker wire and used a short piece with one speaker and did not get anything but a slight buzz. Should this thing produce TV audio right out of the box without any setup other then the initial setup?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. I unplugged all my speaker wire and used a short piece with one speaker and did not get anything but a slight buzz. Should this thing produce TV audio right out of the box without any setup other then the initial setup?
Did you try running the auto setup?

B

bonsey

Audiophyte
If you mean the MCACC auto setup, yes I tried it. The speakers do not produce any sounds and at the end it says something like "no speaker detected", retry or cancel.

Did you try running the auto setup?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you mean the MCACC auto setup, yes I tried it. The speakers do not produce any sounds and at the end it says something like "no speaker detected", retry or cancel.
That's weird, you should do a factory reset and then try again. If still the same then send it out for repair. Why did you let it sit so long?

B

bonsey

Audiophyte
I will try a reset. I purchased it when it was on sale but my basement was not finished yet. The basement is now finished and I am in the process of setting up the A/V system and projector.

That's weird, you should do a factory reset and then try again. If still the same then send it out for repair. Why did you let it sit so long?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will try a reset. I purchased it when it was on sale but my basement was not finished yet. The basement is now finished and I am in the process of setting up the A/V system and projector.
You probably should have a chat with the store manager, explain your situation and he/she may be sympathetic enough to make an exception for you.

There is nothing to lose in trying..

B

bonsey

Audiophyte
I tried the reset and still nothing. The BestBuy store I purchased it from is not near me, I tried the Pioneer link listed above but it is saying invalid model # when I enter VSX-LX302. I will try calling them.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried the reset and still nothing. The BestBuy store I purchased it from is not near me, I tried the Pioneer link listed above but it is saying invalid model # when I enter VSX-LX302. I will try calling them.
This is just my suggestion, again no harm trying, when you call, insist on (but obviously very politely and respectfully, as you are asking for special considerations..) talking to a manager, or at least a supervisor who can make decisions. Then you can explain to him/her about your basement project resulting in the delay setting up of the unit, and that the BB store is far away. If you talk nicely and convincingly they may agree to send you a new one, consider the fact that your unit did fail upon powering up. Only after a long talk, should you agree to send it in for repair.

From my experience in trying to talk to a senior person, be prepared to get stone walled, and to wait for a long time on the phone, so use a land line and be patient.

B

bonsey

Audiophyte
I called the Pioneer customer support line and they walked me through a quick test and determined there is a defect and no audio coming from the terminal. They said I could send it to a local repair shop that is authorized for Pioneer repair or I could try calling BestBuy and talking with someone. I called BestBuy and although they wouldn't exchange or refund it, I can take it to my local BB for them to repair it. If it is irreparable or the cost does not justify repair, they will replace it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I called the Pioneer customer support line and they walked me through a quick test and determined there is a defect and no audio coming from the terminal. They said I could send it to a local repair shop that is authorized for Pioneer repair or I could try calling BestBuy and talking with someone. I called BestBuy and although they wouldn't exchange or refund it, I can take it to my local BB for them to repair it. If it is irreparable or the cost does not justify repair, they will replace it.
Sound fair, but I hope they cannot justify repair.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Here is a list of Pioneer authorized service centers for AV

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis