Pioneer VSX-LX104 Second Zone Trouble Shoot

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"Tried everything" means what exactly? Start with you turned the power to zone 2 on? What input/sources and what you're doing to connect those and the speakers and all that stuff would be helpful. Just be glad if we get you going, then you can spend the money on stuff to listen to :)

C

Cvquick

Enthusiast
Hey, thanks. Sorry for being so vague. New to posting. I have 2 speakers connected to the left and right of zone 2 (only available)for my deck. I can confirm that the speakers work fine. I have tried to change the source for zone 2 on HDMI 1-3, the only optical on the back of the unit, as well as hooking my phone to multiple Red/white audio inputs.
I always have my listening mode set to stereo. Zone 2 is displayed with a little red icon when I click it, and it allows me to change the source, however they always play on my main speakers in the basement. Clicking zone shift 2 and zone shift 3 on the remote doesnt do anything. I’d be happy to share any additional information and/or pictures.
pioneer vsx-lx104 . I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does your avr allow for zone 2 and 3 to playback hdmi content? It might not. It should surely work on the analog, tho. Did you go into input assignment and see what's assigned to what when you're changing input type? Do you have a specific amp assignment to address as well? Did you try the troubleshooting section of your avr manual?

Your main speakers play zone 2 content?....you mean when you both have main zone turned on as well as zone 2 or just zone 2 alone?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Note this is on page 74 of the Operation Manual.
"The audio from externally connected AV components can be output to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog or 2 ch PCM signal..."
But 2 channel output from the internal FM tuner is possible.

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was just looking thru the manual. First thing let's go thru the troubleshooting thing and are you using zone B or 2?

ZONE B function❏Cannot output audio to ZONE B •
To output audio to ZONE B, set the audio output destination to "ZONE A+B" or "ZONE B". ( p75)

Multi-zone function❏
Cannot ZONE-output the audio of externally connected AV components•
To output audio from an externally connected AV component to ZONE 2, connect it to any of HDMI IN1 to IN3 jacks. If the AV component is not equipped with an HDMI jack, use a digital coaxial cable, digital optical cable or analog audio cable. Also, the audio from externally connected AV components can be output to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog or 2ch PCM signal. When the AV component is connected to this unit with an HDMI cable, digital coaxial cable or digital optical cable, change the audio output of the AV component to the PCM output. • When video and audio via HDMI input are output to ZONE 2, set "Input/Output Assign" - "TV Out / OSD" - "Zone 2 HDMI" ( p101) to "Use" on the System Setup menu.❏Others• If the audio signal is from the NET or USB input selector, zone output is not possible for DSD audio signals

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"The audio from externally connected AV components can be output to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog or 2 ch PCM signal..."

Just my $0.02... ;)
Or also you can generally use extra analog outputs and the extra inputs for such on an avr, from a disc player or other component, in addition to the hdmi so you don't have to change the content of the source.

C

Cvquick

Enthusiast

Just my $0.02... ;)
Ok. Thank you. Any idea how I can use my phone to connect to the 2 ch pcm or should I just run these speakers independently?
I’d be trying to play music From my phone to a Bluetooth receiver.
Actually do you have any idea what I can test this with? I have a ps5, not sure what else I’d have that could control that. Thanks though I appreciate it

C

Cvquick

Enthusiast
Seems incredibly limited compared to even a simple AB switch. Any suggestions for reasonably priced amps that would make this easier. This amp does a pretty decent job for my basement theater.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, zones are a bit different from old integrated amps with "B" speakers. Yes, avrs are complex and you need to dive into the details/manual. Your phone connected by analog doesn't need to worry about 2ch pcm content via hdmi, it's already converted to analog. Did you look at the troubleshooting stuff I copied?

Are you using Zone B or multizone 2 connections on the back of the avr for starters? I'd assume you're referring to zone 2 rather than zone B as you likely do not have powered speakers but always good to go thru it step by step.....

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Seems incredibly limited compared to even a simple AB switch. Any suggestions for reasonably priced amps that would make this easier. This amp does a pretty decent job for my basement theater.
Only analog audio output to Zone 2 is very common for many AVRs...
Though ur mentioned AVR can also handle 2-channel PCM to Zone 2.
Basic reason for limited audio decoding for Zone 2 is the audio DSP processor capacity...
Most AVRs just have a single audio DSP so if its busy doing audio surround decoding for the Main Zone, no capacity left for Zone 2. There are some higher end AVRs that can do more elaborate audio decoding for Zone 2 but here U need to check their respective features/specs closely.

Just my $0.02... ;)

C

Cvquick

Enthusiast
Does your avr allow for zone 2 and 3 to playback hdmi content? It might not. It should surely work on the analog, tho. Did you go into input assignment and see what's assigned to what when you're changing input type? Do you have a specific amp assignment to address as well? Did you try the troubleshooting section of your avr manual?

Your main speakers play zone 2 content?....you mean when you both have main zone turned on as well as zone 2 or just zone 2 alone?
Appears it can only play analog or 2 channel pcm. I’ve tried my phone. Getting some great advice here. Thanks.

C

Cvquick

Enthusiast
I was just looking thru the manual. First thing let's go thru the troubleshooting thing and are you using zone B or 2?

ZONE B function❏Cannot output audio to ZONE B •
To output audio to ZONE B, set the audio output destination to "ZONE A+B" or "ZONE B". ( p75)

Multi-zone function❏
Cannot ZONE-output the audio of externally connected AV components•
To output audio from an externally connected AV component to ZONE 2, connect it to any of HDMI IN1 to IN3 jacks. If the AV component is not equipped with an HDMI jack, use a digital coaxial cable, digital optical cable or analog audio cable. Also, the audio from externally connected AV components can be output to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog or 2ch PCM signal. When the AV component is connected to this unit with an HDMI cable, digital coaxial cable or digital optical cable, change the audio output of the AV component to the PCM output. • When video and audio via HDMI input are output to ZONE 2, set "Input/Output Assign" - "TV Out / OSD" - "Zone 2 HDMI" ( p101) to "Use" on the System Setup menu.❏Others• If the audio signal is from the NET or USB input selector, zone output is not possible for DSD audio signals
Thanks! I’m going to troubleshoot after feeding the kids. I’ll let you know how it works. Appreciate it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Appears it can only play analog or 2 channel pcm. I’ve tried my phone. Getting some great advice here. Thanks.
It can play 2ch pcm over hdmi. Analog wouldn't be limited. What I do for my zone 2 stuff is to connect analog output as well as my hdmi output from my disc players for example...that way I can take either signal as needed for the main or 2nd zone.

C

Cvquick

Enthusiast
Still working on the first set up and appreciate it. Figure this would be a no brainer. I have a receiver in my garage and want to control the remote between the siding and the garage. I can get a wire easily between the two and it can be protected. It has an IR in and out and a control in and out . Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis