T

TheSwaz

Audiophyte
yeah thats a good idea too. I am using XP SP2 currently, but have Fedora 6 on another partition....maybe I should try that. I still haven't had an opportunity to call them, so that will probably have to wait until next week sometime. In the meantime, I'm going to try with a different USB cable, in a different USB socket, and see if that does the trick. If not, I'll try to see if my friends laptop works with it.

Was using the advanced MCACC software really worth it to you, or was there only a negligible difference after fine-tuning it all?

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
To tell you the truth, I haven't even tried the software yet. I loaded it to my computer, but I couldn't be bothered to get a serial to usb cable to actually get the data I need from the receiver.

mmdoctor

Audiophyte
Question regarding 9300tx

Thunder18....not sure if anyone will see this post since the last one was over a year ago on this thread, but I'm interested in asking some detailed questions about your previous 9300tx (I read your posting about it getting fried by lightening). Anyway, I currently have the 1015tx (bought it used off Flea-Bay) but wondering if its worth upgrading to the 9300tx (can buy one new)? Is there a way we can hi-jack this thread to another place (or maybe we could correspond via e-mail)? Thanks in advance for your help. From your posts, you are very knowledgable about this receiver.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it. I traded up from a VSX-912 to the VSX-9300TX so there was a huge difference in power between those two.

mmdoctor

Audiophyte
I guess the biggest question I have is whether the 9300 has a USB input in the back? Have heard mixed reports and the few pictures I have been able to find on the internet are not zoomed in enough of the back to really see. It's supposed to be in the lower left corner correct? Also wondering if you might know where I could get a copy of the manual (that would answer pretty much every question I would have)? Tried finding a place to download it on the web, but no luck.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I guess the biggest question I have is whether the 9300 has a USB input in the back? Have heard mixed reports and the few pictures I have been able to find on the internet are not zoomed in enough of the back to really see. It's supposed to be in the lower left corner correct? Also wondering if you might know where I could get a copy of the manual (that would answer pretty much every question I would have)? Tried finding a place to download it on the web, but no luck.
Yes, it is a usb-b input located on the lower left corner(when looking at the back of the receiver). As for the manual, you're better off downloading the VSX-56TXi's manual because it's the same manual save for the parts about iLink which is the only feature the 9300TX doesn't share with the 56TXi. In fact, I don't think Pioneer ever even put the 9300TX on their website. I had purchased mine from BestBuy.com(it wasn't available in store) and had to have Pioneer send me material on it because the only stuff I could find was on Best Buy's website. Apparently it was kind of a custom model made to Best Buy could sell something in the higher mid-range level(this was before they had Magnolia's in Best Buys so they weren't Pioneer Elite authorized retailers at the time).

M

morgandogge

Audiophyte
More Comments on VSX-9300TX

Thanks for keeping this thread going, Thunder18.

I recently acquired a VS-9300TX from Craigslist for dirt cheap. With the exception of HDMI, I am truly enjoying it so much that I am studying its full features using the downloade 56TX owners manual.

One thing I am perplexed about is how to get the default settings for surround sound. In other words , how can you make the 9300 keep the settings of a DVD movie that was originally created in Dolby Digital 5.1 or in DTS. I normally go to the DVD's audio settings and choose my sound options. Somehow, when I do that, the 9300 shows a different surround sound setting on the receiver display.

Besides that, I am very happy. I love the feel of the remote, not flimsy at all compared to the others.

Hey, let's talk some more!

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for keeping this thread going, Thunder18.

I recently acquired a VS-9300TX from Craigslist for dirt cheap. With the exception of HDMI, I am truly enjoying it so much that I am studying its full features using the downloade 56TX owners manual.

One thing I am perplexed about is how to get the default settings for surround sound. In other words , how can you make the 9300 keep the settings of a DVD movie that was originally created in Dolby Digital 5.1 or in DTS. I normally go to the DVD's audio settings and choose my sound options. Somehow, when I do that, the 9300 shows a different surround sound setting on the receiver display.

Besides that, I am very happy. I love the feel of the remote, not flimsy at all compared to the others.

Hey, let's talk some more!
Once you've selected the setting you want in the dvd's menu, select 'movie' mode at the bottom of the remote and use the left/right arrows to select the Dolby Digital or the pro-logic sound mode and press enter. Whenever you play a dvd from then on, it should change to DD as soon as that part of the dvd starts playing. I believe mine also auto switched to DTS when I select DTS tracks so that should take care of it. If you are using any of the other sound fields on the receiver then I don't believe it will default back to DD or DTS. Let me know if that works. Oh, if you're using a 7.1 speaker set, then it will show Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES when playing the core tracks of thos particular sound codecs.

I too love that remote. I had the remote that came with the later remotes. I have big hands and the remote has lots of big buttons on it! Plus, the 2 line LCD display is just cool. I use the rename function to actually put the model name of my equipment in it which is kind of superfluous since I have a Logitech harmony, but it's cool anyway.

M

morgandogge

Audiophyte
More Comments on VSX-9300TX

Thanks, that worked!

You're right, if you select one of the receiver's sound fields, it does not revert back to the what you just selected on the dvd movie's audio setting. You would have to manually revert back using the remote control or the receiver buttons.

I have a 5.1 setup. I am fine with it because the room volume is not great - 12 ft (W) x 18 (L) x 8 (H).

I am pretty amazed at you on how are able to keep this thread going for so long. Thanks again.

P.S. I am currently setting up my components to the 9300's remote control. So far, I have just been successful with the Toshiba SD-2200 dvd player controls.

Here is my setup:
Panasonic TH-50PH10UK (Display Only Plasma)
Pioneer VSX-9300TX
Motorola Comcast DVR cable box
Front speakers - Energy Veritas 2.2
Center - Energy Veritas 2.0C
Surrounds - Home Theater Direct 6-inch in-ceilings
Subwoofer - Energy Micro Star 12.1
Toshiba SD-2200 DVD player
Harmony One remote

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Glad to hear it worked out. I wish we could get an updated list of remote codes. I wonder if the remote codes in the manuals from the later receivers would work??? I may have to try that at some point.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis