Pioneer vsx 815 overload

94venom

Audiophyte
When I play rockband on my ps2 using the reciever it overloads constantly. I though it might be the sub so I unplugged it and it still does it. I am using it with Bose cube speakers and banna clips in the back.
I think the problem might be the center channel speaker. It is where the majority of the sound comes out and when the vocal part of the game comes in that when it shuts down. Do I not have the EQ set up right or on the proper setting. I am a relative noob when it comes to serious home AV.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
The problem is the Bose speakers (and no not because I loathe Bose with everhy fiber of my being.) They are very low ohm rated speakers and should only be used with the Bose recievers that they were designed for. Otherwise when you hook them up to standard recievers they will quickly overlaod it because the speakers are normally running between 2-4ohms and the reciever can't handle this and goes into protect mode. You are basically frying your amp from the inside.

I would either hook up standard bookshelf speakers or reinstall the Bose reciever. My choice would be the former.

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
Bose does sell their cube-speaker systems separately, with the intent on connecting them to normal equipment. They're supposed to be "compatible" with amps and receivers looking for an 8-ohm load according to their poop sheets.

I'd look for a stray strand of wire at the speaker terminals on the back of the receiver causing a weak short.

If you want higher volumes with a midpower midrange receiver and want small-form-factor easy-to-hide loudspeakers, something like the Klipsch Quintets might be to your liking. I believe you'd find them to be a great improvement over the Bose cubes.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

94venom

Audiophyte
Thanks fo rthe responses. I will check out the wiring when I get home. I am building a new house with a 18x15 foot theater room so I am going to overhaul my setup. This site has given me some really good ideas.

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
This is not a very powerful receiver. It sounds like your driving the amp until it clips then it goes into a protect mode. It just doesnt have the power available on hand to keep the speakers going at higher volume

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis