Pioneer VSX-522-K Speaker shut off

D

Don Boisvert

Audiophyte
I have a Pioneer VSx522 receiver. It has an intermittent problem where it generates a loud bang type static noise then the sound goes dead for a minute or so and returns to normal. It is getting more frequent and I stopped using it thinking it will damage something.
I have opened the unit up looking to see if there was an obvious burnt area that would indicate where the problem is. I am suspecting in the output board to the speakers. There is nothing obvious on the board. Do you judge I am in the right direction?
I understand there are codes that you can get from the unit pressing the right buttons on the front of the unit. I have tried to get the sequence to access the code without success. Do you have that information?
I appreciate and insights you could share with me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Pioneer VSx522 receiver. It has an intermittent problem where it generates a loud bang type static noise then the sound goes dead for a minute or so and returns to normal. It is getting more frequent and I stopped using it thinking it will damage something.
I have opened the unit up looking to see if there was an obvious burnt area that would indicate where the problem is. I am suspecting in the output board to the speakers. There is nothing obvious on the board. Do you judge I am in the right direction?
I understand there are codes that you can get from the unit pressing the right buttons on the front of the unit. I have tried to get the sequence to access the code without success. Do you have that information?
I appreciate and insights you could share with me.
I think you are more or less on the right lines.

Power transistors can fail in this way. Holes can open up in the semiconductor material of the power transistors and cause sudden discharges through the power transistors. This causes pops in the speakers, and results in DC offset which rapidly engages protection.

If you have experience in service and the equipment and experience to do the service this is potentially repairable.

I do not advise attempts at repair without test equipment, the correct tools and experience.

That is an older low end receiver, and actually performing beyond the life time I would expect.

You are correct to worry about damage.

I advise replacement if you can not do the repairs.

I recommend you choose a receiver at or above the mid price point.

D

Don Boisvert

Audiophyte
Thank you for your feed back. I appreciate the encouragement. I have worked in industry and dealt with PLC diagnostic. We would go to the board level and just replace the board. Rarely had the need to go to component level on the board. However as you say this unit is beyond life expectancy. I will dig further. Again thank you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your feed back. I appreciate the encouragement. I have worked in industry and dealt with PLC diagnostic. We would go to the board level and just replace the board. Rarely had the need to go to component level on the board. However as you say this unit is beyond life expectancy. I will dig further. Again thank you.
The power transistors won't be on the board, but on the heat sink. All told there will be 10 of them. You will need to find out which pair needs replacing.

Before you do any component replacing you need to determine the exact cause of your problem, as there will be a lot of other possibilities, for instance the main power caps may be breaking down and arcing.

D

Don Boisvert

Audiophyte
Thanks TLS Guy. You have been a great help. I can see from your pictures that you are really into this. I am a beginner. So the coaching you have given me is moving me in the right dierection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis