Pioneer VSX-522-K problems... need help!

J

jfin66

Audiophyte
New here to the forum, but have a problem with my receiver and hoping to find some advice.

Have a VSX-522-K receiver, which has worked well for two years, but having problems with both Roku and Apple TV. Will separate this into two different issues.

1) Roku is getting the green screen when connected to either Game, BD, or DVD port. My receiver is in a media room running a project, with every input running through the receiver, each connected via HDMI cable. The Roku works on another TV when connected directly to it, so I know it's working. But everything I'm trying with the receiver doesn't seem to work.

2) Apple TV problem is more concerning, since we use it more often. It's connected to DVD port but have also tried using BD port, it seems to have a problem streaming anything. I can connect it directly to another TV and the download speeds are as expected, but when connecting to projector/receiver combo, it always fails. We just replaced our Apple TV last week and connected it this afternoon, but this problem is same as the last one. There is nothing wrong with our WiFi (every other device is working just fine), and seems the receiver is doing something to obstruct the streaming. I didn't think that would be possible, but that seems to be the only explanation, since the Apple TV is working in other rooms with direct TV connection.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
I really hate to say this but I think the HDMI board in your receiver is failing. I looked a the specs on your receiver and there is no firmware update, it was an entry lever unit.

2 suggestions:

1) Buy a new receiver, Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!, is a good source. Good opportunity for an upgrade. :) Look at Yamaha and Denon for best value. Onykyo fails too often, stay away.

2) Get a 4 port HDMI switch with Digital audio breakout from monoprice.com. About $50.00. Less expensive and it works well, its what I am doing for now.

Jim

Last edited:
J

jfin66

Audiophyte
Thanks chronos56. That was exactly what I was afraid of. Am assuming Pioneer has a less-than-2 yr warranty, but will look into that. Wasn't looking for the best receiver on the market, thus why I got the Pioneer. Entry level or not though, should last more than 2 years!

Regarding the 2nd option... how does the 4 port HDMI switch work, in terms of getting the right port for DVD, Blue ray, and the appropriate port for Roku and/or Apple TV. E.g. the blue ray player doesn't work when using the DVD port, only the BD port (learned that the hard way)? And from what port on the receiver do you plug in the HDMI switch?

Thanks for your help!

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
Output of HDMI switch directly to TV. A fiber optic cable or digital coax caries the audio to the receiver. No HDMI in the receiver at all. Simple enough to hook up ad use but adds another remote or one more item to manage with a Harmony remote, then it becomes seamless.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks chronos56. That was exactly what I was afraid of. Am assuming Pioneer has a less-than-2 yr warranty, but will look into that. Wasn't looking for the best receiver on the market, thus why I got the Pioneer. Entry level or not though, should last more than 2 years!

Regarding the 2nd option... how does the 4 port HDMI switch work, in terms of getting the right port for DVD, Blue ray, and the appropriate port for Roku and/or Apple TV. E.g. the blue ray player doesn't work when using the DVD port, only the BD port (learned that the hard way)? And from what port on the receiver do you plug in the HDMI switch?

Thanks for your help!
I agree. I think the repeater architecture in your receiver is failing. I would do a reset back to factory defaults and see if that does the trick. If not you you can use the TV as your HDMI switch and use the digital audio out back to your receiver. However most TVs only send out a stereo signal.

The bottom of the market receivers are pretty much junk from all brands, and are prone to blow soon after the warranty period. You need to get to the middle of the range at least.

J

jfin66

Audiophyte
Can I ask you guys what your thoughts are on the Yamaha RX-V575BL model?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can I ask you guys what your thoughts are on the Yamaha RX-V575BL model?
Yamaha seems to be favored here for reliability. However I think it is pushing it to expect a lot of longevity at that price point. If I was the purchaser I would look at the RX-V677.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis