Pioneer VSX-1019AH no sound

M

Mekuf

Audiophyte
Hi.i have a Pioneer ASX-1019AH reciever. A few years ago it just stopped working. Was fine the night before.
FF 5 years and were Spring cleaning and my misses says should fix it sell it or dump it. I decide to spark it up and it worked so hooked up speakers and mp3 audio on mem stick.it took about half hour just randomly pressing b j uttons and suddenly it worked. Worked. Was great for 2 days then i pulled the usb to use for something else and bought a new memstick next day. I formated he new stick and put mp3 files on it. Now there is no sound. Ive unplugged everything. Done resets. Tried pressing buttons like i had 2 days before but stil, no luck.
Anyone help? Advise? Any help would be grear

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi.i have a Pioneer ASX-1019AH reciever. A few years ago it just stopped working. Was fine the night before.
FF 5 years and were Spring cleaning and my misses says should fix it sell it or dump it. I decide to spark it up and it worked so hooked up speakers and mp3 audio on mem stick.it took about half hour just randomly pressing b j uttons and suddenly it worked. Worked. Was great for 2 days then i pulled the usb to use for something else and bought a new memstick next day. I formated he new stick and put mp3 files on it. Now there is no sound. Ive unplugged everything. Done resets. Tried pressing buttons like i had 2 days before but stil, no luck.
Anyone help? Advise? Any help would be grear
Listen to your wife! That receiver is past its sell by date, and needs a trip to the recycling center. You won't fix that problem.

M

Mekuf

Audiophyte
Past its sell by date yes.....not fixable?.....there waslife in it after 5 years. It worked for 2 weeks and even though their isno sound itworks so it isnt a dead horse yet and if i can make use of something instead of contributing to the destruction of this planet then id take theformeroption.....i know you suggestec i recycle how much do you believe gets recycled?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Past its sell by date yes.....not fixable?.....there waslife in it after 5 years. It worked for 2 weeks and even though their isno sound itworks so it isnt a dead horse yet and if i can make use of something instead of contributing to the destruction of this planet then id take theformeroption.....i know you suggestec i recycle how much do you believe gets recycled?
You have a point there. Recycling is a bit of a con. But the fact is, you are not going to fix this receiver unless you are very skilled and have a bench full of sophisticated test equipment. I have a pretty large array of test equipment, but I would be loath to get into a receiver. These are short lived devices. The parts probably are not available. The reason is that a lot of parts are only made once now, due to set up costs, and when the parts are gone they are gone. The life of receivers especially are not long, and yours is pretty much maxed out.
Service manuals are no longer issued, and so if you want it repaired you will have to send it to a factory authorized repair center. That will cost you far more than the unit is worth.

I am with you about electronic waste, but that is the way the system is geared. It is not like it used to be. I have gear working here going back over sixty years. That was a simpler time, and service manuals were easily available and the units were simpler and easier to work on than now.

You can resist all you want, but I gave you the correct advice. You won't fix it, and it is not worth paying someone to do it. That is the way it is now. So in the end you have to face facts. To change the situation will require a huge change of gear in the industry. I personally favor a modular design approach. However that would increase initial price, but make servicing and upgrading much more practical and straightforward.
But it all comes down, to I want it for X, where more expensive Y would be a better option in the long run.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hard to know what you did or didn't do to stop or start it from working :) Seems user knowledge could be an issue here. I'd start with a full reset of the unit per the manual and then follow setup instructions in the manual....pdf here https://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/ephox/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1019AH-K_OperatingInstructions0128.pdf

Another thought, you did power the unit off before trying to change any connections with the avr?
He said in his original post he has done resets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He said in his original post he has done resets.
How particularly? If full resets dont bring back usability would say that's all the OP can do, though, time for a new avr.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

How particularly? If full resets dont bring back usability would say that's all the OP can do, though, time for a new avr.
He said he had done resets. Assuming this included hard resets. This sounds like a hardware problem though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If there is no sound it does not work. Some systems may light up and the video might work. If there is no sound it is a non working unit, as it is not useable in any sense of the word.

M

Mekuf

Audiophyte
You have a point there. Recycling is a bit of a con. But the fact is, you are not going to fix this receiver unless you are very skilled and have a bench full of sophisticated test equipment. I have a pretty large array of test equipment, but I would be loath to get into a receiver. These are short lived devices. The parts probably are not available. The reason is that a lot of parts are only made once now, due to set up costs, and when the parts are gone they are gone. The life of receivers especially are not long, and yours is pretty much maxed out.
Service manuals are no longer issued, and so if you want it repaired you will have to send it to a factory authorized repair center. That will cost you far more than the unit is worth.

I am with you about electronic waste, but that is the way the system is geared. It is not like it used to be. I have gear working here going back over sixty years. That was a simpler time, and service manuals were easily available and the units were simpler and easier to work on than now.

You can resist all you want, but I gave you the correct advice. You won't fix it, and it is not worth paying someone to do it. That is the way it is now. So in the end you have to face facts. To change the situation will require a huge change of gear in the industry. I personally favor a modular design approach. However that would increase initial price, but make servicing and upgrading much more practical and straightforward.
But it all comes down, to I want it for X, where more expensive Y would be a better option in the long run.
Hi. Yes you were correct. In my search for an answer i posted the same post as here the one here as well as sending a message to Pioneer. Pioneer confirmed that getting parts for this piece of equipment would be nigh on impossible as the unit was 15 years old. My apologies.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi. Yes you were correct. In my search for an answer i posted the same post as here the one here as well as sending a message to Pioneer. Pioneer confirmed that getting parts for this piece of equipment would be nigh on impossible as the unit was 15 years old. My apologies.
Thanks for the follow up. Yes, I was just being honest with you, so you did not waste effort and especially not any money.

I do have issues with the longevity of these receivers. In the past this has not been a huge concern, due to the rapid evolution of technology, especially HDMI, so upgrades were required in certain aspects.

Now however the AV environment is maturing and costs per unit have risen. So longevity is a concern. It seems to me that there are two avenues this could be approached. One is modular construction, this could be done in a way to make repair easier and make units able to be upgraded. The other option is requiring at least auto grade components. The problem is that both of these options would make initial cost higher, especially the second option.

Anyhow the bottom line holds, we must all listen to our wives.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis