Pioneer vs. Onkyo vs. Yamaha

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Yamaha HTR-5740
Pioneer VSX-D814K
Onkyo TXSR502

All of the above listed receivers are $299, which is the best for the price?

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Great find, but something seems fishy because that is $200 less than everywhere else. I will have to check the printed add when I get home.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
That 601 is definately the best receiver. However, if its one of the other 3, I would say it depends on your speakers. I personally would choose the Pioneer, but you need to be careful because Pioneer makes a characteristically warm sounding receiver.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Can you explain what you mean by a warm sounding speaker?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Some speakers are very flat and natural. Some are "bright" and seem to have an emphasized treble. Some are warm with a very welcoming and inviting midrange. Everyone has their own preferences as to which sound they lean towards. If you have a warm speaker, a warm receiver will only accentuate it and usually make the effect too strong. The same for two bright pieces of equipment. It's much easier if you hear the differences for yourself, not very easy to explain.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
If indeed the Onkyo 601 is in the same price range, I'd get that over the others in the lineup.

C

cyiu23

Enthusiast
Just to let you all know, alot of places are selling the Onkyo 601 for $300. I think because the 602 are coming out soon they are selling them cheaper Onecall.com might still have it at that price.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Does anyone know how much the 602 will be when it comes out?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
The 600 series has always been priced at 500 so expect the 602 to be right there as well.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I think that I have decided to go with the Pioneer VSX-D814K because of some good reviews that I have read. Also, Best Buy sells it so I can just put it on the credit card.

A

adamd

Audioholic Intern
ecost.com has the Onkyo 601 for $289 delivered
great receiver

U

Unregistered

Rack04,
I would suggest you go to the websites of Pioneer, Onkyo, and Yamaha and read the manuals for the receviers you are considering. As you are just learning about HT and all the connection options, a decent manual and easy to operate receiver is going to be important.

You have flip flopped between Onkyo 502, 602, 601 and Yamaha and now Pioneer. IMO, the Onkyo is the easiest to operate and their manuals are actually understandable. Yamaha has the absolute worst manuals and are needlessly complex to operate. Can't say anything about Pioneer as no direct experience there.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Here is the link to the Onkyo. Has anyone ordered from them before? Yeah I know I have changed my mind many times, but I am just trying to get the best possible deal on a good receiver.

U

Unregistered

never had any problems with the yammy manual...now kenwood yikes !!

T

THXCowboy

Audiophyte
Don't know how it turned out for you in search of the "best" receiver. I run a VSX D812 and I love it. Manual is very easy to figure out and it's the second VSX product I've bought. The first was a simple DolbySurround VSX-3900. (5 band eq - sliders - on the front face; how cheezy was that?) But nonetheless it ran, and still runs, for 12 years now! (Parents use it now to listen to cassette tapes!) Very satisfied Pioneer Guy.

One day ..... top of the line ELITE

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I actually ended up buying a Harman Kardon AVR 230, and I am very happy with my decision. Though, I really haven't had much time to explore everything it has to offer.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Unregistered said:
Yamaha has the absolute worst manuals and are needlessly complex to operate. Can't say anything about Pioneer as no direct experience there.

Unregistered said:
never had any problems with the yammy manual...now kenwood yikes !!
I hope your two different people :eek:

Maybe because I have a technical background and am use to reading mumbo jumbo. But I have the Yamaha RX-V1400 and had no problem with the manual.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis