Pioneer SC-LX 704 High Heat issues.....

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
So the display flashes High Heat with the fans running and automatically lowers my volume from just moderate listening levels. What's strange is that it only happens with my cable box connected to my AVR and not with anything else. Whats even stranger is that In just experimenting with settings, when I raised my crossover from 80hz to 100hz, it solved the problem. Why just with the cable box(Verizon FIOS) does this happen??

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Closest help I found in the manual was this:
Sound suddenly reduces
• When using the unit for extended periods with the temperature inside the unit exceeding a certain temperature, the volume may be reduced
automatically to protect the circuits.

Odd it would happen only with the cable box and/or a 10hz change in xover.....but I have no idea how that could be the difference particularly either. Some sort of ground issue perhaps via the cable box? Do you use other sources/inputs other than the cable box?

Perhaps external cooling help is needed? Is it in a tight space?

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
Closest help I found in the manual was this:
Sound suddenly reduces
• When using the unit for extended periods with the temperature inside the unit exceeding a certain temperature, the volume may be reduced
automatically to protect the circuits.

Odd it would happen only with the cable box and/or a 10hz change in xover.....but I have no idea how that could be the difference particularly either. Some sort of ground issue perhaps via the cable box? Do you use other sources/inputs other than the cable box?

Perhaps external cooling help is needed? Is it in a tight space?
I have my Blu-Ray connected to it also and absolutely no issues whatsoever even listening to some pretty good levels. I don't get it with the cable box. No it's not in a tight space. I could connect it to my LG C1 and eARC the sound to the receiver but why should I have to do that? I'm old school and like having everything connected to my receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So the display flashes High Heat with the fans running and automatically lowers my volume from just moderate listening levels. What's strange is that it only happens with my cable box connected to my AVR and not with anything else. Whats even stranger is that In just experimenting with settings, when I raised my crossover from 80hz to 100hz, it solved the problem. Why just with the cable box(Verizon FIOS) does this happen??
This is a strange one. However I suspect the fault does lie with your FIOS box. I suspect it has a suprasonic oscillation, most likely due to a fault in design. I suspect also that your Pioneer does not block suprasonic hash at the input, which it should. Companies just have to shave a few cents to get that edge, don't they?

The power draw of the receiver is reduced when you up the crossover point and stops thermal protection cutting in.

I suspect your TV may block it, and so connecting the FIOS box to the TV and using eARC may well solve your problem.

My hunch is you are suffering from the interactions of at least a couple of instances of poor design.

Let us know if using the TV eARC route solves the problem.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
Yes it does solve the problem using eARC from the TV. It's just a pain because every time I want to get into the menu of the receiver I have to switch input over to the blu-ray which is connected to the receiver. I'd just rather have everything connected to the same location. I could connect the blu-ray to the TV also and use eARC but then I'd be missing out on DTS since the TV doesn't decode that. So should I exchange the cable box or are they designed this way?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes it does solve the problem using eARC from the TV. It's just a pain because every time I want to get into the menu of the receiver I have to switch input over to the blu-ray which is connected to the receiver. I'd just rather have everything connected to the same location. I could connect the blu-ray to the TV also and use eARC but then I'd be missing out on DTS since the TV doesn't decode that. So should I exchange the cable box or are they designed this way?
I could not possibly guess if your FIOS box is faulty, or designed that way. It is certainly worth changing it. It should not be designed that way, but if it is anything like Xfinity Comcast boxes then it is junk.

One thing I do know, is that your Pioneer receiver is NOT designed correctly. It should not be letting that hash through. That is bad design. So if you can not solve it with exchanging your FIOS box, then you will have to connect it to your TV otherwise it will cause your receiver to fail and it won't take long.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's where a universal remote using macros might be a good addition?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis