Pioneer sc-97 no sound from arc hdmi

M

mluthier

Audiophyte
My sound has been acting up for a few weeks now on my Pioneer sc-97 receiver with arc hdmi I out. to my Samsung tv. Which has been working perfect for the last 4 years. Now when I turn the tv on for the first time in the morning everything works fine external speaker, video ,etc .And for as long as it is on. Once I turn everything off and turn in on again could be one ,2,3,4,5,6,7 hours later no sound from the receiver. Just get video on the tv. Then next morning when I turn it on it works again. Till I turn it off again same thing happens. Seems if it is left off for 12 or more hours the sound and everything works fine the first time it is turn on. Then again soon as I turn it off and back on again I get video but no sound. Its almost like a memory dump happens after a long period of time passes when the the receiver is off. Or might be an on going progression that eventually there will be no sound at all. Could it be a hardware problem. Like the arc hdmi 1 socket bad or software issue controlling the HDCP handshake in the receiver. Tried new cables , tv , all resets updates, settings are all correct. Seems something is failing.Or not communicating. Any advice.Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My sound has been acting up for a few weeks now on my Pioneer sc-97 receiver with arc hdmi I out. to my Samsung tv. Which has been working perfect for the last 4 years. Now when I turn the tv on for the first time in the morning everything works fine external speaker, video ,etc .And for as long as it is on. Once I turn everything off and turn in on again could be one ,2,3,4,5,6,7 hours later no sound from the receiver. Just get video on the tv. Then next morning when I turn it on it works again. Till I turn it off again same thing happens. Seems if it is left off for 12 or more hours the sound and everything works fine the first time it is turn on. Then again soon as I turn it off and back on again I get video but no sound. Its almost like a memory dump happens after a long period of time passes when the the receiver is off. Or might be an on going progression that eventually there will be no sound at all. Could it be a hardware problem. Like the arc hdmi 1 socket bad or software issue controlling the HDCP handshake in the receiver. Tried new cables , tv , all resets updates, settings are all correct. Seems something is failing.Or not communicating. Any advice.Thanks.
There have been a lot of issues with HDMI and arc, especially involving Samsung TVs. The newer eARC seems much more stable. I do try and steer people from Samsung TVs if they are going to use eARC.

Do you know if your trouble started after an update to your TV or receiver?

That receiver is 5 years old in design. I note it is HDMI 2.2, but I can not see where it states it has eARC. I suspect it is ARC, which has a history of being problematic.

I think you have done all you can. My advice is to not use ARC, but use your TV as an end device, and stream from a device connected to your receiver.
I personally do not use ARC. I have eARC on my theater system now, and I use it for Netflix and Amazon prime. On my other two systems I do not use ARC as it is too much of a cluster you know what.

I think unless you have eARC you need to set your system up, so the only button you need on the TV remote is the on/off button.

M

mluthier

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply.I do have Arc not eArc. Just wondering if I can use the hdmi 2 out from the receiver [ instead of the arc hdmi 1 out ] to another hdmi input on the tv [ hdmi 3 ] to get sound and video from my satellite receiver which is connect to my pioneer receiver via component cables, will that bypass the arc problem My tv is a Samsung Un65ks9000 which uses that one box connect, Then at least I can get 5.1 surround and use my speakers. Thanks again.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for your reply.I do have Arc not eArc. Just wondering if I can use the hdmi 2 out from the receiver [ instead of the arc hdmi 1 out ] to another hdmi input on the tv [ hdmi 3 ] to get sound and video from my satellite receiver which is connect to my pioneer receiver via component cables, will that bypass the arc problem My tv is a Samsung Un65ks9000 which uses that one box connect, Then at least I can get 5.1 surround and use my speakers. Thanks again.
I don't understand that connection. ARC is for getting audio from apps on the TV to your receiver and that is all. Everything else should go to the receiver and then to the TV. If you are using analog video connections beyond the analog sunset, then you can expect to have major issues. You need to update your satellite box to one with HDMI. That is an absolute recommendation.

M

mluthier

Audiophyte
I don't understand that connection. ARC is for getting audio from apps on the TV to your receiver and that is all. Everything else should go to the receiver and then to the TV. If you are using analog video connections beyond the analog sunset, then you can expect to have major issues. You need to update your satellite box to one with HDMI. That is an absolute recommendation.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Pioneer has analog(component video) conversion capability and can send cable/sat image via HDMI to TV.

M

mluthier

Audiophyte
Wow what a system. Yes my hdmi from my sat box is faulty.That is why I am running the component cables to my receiver. For me it is most important to have my sat signal going through my home theater system as that is what I watch 90% of the time. But since my arc is not working properly wondering if I can use another hdmi out on the receiver to another input on the tv one connect box. Or can I leave the arc cable in place and add the optical cabe from the receiver to the tv connection box to get me sound .Again thanks for your time.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You do not need to change HDMI inputs/outputs. In TV settings, turn Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) off. In the Pioneer, turn Kuro Link(HDMI-CEC) off. This will disable ARC. If you want TV app audio back to Pioneer, use an optical cable from the TV optical output to the Pioneer’s optical input #1, which is set to TV input by default. That Samsung model does not support Atmos, just DD+ and you will not hear a difference from the DD 5.1 that the optical cable is capable of passing compared to the DD+ signal via ARC.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m assuming you are using the coaxial #1 input on the Pioneer for the audio from the sat box.

M

mluthier

Audiophyte
From sat box to receiver component for video and analog for audio.I will try what u suggested. Thanks. No luck when I turn off Anynet on the tv. the speaker setting defaults to tv speaker and there is no hdmi receiver choice,

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

From sat box to receiver component for video and analog for audio.I will try what u suggested. Thanks. No luck when I turn off Anynet on the tv. the speaker setting defaults to tv speaker and there is no hdmi receiver choice,
He has given you the correct advice. An optical return will give the same quality as ARC.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
With Anynet+ OFF, you will not have the Receiver option and need to select the Optical Out option in the TV sound settings for sound to go from the TV apps/tuner to the Pioneer.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I also agree with TLS about the sat box. If it is an older model, you may be having HDMI issues because of the HDMI version. If your service allows a swap for a newer model, it may be worthwhile. If you care to experiment, you can connect the sat box once again to the Pioneer via HDMI and then go into the TV and turn OFF HDMI UHD Color. UHD color setting supports HDMI 2.0 and your sat box is very likely a 1.4 device. Turning this off may get you a picture via HDMI from your sat box as it caps everything coming to the TV from the Pioneer to 4:2:0. Now, this will also result in forced HDR>SDR conversion from streaming devices and UHD players. Interestingly, this results in a better picture on some Samsung models as their HDR color gamut is not very good and they actually look better in SDR.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis