Audioholic
I've been offered a Pioneer SA-608 for $180.00. What can the forum tell me about this unit? I cannot find any reviews online.

Intended usage would be for my 13 yr. old daughter who is interested in vinyl. I also have a Yamaha CR-240, which I just had serviced I was planning on giving her for this use, but I could always use the Yamaha for a garage or spare bedroom.

What say you?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've been offered a Pioneer SA-608 for $180.00. What can the forum tell me about this unit? I cannot find any reviews online.

Intended usage would be for my 13 yr. old daughter who is interested in vinyl. I also have a Yamaha CR-240, which I just had serviced I was planning on giving her for this use, but I could always use the Yamaha for a garage or spare bedroom.

What say you?
The Pioneer is the much better of the two receivers. Yamaha electronics was not really top line back then. Pioneer was higher up the food chain and is the more powerful amp. If that Pioneer receiver is working and it is in good shape, that is a good price, in fact cheap.

I would put the Yamaha in the garage and give your daughter the Pioneer.

Audioholic
Dangit. I just went back to buy that SA-608 & it had already sold.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The old gear goes for more than its generally worth....I'd just source new gear. What other features does your daughter want other than an mm vinyl pre-amp stage?

Audioholic
Maybe the ability to stream from her phone. WiiM or a Bluetooth adaptor will solve that. Really just vinyl for now. That Yamaha CR-240 will work fine. We can always upgrade her equipment at some point in the future. I prefer vintage gear and don't want to make a big investment in her system at this point. Also, I will not buy anything MIC.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe the ability to stream from her phone. WiiM or a Bluetooth adaptor will solve that. Really just vinyl for now. That Yamaha CR-240 will work fine. We can always upgrade her equipment at some point in the future. I prefer vintage gear and don't want to make a big investment in her system at this point. Also, I will not buy anything MIC.
MIC? A phono stage with something more modern will work fine. There's no magic in old stuff for the most part.

Audioholic
MIC = made in chiner

The Yamaha will work fine for vinyl. What did you have in mind?

Audioholic
I will not support a country that is our mortal enemy. None of my audio equipment is MIC and none is newer than about 1992. I don't purchase anything MIC unless the is absolutely no alternative.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will not support a country that is our mortal enemy. None of my audio equipment is MIC and none is newer than about 1992. I don't purchase anything MIC unless the is absolutely no alternative.
You'll find it near impossible to avoid origin of components in builds....then again the US isn't exactly innocent in bullshit either.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's just stupid.
Apart from the spelling, its not stupid. I avoid Chinese products as much as I can. Very little of my gear is made in China. Out of all my speaker drivers only a couple of tweeter and my four ceiling speakers are made in China. The ceiling speakers were designed in the UK and based on Ted Jordan's work. But 59 were not made in China, or even Asia. The vast majority of my electronics was made in the UK, Switzerland or the US. All my power amps were built in the UK. I think we will pay a huge price for allowing so much of our manufacturing base move to China.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The old gear goes for more than its generally worth....I'd just source new gear. What other features does your daughter want other than an mm vinyl pre-amp stage?
The value of anything is worth what someone will pay for it. It always has been and will be.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

MIC = made in chiner

The Yamaha will work fine for vinyl. What did you have in mind?
For what your daughter needs, a vintage receiver is your best option. Modern equivalents are very poorly built compared to that older gear. There are huge numbers of good older receivers on eBay. There are some really good buys under $300.00 on now

Audioholic
@TLS Guy: Thanks. I already have my very recently serviced Yamaha CR-240, so that will definitely work for now. I agree that most modern gear isn't built near as well as the older gear, unless perhaps, one is willing to pay thousands for their gear - i.e. new MAC or ARC gear. Certainly an order magnitude better than any modern mid-fi. + it doesn't't have any crappy MIC parts.

Audioholic
Turns out that $188.00 Pioneer SA-608 was 230 Volts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis