Pioneer PD-M6 power issue

D

D Hook

Audiophyte
Bought this when they first came out in the 80's. Used for several years but then got put in the attic about 15 years ago. Worked fine when it went into storage. Pulled it out today to use and when I plugged it in and turned it on, all I got was a steady clickiing like a relay. About 2 clicks/second. No lights on the display at all, no response to any buttons. It was cold in the attic so I'm letting it warm up to room temp before trying again, just in case the low temp in the attic may have an effect on the power relay or something.

If anyone has any experience with this type of issue, would love to have some insight, ideas or where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Bought this when they first came out in the 80's. Used for several years but then got put in the attic about 15 years ago. Worked fine when it went into storage. Pulled it out today to use and when I plugged it in and turned it on, all I got was a steady clickiing like a relay. About 2 clicks/second. No lights on the display at all, no response to any buttons. It was cold in the attic so I'm letting it warm up to room temp before trying again, just in case the low temp in the attic may have an effect on the power relay or something.

If anyone has any experience with this type of issue, would love to have some insight, ideas or where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Electronics shouldn't be stored in an attic. I don't know where you live, but the extremes of temperature, humidity, etc can be brutal. BTW- if it's cold and you bring it into a heated space, it's very possible for condensation to cause moisture to collect on all of the circuits- best to store electronics in a sealed plastic bag and let it come up to temperature before opening the bag. Also, it's best to put a silica gel packet in before sealing the bag- this is the reason all electronics come packed that way.

D

D Hook

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it gets some pretty wide temp swings in the attic and now that I know this, I intend to move it all into a better, more climate controlled storage area of the house. Thanks for the info!

So maybe a power relay issue or something?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it gets some pretty wide temp swings in the attic and now that I know this, I intend to move it all into a better, more climate controlled storage area of the house. Thanks for the info!

So maybe a power relay issue or something?
Maybe, but it could be that something is out of range or that contacts or controls need to be cleaned. See if you can find a service manual online.

D

D Hook

Audiophyte
I managed to find a nice replacement for the M6. Found a seller that had a PD-M411 that works great. Now the problem I'm having is to find an owners manual for it and a remote. I thought my M6 remote would be compatible but apparently not. Not even sure the M411 came with a remote control feature. Have done several google searches and looked on ebay but can't find a product number for the M411 remote. Anyone have one of these models that can fill in a few info blanks?
Thanks!

BTW, I brought all my other equipment out of the attic and tested and all is working fine. Just the M6 CD player appears to be the only temp swing victim. Glad I got that tip! Stored in safe place now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis