Pioneer MCACC w/Wireless sur. gets the speaker distance wrong...how to proceed?

B

blzntnt

Audiophyte
i have the rocketfish wireless surround kit hooked up to some Klipsch surround speakers(made sure it wasn't the speakers by switching them out with my old ones)....so i run auto MCACC, my room size is 12'x16' with the surrounds about 6' away on either side from the main listening point...it tells me that my speakers are 35' away, way off!

So I know the speaker distance within the pioneer avr or at least to my understanding sets a delay depending on what the speaker distance is set at.

So my questions are:

Is this speaker distance being set to compensate for the fact that it is a wireless set-up....i know the avr doesnt know that it is wireless, but is that really the delay u get when using wireless?

If not a delay from the wireless then is it the avr having to push a higher signal to the wireless transmitter to achieve a test tone volume it measures the speaker distance from? I am pretty sure the transmitter is pushing the signal to a 42 watt/channel receiver/amp...compared to the sc-61 125 watts/channel?

So how do i proceed...leave them at what MCACC calibrated? Change to the correct distance? BTW my fronts and sub were calibrated with the correct distance.

Thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't be surprised to see a distance calculation offset of that magnitude using a wireless system. The speed of sound at sea level is approximately 1100 ft/s, so the delta calculation of 29 feet equates to a time offset of about 26 ms. I did a quick (and not exhaustive) search for Rocketfish system latency, and one of their manuals suggests offsetting speaker delays by 15-20 ms. So, it's in the right ballpark.

I don't believe that the speaker distance setting has anything to do with the power level of the Rocketfish amp - that will show up in the speaker level setting.

I would leave the settings chosen by MCAAC unless it sounds wrong. If it's a bad calculation, you'll hear it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, Adam nailed it, and you just about answered your own question.

I have a pioneer elite and the Rocketfish wireless for my surrounds. It thinks my surrounds are about 35 feet away and they most certainly are not that far away. It just has some lag b/w when the receiver sends the signal, the Rocketfish processes and transmits it, and then it finally gets output by the speaker. The algorithm "doesn't know any better", so it will simply send those signals a bit earlier than normal to compensate for the lag that it perceives as a longer distance.

Leave it as-is (as long as no noticeable problems), and enjoy.

BTW, I run the room correction only for movies and use direct mode or pure direct for music.

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
You all beat me to it.

Leave it as-is. It is counting the latency in the distance. This will only effect when the sound signal is sent, and will not effect loudness or EQ. At least this is my understanding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis