Pioneer makes TVs again?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Look at the side profile of this bottom scrapper. It must be a 20-year-old tech.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I hope Pioneer didn't sell their name like Nakamichi did a while back, allowing their label on basically crap products. That POS tv posted is a far cry from their KURO line...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I hope Pioneer didn't sell their name like Nakamichi did a while back, allowing their label on basically crap products. That POS tv posted is a far cry from their KURO line...
That's what I'm afraid of. Is it just going to be TVs? We going to see other garbage like this?

Pioneer still makes a lot of their own stuff, weird they'd license their name when they're still around.

Reminds me of when Polaroid went under and put their name on random TVs. Garbage TVs that sold well because of the name.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think that Pioneer has done this before and basically it went nowhere. They licensed the Kuro name to a LCD display, and basically the industry has an expectation of what that meant, and it completely flopped. There is no way that Pioneer is making displays again. Just none. But, they likely are licensing it out to a manufacturer who is doing the work for them. Not sure how that will impact service. But, at the end of the day, I don't really care. I will read reviews, and I'm sure there will be a ton, then we can decide if this is just another entry level option, or if it is worth discussion.

I would have been interesting to see them come in with a OLED variation. That could have actually made a lot of heads turn.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think that Pioneer has done this before and basically it went nowhere. They licensed the Kuro name to a LCD display, and basically the industry has an expectation of what that meant, and it completely flopped. There is no way that Pioneer is making displays again. Just none. But, they likely are licensing it out to a manufacturer who is doing the work for them. Not sure how that will impact service. But, at the end of the day, I don't really care. I will read reviews, and I'm sure there will be a ton, then we can decide if this is just another entry level option, or if it is worth discussion.

I would have been interesting to see them come in with a OLED variation. That could have actually made a lot of heads turn.
The fact that it isn't on their site or any other from what I can find tells me you're probably right. I would love to see an OLED from them or Panasonic make it to the US.

Didn't Pioneer rebadge JVC projectors as their own at one point too? Rebadge probably isn't the right word though.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The fact that it isn't on their site or any other from what I can find tells me you're probably right. I would love to see an OLED from them or Panasonic make it to the US.

Didn't Pioneer rebadge JVC projectors as their own at one point too? Rebadge probably isn't the right word though.
There wasn't even much hiding with the Pioneer/JVC projector...

But, this is not at all like Panasonic and their exit from the US market. Panasonic still has professional TVs which are sold into businesses all over the nation. I really like what they've put on on the pro-lineup. But, their consumer displays they just don't know how to market here. Such is life.

Pioneer's TV is also on the Best Buy website, and I imagine it may show up on the Pioneer website after it is officially released. But, this is a Amazon device, which indicates to me that it's a very entry level model.

Pioneer is simply not the brand I think it used to be and they are pretty clearly making a money grab on this one from what it looks like. I will wait for reviews, and I'm happy to be surprised by things, but common sense tells me not to expect much here.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There wasn't even much hiding with the Pioneer/JVC projector...

But, this is not at all like Panasonic and their exit from the US market. Panasonic still has professional TVs which are sold into businesses all over the nation. I really like what they've put on on the pro-lineup. But, their consumer displays they just don't know how to market here. Such is life.

Pioneer's TV is also on the Best Buy website, and I imagine it may show up on the Pioneer website after it is officially released. But, this is a Amazon device, which indicates to me that it's a very entry level model.

Pioneer is simply not the brand I think it used to be and they are pretty clearly making a money grab on this one from what it looks like. I will wait for reviews, and I'm happy to be surprised by things, but common sense tells me not to expect much here.
Oh I'm well aware of Panasonic and all that. I'm still unhappy we can't get their consumer sets here anymore. I'd wager they'd be even better than the Sony OLEDs we have available.

When I first posted, best buy didn't even have it. I would imagine I just happened to catch it pretty early. I don't for one second think this is Pioneer actively trying to get back into TVs, but more Sound United (or whoever their business daddy is) wanting to make a quick buck selling the name.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Oh I'm well aware of Panasonic and all that. I'm still unhappy we can't get their consumer sets here anymore. I'd wager they'd be even better than the Sony OLEDs we have available.

When I first posted, best buy didn't even have it. I would imagine I just happened to catch it pretty early. I don't for one second think this is Pioneer actively trying to get back into TVs, but more Sound United (or whoever their business daddy is) wanting to make a quick buck selling the name.
I’m still using a panny plasma I found at thrift store for like $50 bucks , real shame they left the USA tv market …
Not sure if this pioneer is going to be worth it or not … probably a new Chinese owner ???

I came close to going for there elite line once but went with onkyo avr .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
I just replaced my Pioneer Elite 111FD Kuro plasma with the LG C1. It's too bad they abandoned the plasma technology and we were stuck with crappy LCD's all those years. It's why I kept my Kuro. I would love to see Pioneer stay in the TV business and make OLED or at least improve on the plasma technology. I don't think it should have been abandoned. Look how long my lasted and it was still looking good. I still have two other plasma's.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just replaced my Pioneer Elite 111FD Kuro plasma with the LG C1. It's too bad they abandoned the plasma technology and we were stuck with crappy LCD's all those years. It's why I kept my Kuro. I would love to see Pioneer stay in the TV business and make OLED or at least improve on the plasma technology. I don't think it should have been abandoned. Look how long my lasted and it was still looking good. I still have two other plasma's.
While they last a long time, re-tooling the factories for 4k plasmas was too expensive. Especially since newer tech that really is a good step forward was already in place.

I'm very happy with my OLED so far, but I'm still concerned about panel life. This TV is in my living room, so it is by FAR the most used TV in the house.

A "cheap" 70" vizio made it two years. I better get at least 5 out of this OLED. Panasonic plasma is creeping up on 10 years old, and is still working pretty much perfectly.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I think it was gonna be next to impossible to make 4k plasma TV's.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Panasonic plasma is creeping up on 10 years old, and is still working pretty much perfectly.
Mine is also at least 10 years old and still working pretty well. Reliable products like those are no longer manufactured.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
While they last a long time, re-tooling the factories for 4k plasmas was too expensive. Especially since newer tech that really is a good step forward was already in place.

I'm very happy with my OLED so far, but I'm still concerned about panel life. This TV is in my living room, so it is by FAR the most used TV in the house.

A "cheap" 70" vizio made it two years. I better get at least 5 out of this OLED. Panasonic plasma is creeping up on 10 years old, and is still working pretty much perfectly.
Yeah it’s funny my dad said plasmas are junk those new budget cheapo tvs are better, I was like no just cable looks bad on them …
Why Lots of hate for plasmas for some reason ??
people think cheap = good ? His tv was over 3 grand I think . So he doesn’t buy cheap ..
It’s dying though lines on screen, last very long 14 years so far Samsung 3D tv.
Can’t believe vizio die so quickly, must’ve been a Dud panel.
I wonder how long it will last and burning in an issue or not?
pic quality a big step above qled ?
LEDs seem really pixelated sometimes.
I’ll definitely need something better in a couple years ..

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah it’s funny my dad said plasmas are junk those new budget cheapo tvs are better, I was like no just cable looks bad on them …
Why Lots of hate for plasmas for some reason ??
people think cheap = good ? His tv was over 3 grand I think . So he doesn’t buy cheap ..
It’s dying though lines on screen, last very long 14 years so far Samsung 3D tv.
Can’t believe vizio die so quickly, must’ve been a Dud panel.
I wonder how long it will last and burning in an issue or not?
pic quality a big step above qled ?
LEDs seem really pixelated sometimes.
I’ll definitely need something better in a couple years ..
I can't believe you've been a member for over two years now and you still don't know the terminology and get it severely wrong and state things that are flat out incorrect.

There is little hate for plasma. They were the best displays on the market for years, and well loved and respected. They are just very old now. Years since the last plasma was manufactured. So, we've seen huge leaps forward in LCD technology and OLED basically has put even the best plasmas out to pasture.

People think cheap equals cheap. Saving half on a product knowing you are getting something okay is perfectly fine for the vast majority.

All manufacturers have bad products. From Sony and Samsung to all the rest. Cheaper products often have cheaper components though which makes them die earlier even if they look great on day one.

Burn in is an issue on the following two techs: PLASMA & OLED
LCD displays can have some image retention on long term use, but this is extremely rare to the point of being inconsequential for home users.
Pic quality of 'what' a big step above QLED? QLED is just a marketing concept for another type of LCD panel. It's still LCD.
LEDs are super pixelated. They are huge. But, I think you mean LED backlit LCD. Which has nothing to do with pixelization. Pixelization is almost always because your source sucks. Garbage in, garbage out. A really good processor and TV can help some, but if it is bad to begin with, it will look jenk on the output.

You need a job, not a TV.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I can't believe you've been a member for over two years now and you still don't know the terminology and get it severely wrong and state things that are flat out incorrect.

There is little hate for plasma. They were the best displays on the market for years, and well loved and respected. They are just very old now. Years since the last plasma was manufactured. So, we've seen huge leaps forward in LCD technology and OLED basically has put even the best plasmas out to pasture.

People think cheap equals cheap. Saving half on a product knowing you are getting something okay is perfectly fine for the vast majority.

All manufacturers have bad products. From Sony and Samsung to all the rest. Cheaper products often have cheaper components though which makes them die earlier even if they look great on day one.

Burn in is an issue on the following two techs: PLASMA & OLED
LCD displays can have some image retention on long term use, but this is extremely rare to the point of being inconsequential for home users.
Pic quality of 'what' a big step above QLED? QLED is just a marketing concept for another type of LCD panel. It's still LCD.
LEDs are super pixelated. They are huge. But, I think you mean LED backlit LCD. Which has nothing to do with pixelization. Pixelization is almost always because your source sucks. Garbage in, garbage out. A really good processor and TV can help some, but if it is bad to begin with, it will look jenk on the output.

You need a job, not a TV.
I know QLED are also LCDs, I just said those because supposedly better then regular leds but maybe now it’s not the case??
Yeah I can’t get one until I get a job , so even a top of the line tv won’t display low quality sources like cable etc ? Dvds ?? Any better then a midrange model ?
I could just have a Dud panel because of the rise in 4K Blu-ray’s don’t look amazing , even a non-HDR TV Should look amazing.
lots of blooming issues in the LED, I never see it from anything but movies.
I’m not concerned about buying a TV anytime soon just trying to get a better understanding of the technologies, for when I do get a better TV.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That's what I'm afraid of. Is it just going to be TVs? We going to see other garbage like this?

Pioneer still makes a lot of their own stuff, weird they'd license their name when they're still around.

Reminds me of when Polaroid went under and put their name on random TVs. Garbage TVs that sold well because of the name.
The real question is what company makes these panels for pioneer and are they not Chinese junk??
I hear Panasonic still makes TVs but I’ve gone gone in America for like 5-10 years, Very lame because they had some spectacular TVs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis