Pioneer just noise coming

E

Edsbyn123

Audiophyte
Hello!
I have bought an Apple Tv 4k 3gen.

It is connected to my Philips 65pus8204_12 via hdmi and my Pioneer vsx521 is also connected via hdmi arc to my tv.
When i watch youtube or anything like that, the sound comes out in stereo and everything works fine.
But if I start movies in 4k on netflix or some other app, it just crackles out of the speakers.

I have changed the setting in the apple tv to re-encode the sound to Dolby Digital 5.1 but it is still the same problem.

I can use an optical cable and then it works, but with that I can't control the volume on the receiver with the apple tv remote…

Help would be woderful!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hello!

It is connected to my Philips 65pus8204_12 via hdmi and my Pioneer vsx521 is also connected via hdmi arc to my tv.
When i watch youtube or anything like that, the sound comes out in stereo and everything works fine.
But if I start movies in 4k on netflix or some other app, it just crackles out of the speakers.

I have changed the setting in the apple tv to re-encode the sound to Dolby Digital 5.1 but it is still the same problem.

I can use an optical cable and then it works, but with that I can't control the volume on the receiver with the apple tv remote…

Help would be woderful!
Switch to optical out from your TV and then to the Pioneer and select it as the source for the Apple TV input and create one for a TV input. Hopefully your TV will output 5.1 over optical, check your manual.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello!

Help would be woderful!
I think you problem is that receiver is 12 years old, and you have compatibility HDMI issues. So your receiver has ARC and not eARC. I suspect you might solve this if you run everything via the receiver. Of course then you could not use the APs in the TV.

The optical has the same bandwidth as the old ARC, so you are not loosing anything.

I suspect that if you used a ROKU device for streaming rather than the TV, this would also solve the problem.

The old ARC was always a problem child. eARC is a big improvement, but still not entirely free of issues.

Unfortunately you are fighting obsolescence.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You are in a bit of a pickle.The Apple TV 4K converts everything to LPCM. So multichannel tracks converted to LPCM will require eARC bandwidth. The TV and receiver support the limited bandwidth of ARC. The two channel signals will work but not anything more.

Down Converting to Dolby Digital 5.1 in the Apple TV 4K should have worked. Check the HDMI input and sound output of the TV. It may not be set at Passthrough and could be set at Auto or PCM which would result in even more conversions before output over ARC to the receiver.

Even with an optical connection from the TV to the receiver, the Apple TV 4K remote controller can be configured to control the volume of the receiver using IR by going into Settings>Remotes and Devices>Volume Control>Receiver via IR.

The ARC spec does support lossy Atmos/DD+ 7.1 while optical just lossy DD 5.1. But, the Apple TV 4K does NOT bitstream audio and automatically converts LPCM. For those with older receivers without 4K and eARC, the Apple TV 4K will be difficult to incorporate into the system when setting up a direct connection to the TV.

New TVs that support eARC are not equal in their implementation of it and a direct connection of a device to any of these TVs can be a nightmare based on a few settings. When connecting an eARC capable TV to an ARC capable receiver, eARC must be turn OFF in the TV so that only the limited bandwidth signals of ARC are sent to the receiver.

While eARC can work with HDMI-CEC turned OFF in both the TV and receiver, HDMI-CEC must be turned ON when using ARC.

E

Edsbyn123

Audiophyte
You are in a bit of a pickle.The Apple TV 4K converts everything to LPCM. So multichannel tracks converted to LPCM will require eARC bandwidth. The TV and receiver support the limited bandwidth of ARC. The two channel signals will work but not anything more.

Down Converting to Dolby Digital 5.1 in the Apple TV 4K should have worked. Check the HDMI input and sound output of the TV. It may not be set at Passthrough and could be set at Auto or PCM which would result in even more conversions before output over ARC to the receiver.

Even with an optical connection from the TV to the receiver, the Apple TV 4K remote controller can be configured to control the volume of the receiver using IR by going into Settings>Remotes and Devices>Volume Control>Receiver via IR.

The ARC spec does support lossy Atmos/DD+ 7.1 while optical just lossy DD 5.1. But, the Apple TV 4K does NOT bitstream audio and automatically converts LPCM. For those with older receivers without 4K and eARC, the Apple TV 4K will be difficult to incorporate into the system when setting up a direct connection to the TV.

New TVs that support eARC are not equal in their implementation of it and a direct connection of a device to any of these TVs can be a nightmare based on a few settings. When connecting an eARC capable TV to an ARC capable receiver, eARC must be turn OFF in the TV so that only the limited bandwidth signals of ARC are sent to the receiver.

While eARC can work with HDMI-CEC turned OFF in both the TV and receiver, HDMI-CEC must be turned ON when using ARC.
Tried to controll the reciever trough the Apple TV remote with ir, but it did not work great.
Had to press volume up multiple times quickly to increase the the receivers volume one step

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Results will vary with different AVRs. Make sure to point the remote controller at the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis