Z

zigzag03

Audioholic Intern
Can anyone give me any hard insight regarding the differences between a standard Pioneer a/v amp and their Elite series? For instance, a VSX-1016TXV @ $500msrp vs a VSX-80TXV Elite @ $650... I'm shopping for a reasonably priced amp (which in this case means less than $1000) that will take advantage of the HDMI input on my new widescreen and these are a couple of units that would appear to qualify. thanks zz03

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I know the Elite receivers get you a 2 year warranty versus the regular line's 1 year. That's all I can think of off hand. Going up the VSX-8xTXV line you get more HDMI inputs and Faroudja scaling capabilities.

Z

zigzag03

Audioholic Intern
thanks thunder18, and you are happy with your pioneer choice?

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
Pioneer Elite

I have to agree as well with the previous post. The VSX-1016 is basically a rebadge Elite. The Elite line may have better DAC's then the standard line but you would be hard press to tell the difference when listening to the low end Elite models. The Pioneer VSX 1015 has received numerous positive reviews and I expect the 1016 to follow in the same step, plus it's THX Select certified so at least you know it will pass muster with the majority of speakers systems out there.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver options

In your price range, check out the Yamaha RX-V2600. They are releasing a new 2700 model at the CEDIA show, so the price should drop even further.

Z

zigzag03

Audioholic Intern
what do you think of the HTR 5990 yammie? a touch more power, no thx... $200 cheaper more or less.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
zigzag03 said:
what do you think of the HTR 5990 yammie? a touch more power, no thx... $200 cheaper more or less.
The 5990 is THX certified.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
zigzag03 said:
thanks thunder18, and you are happy with your pioneer choice?
Actually, I had the non-elite version of this receiver, the VSX-9300TX prior to the 56TXi and I liked it just fine. The only reason I have the Elite is because my other one was struck by lightning and Best Buy felt it was in their best interests to trade me up to the 56TXi after I convinced them that they were the same receiver except for the iLINK.

Anyway, in all honesty, the 1016TX is probaby the same as the new 80TX just like the 1015TX was the same as the 52TX. It's not until you go farther up the line that you are able to fairly easily separate them from each other.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha models

zigzag03 said:
The Yamaha HTR-5990 is comparable to the Yamaha RX-V1600. I think that the 2600 add video upscalling and a little more power.

Z

zigzag03

Audioholic Intern
i saw an ebay auction for a 5990 and that seller also claimed thx cert but if one goes to the yammie web site, one is hard pressed to find any mention of it there while prominently displayed on the 2600 page. is thx a big deal in anyone's opinion? and thank you all for your input, most informative. zz03

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
zigzag03 said:
i saw an ebay auction for a 5990 and that seller also claimed thx cert but if one goes to the yammie web site, one is hard pressed to find any mention of it there while prominently displayed on the 2600 page. is thx a big deal in anyone's opinion? and thank you all for your input, most informative. zz03
I don't care what the website says, I've seen the 5990 in person and it for sure has THX certification.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis