Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103 7.2CH Atmos AV Receiver Inflates Power Not Price!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We recently previewed the Onkyo TX-SR383 and since Onkyo bought Pioneer's Home Theater Entertainment section a few years ago, it was only a matter of time until receivers with similar feature sets and performance came out from Pioneer. The Pioneer VSX-LX103 is a $499, 7.2 channel receiver with all the video bells and whistles that we liked about the Onkyo TX-SR383 but with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X processing. Sadly, parent company Onkyo appears to be rubbing off on Pioneer by artificially and erroneously inflating the power ratings by stating 170 watts/ch despite it actually only be 80 watts/ch. Read on for more details.

vs-lx103.jpg

Read: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103 7.2CH Atmos AV Receiver Inflates Power Not Price!

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
"While it may seem we've been coming down hard on receiver manufacturers to honestly disclose power ratings per FTC, we think it's necessary to keep them honest."

I applaud Gene taking the initiative doing this. Its too bad in print magazines and other review sites didn't do this years ago for contrast ratio's that TV manufacturer's advertising departments try passing off as specs. They are basically meaningless at this point.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Check out the Pioneer website, they show both power output specs; 1st @ 170 Watts 1 channel driven, 6 Ohms 10%THD and the 2nd @ 80W/ch, 2 channels driven, 8 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz. As we posted previously as meaningless as the 6 Ohms 10%THD specs are, all of the major consumer mass-market AVR brands do it. They have little choice as they need to appear to stay competitive with the other brands. Unlike in previous years before the internet we had Brick & Mortar stores to explain the differences now we only have E-Bay, Walmart, Amazon. Here the shopper needs to read the specs carefully and stay with the established brands. At least both disclosures are given, unlike the Pyle products on Amazon...
Where U can still get 2KW without mention of THD % or bandwidth for $169.. :confused::mad::(

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PMXAKB2000-Amplifier-Built-Microphone/dp/B013AVFXQQ

Just my $0.02.. ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Check out the Pioneer website, they show both power output specs; 1st @ 170 Watts 1 channel driven, 6 Ohms 10%THD and the 2nd @ 80W/ch, 2 channels driven, 8 Ohms, 20Hz-20kHz. As we posted previously as meaningless as the 6 Ohms 10%THD specs are, all of the major consumer mass-market AVR brands do it. They have little choice as they need to appear to stay competitive with the other brands. Unlike in previous years before the internet we had Brick & Mortar stores to explain the differences now we only have E-Bay, Walmart, Amazon. Here the shopper needs to read the specs carefully and stay with the established brands. At least both disclosures are given, unlike the Pyle products on Amazon...
Where U can still get 2KW without mention of THD % or bandwidth for $169.. :confused::mad::(

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PMXAKB2000-Amplifier-Built-Microphone/dp/B013AVFXQQ

Just my $0.02.. ;)
They only recently started showing both power specs after we called them out on the first generation of Atmos receivers.

I just sent this to my marketing contact at Onkyo/Pioneer:

I'm a fan of Onkyo/Pioneer products and the latest D3 amps used in both are very impressive.

But, can you please talk to the marketing folks that are deciding to inflate power ratings on all the latest Atmos receivers so I can stop writing about it as a focus point in new product releases?

IE. https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/vsx-lx103 and https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/tx-sr383-receiver

The way you guys are rating power inspired me to write the following article:

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/ftc-consumer-audio

Truth is a marketable commodity today especially in the light of fake news and "alternative facts". If you guys rated your amp power more like NAD, we'd be singing your praises and you'd win over a lot of our readership as a result. Food for thought.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
They only recently started showing both power specs after we called them out on the first generation of Atmos receivers.

I just sent this to my marketing contact at Onkyo/Pioneer:
GENE..
Many thanks for the update..
Unfortunately bogus misleading power output specs by many brands have been around for several years. For example, in a Denon AVR3300 brochure in 2009, the following specs were published:
A. Front L/R, C, Surround L/R: 105W/CH, 8 Ohms, 20-20kHz, 0.05%THD
B. Front L/R, C, Surround L/R: 140W/CH, 6 Ohms, 1kHz, 0.7%THD
C. Front L/R, C, Surround L/R: 170W/CH
D. Front L/R, C, Surround L/R: 240Wx2-8 Ohms, 210Wx2-4 Ohms, 140Wx2-2 Ohms

Note Spec A & B is the honest FTC, Spec C is EIAJ and Spec D is Dynamic Power. Note there is no indication of THD% or bandwidth for C & D.

As posted previously it is greatly appreciated having U post and call out the brands for this. However these BS bogus, misleading disclosures have existed for many years once the FTC stepped back, and they will continue with the global websites and brochures... Thats why its great to have a site like Audioholics to clear the air...:):)

Just my $0.02... ;)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Pioneer has been doing this for decades, not just a couple of years. From my AX10i manual circa 2003-04

Amplifier Section
Continuous Power Output (Stereo Mode)
Front ......... 170 W + 170 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1 %, 6 Ω)
Continuous Power Output (Surround Mode)
Front ......... 170 W + 170 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1 %, 6 Ω)
Center ..................... 170 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1 %, 6 Ω)
Surround ..... 170 W + 170 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1 %, 6 Ω)
Surr. back .... 170 W + 170 W (DIN 1 kHz, THD 1 %, 6 Ω)
Rated Power Output ...................................150 W + 150 W
(20 Hz-20 kHz, THD 0.09 %, 6 Ω)
• Above specifications are applicable when the power
supply is 230V.

M

Mark S

Audiophyte
I agree 100% that this needs to change! The specs are only confusing consumers. We shouldn't only be calling out Onkyo & Pioneer, what about Denon?

Denon S series and X series are doing the same thing; example (AVR-S740H)
HIGH-PERFORMANCE 7 CHANNEL DISCRETE AMPLIFIER WITH ECO MODE
Featuring discrete high-current power amplifiers on all channels, the AVR-S740H delivers maximum performance and 165 watts of power per channel (6 Ohm, 1kHz, 1ch driven, THD 10%). With low impedance driver capability, it offers operational stability with a wide range of speakers for balanced, quality sound. Plus, auto Eco Mode adjusts power output to speakers based on volume level and on-screen eco meter, providing power consumption reduction in real-time.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs740h

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
GENE..
Many thanks for the update..
Unfortunately bogus misleading power output specs by many brands have been around for several years. For example, in a Denon AVR3300 brochure in 2009, the following specs were published:
A. Front L/R, C, Surround L/R: 105W/CH, 8 Ohms, 20-20kHz, 0.05%THD
B. Front L/R, C, Surround L/R: 140W/CH, 6 Ohms, 1kHz, 0.7%THD
C. Front L/R, C, Surround L/R: 170W/CH
D. Front L/R, C, Surround L/R: 240Wx2-8 Ohms, 210Wx2-4 Ohms, 140Wx2-2 Ohms

Note Spec A & B is the honest FTC, Spec C is EIAJ and Spec D is Dynamic Power. Note there is no indication of THD% or bandwidth for C & D.

As posted previously it is greatly appreciated having U post and call out the brands for this. However these BS bogus, misleading disclosures have existed for many years once the FTC stepped back, and they will continue with the global websites and brochures... Thats why its great to have a site like Audioholics to clear the air...:):)

Just my $0.02... ;)
Thanks for sharing that. I got an email from ONkyo/Pioneer that they are going to be listing 2CH FTC power as their primary power spec on their website and brochures from now on as a result of my articles on this topic.

In fact, we just received a press release of a new Pioneer AV receiver that does just that! This is progress.

I'll keep calling them out, brand agnostic, anytime I see this nonsense. Let's hope in the long run companies start embracing truth as a marketable commodity in an era of fake news and alternative facts.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I agree 100% that this needs to change! The specs are only confusing consumers. We shouldn't only be calling out Onkyo & Pioneer, what about Denon?

Denon S series and X series are doing the same thing; example (AVR-S740H)
HIGH-PERFORMANCE 7 CHANNEL DISCRETE AMPLIFIER WITH ECO MODE
Featuring discrete high-current power amplifiers on all channels, the AVR-S740H delivers maximum performance and 165 watts of power per channel (6 Ohm, 1kHz, 1ch driven, THD 10%). With low impedance driver capability, it offers operational stability with a wide range of speakers for balanced, quality sound. Plus, auto Eco Mode adjusts power output to speakers based on volume level and on-screen eco meter, providing power consumption reduction in real-time.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs740h
I've already called out Denon and others on page 2 of this article:
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/ftc-consumer-audio

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis