Pioneer DVD + Logitech Z-5500 for DVD-A and SA-CD?

K

kiwy

Audiophyte
Hi I'm a newbie but I hope you can advise me on some things. To replace my broken entry-level Samsung HTDS 400 Home Theatre (with DVD-A compatibility) I was thinking of maybe getting the following

Pioneer DV-575A-S DVD-Audio/Video/SACD Player

Key features DV-575A-S

DVD-Audio/SACD playback
DivX playback
5.1 channel audio output
PAL Progressive Scan
Full Speaker (Bass) Management & delay adjustment
108 Mhz/12-bit Video D/A Converter
DVD-R/DVD-RW compatible

Logitech Z-5500 Digital DD, DTS i DTS 96/24 500Watt THX certified

I was wondering (I read the Logitech review here) what do you think , how good is the DVD-Audio and SA-CD reproduction on these speakers for this price range. I have to say that I have a limited budget but the bigger problem is that I'm from Serbia and Montenegro so I have a limited choice of speakers to choose from. So do you think that these speakers are good enough for DVD-A and SA-CD quality?

I try to be realistic and I'm not lloking for the "ultimate" sound experince of high-end systems but a solid reproduction of hi-res music.

Or you can recommend me some other options...thanks in forward

Ivan

kay

kay

Audioholic
Hello Ivan,

Pairing the Pioneer 575 with those Logitech speakers is like having a Mercedes with a Yugo engine ;) Sure it will be ok, but it could SOOO much better.

The speakers will not be up to the task of quality music playback. Maybe movies, but just maybe. First, those Logitech's are designed for near-field operation - you have to be a meter away from them to work more or less ok; I have a small 2.1 Logitech system in my study and it's really crappy. It works for games & background music while you're working on the computer but is not Hi-Fi.

Unless you absolutely need DVD-Audio or SACD (there are very limited releases in those formats as of yet), I would suggest you go for a cheaper DVD player such as the Pioneer DV-366. The DV-575 has a built-in Dolby decoder as well - you won't need it if you have a receiver. Also, if video quality is not very important to you, but music quality is - you can get a even cheaper DVD player. If you use a digital connection to your receiver it makes very little difference what player you use because the actual signal processing happens inside your receiver.

Have a look at the Yamaha RX-V350 and RX-V450 models - you need a decent receiver, it's a must. Self-powered PC speakers will not work if you have any expectations of good sounding music. I am told that the entry-level Pioneer amps (D514/D714/D814) are not as good as the competing Yamaha products. Don't go for high power, most of those amps don't push more than 70-80 watts per channel anyway, regardless of what it says on the box.

Then have a look at the Wharfedale Diamond 8 series. Buy a 8.Centre and two 8.1 now. The front three speakers are the most important. Save for a couple of months and then buy the 8.4 towers - you can put them at the front and move the 8.1's to the rear. You won't have a subwoofer but I promise you those Wharfedales will pump out more clean bass than the subwoofer from the Logitech system.

Try look for some second hand stuff - like www.ebay.de, online vendors. Maybe ask someone who travels to UK/Germany to buy you something and bring it back. Might be cheaper this way.

Good luck!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
budget

give us more information.
budget, room size, uses, etc.
that would work, I think.
if the budget it tight, the system the other guy suggest won't be concevable(typo?).
I don't know what logitech speakers that previous poster has, but the Z series ones sound quite good for what they cost, and can easily me mistaken for higher end speakers.
If this is for strickly music, and dvd-a and sacd, I would recommend saving more, and getting a better music system. but if its for everything, it might work out for a great price.

Im just not sure if the 5500's can connect up for dvd-a and sacd, someone help me out here.

sheep

K

kiwy

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply and for the nice humor (Yugo rulez :) ). OK since I've been talked out of this option I'd like to ask you all

1) I have a couple of Wharfedale Laser 130 Speakers from my dad's old Hi-Fi, the specs are:

Normal Impedance 8 OHMS
Power Handling 85 Watts
Frequency Range 40Hz-25kHz
Drive units:
Bass 200mm cone
Mid range 50mm cone
Treble 19mm cone

He wasn't terribly satisfied with them but could I use them as frontal speakers and get the Diamond 8 central speaker?

2) And now I've got an offer for an almost new system (not a DVD-A, SA-CD system) for 550€, tell me what you think of it:

a) Philips dvp 630 player

b) Pionner S-V230A-QL Speakers
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=3797&taxonomy_id=62-99

c) Pionner S-W110S-QL Subwoofer
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=1589&taxonomy_id=62-99

d) Pioneer VSX-C301-S receiver

Style and sound go hand-in-hand with this slim A/V receiver designed to match the DV-464 DVD-Video player. Not only is it powerful with 75 W x 5 RMS output, it includes processing support for Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic II. For the movie buffs, there is the Dialogue Enhancement feature for enhanced centre channel listening. Convenient design is part of the package thanks to new features like the easy Room Set-up and Automatic Speaker Configuration. Just select your room size and preferred listening position (Forward, Middle, Back); the receiver automatically detects the type and number of speakers; the sound output is then adjusted accordingly. Finally, with 4 Euro-SCART terminals for pure RGB video quality, you can easily integrate all your home entertainment devices, including your DVD-Video player, VCR or even a games console. Your living environment is about to come alive.

The room is 6x3 meters so like 18 square meters. Not really big. It's be used for a home entertainment system with good audio capabilities (hopefully :) )

Last edited:
kay

kay

Audioholic
On balance, the Pioneer system is not bad - though I've not heard any of those components.

If you can borrow those Wharfedale's and get a better receiver and a DVD player first, that would be a start. You could gradually build something much better than the Pioneer. Depends on what you want to achieve and how much you want to spend.

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
the logitech does not accept sacd/dvd-a analog connections. you would need a reciever that accepts multichannel inputs + the 5.1 speakers.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Mega2000 said:
the logitech does not accept sacd/dvd-a analog connections. you would need a reciever that accepts multichannel inputs + the 5.1 speakers.
Mega,

What the heck is that free Xbox 360? Looks like a major virus/spam issue. Did you try it? Yikes!

Hey, don't knock Logitech. I have an (inferior) Labtec 2.1 system hooked up to my computer, LCD, and gigs and gigs of songs. It fills my 10x16 bedroom quite nicely. Great when giving the rugrats a bath. Those little subs are amazing when placed in a corner. My speakers look like little electrostats. :) They call them flat panel. I'm not sure how the hell sound comes from them, but they sound better than a lot of HTIB systems from Worst Buy.

IMO SACD and DVD-A is over rated. There are not that many discs in those formats out, unless you like the Eagles. LOL. They're cool, but I can only take so much of the Eagles. The new thing is DVD-DTS 5.1 audio. There are more and more DVD's with DTS audio and you can play them right on your DVD player with outstanding sound. DTS has some of the lowest compression specs in regards to digital music, leaving the sound ultra dynamic.

That's a cool Wharfedale, but does it come with a box, or is it an in-wall speaker? Can't tell from the photo.

Last edited:
M

Mega2000

Audioholic
hey buck...

the free xbox thing is legit. i have 3 friends who did the same thing but for ipods and got free ipods. and not refurbished or used one. Brand spankin new ipods. All ya have to do is sign up for one of the offer (usually a credit card or netflix) and get 5-8 other people to sign up for those special offers and BAM!!! they send you an ipod, or in this case a new XBOX 360 (when they come out)

and as far as logitech, i love them. before i got a receiver or even speakers I have the z680's (the old verson of the 5500's) and use them as my surround systems. I actually have the system in my room now and use it for movies in my room. Just connect the digital connection to the logitech head unit (which has a DTS and Dolby digital decoder) and BAM!!! 5.1 surround.

the 5500 or the 680z are the perfect college setup. you can get the 680's for under $200 now on ebay, it is an awesome deal

B

bumblebee

Enthusiast
Mega2000 said:
the logitech accepts 6-channel input.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
channel input, for computer use.

the logitech does take the 6 channel input but its only 3 plugs.
they are as follows

front R/L, Rear R/L, sub/center

so in order for it to work, you would need 3 cords of 2 analogue females into 1 3mm male, and then hook the wires up accordingly, and you not even sure if it will work.

i wouldn't get the 5500's if you really want dvd-a and SACD.

sheep

B

bumblebee

Enthusiast
Sheep said:
the logitech does take the 6 channel input but its only 3 plugs.
they are as follows

front R/L, Rear R/L, sub/center

so in order for it to work, you would need 3 cords of 2 analogue females into 1 3mm male, and then hook the wires up accordingly, and you not even sure if it will work.

i wouldn't get the 5500's if you really want dvd-a and SACD.

sheep
it'll work. the player will do the decoding, of course.

K

kiwy

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
That's a cool Wharfedale, but does it come with a box, or is it an in-wall speaker? Can't tell from the photo.
Yup it comes wit a box, I have a pair of them. I just took off the front cover so you can see the cones better. Do you think that they could be used to build up my system in time? So I should keep them as front-left and front-right even thought they're a tad bit older?

Has anyone got more info on these speakers, I can't really find any on the internet?

Last edited:
kay

kay

Audioholic
I would definitely start out with those. Get a receiver and perhaps a center channel, then build up slowly from there whenever you have extra cash to spend. Make sure you get lots of power to begin with though, otherwise you'll have to upgrade the receiver too soon.

Don't know anything about those speakers, sorry.

K

kiwy

Audiophyte
Thanks for the info. And on a small offtopic, here are some receivers that are on sale and are in my price range, please if you can recommend me one of them:

Receiver ONKYO TX-SR 500B
Receiver KENWOOD KRFV5580DS
Receiver KENWOOD VRS5100
Receiver YAMAHA RX-496RDS
Receiver YAMAHA RX-V450RDS
Receiver JAMO AVR-693S

Just to mention, I will probably want to pair it to the DVD player mentioned in
my first post (Pioneer DV-575A-S).

Thanks so much for all the input and making me feel welcome ;)

kay

kay

Audioholic
For what it's worth, somebody I know is using a RX-V450 with a set of Wharfedale Diamond speakers and is very, very happy. The Pioneer player will fit in perfectly.

K

kiwy

Audiophyte
Thanks for confirming my favourites also. I like the Yamaha's specs and I'll look into the Diamong 8 Center speaker. So all that remains is to gather the money and start building my system :)

Thanks kay for all the insight.

K

kiwy

Audiophyte
Buckeyefan 1 said:
IMO SACD and DVD-A is over rated. There are not that many discs in those formats out, unless you like the Eagles. LOL. They're cool, but I can only take so much of the Eagles.
p.s. I have from DVD-Audio:

1) Led Zeppelin - How the west was won double disc edition; and
2) Snow Patrol - Final Straw [DUALDISC]

and I love them both :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis