Pioneer/Andrew Jones Elite SW-E10 Powered Subwoofer Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Buckle up, bass fans!!!

Two years ago, we were absolutely amazed by Pioneer's SP-PK52FS 5.1 Floorstanding Speaker System. Designed by world-renowned speaker engineer Andrew Jones, this speaker system demonstrated what a true engineer/designer could do when partnered with the right company. This system was receiving amazing reviews from the audio community (me included). It even got the attention of our President, Gene DellaSala, who decided to personally test review this system. It was an awesome review by the way!!!!!

What? You didn't read it?
Click on the following link!
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

After witnessing what they were capable of with such an affordable design, I thought it would take a long time before seeing them doing it again. Oh, yes....they have done it again!

Pioneer and Andrew Jones are now introducing their new Atmos Enabled Elite Concentric Speaker System consisting of two towers, two surrounds, one center and a subwoofer. We already have a preview on this nice speaker system that you can read here:
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-elite-speakers

Since we already have a full system preview, I'm getting ready to post a separated thread dedicated to each speaker alone and I'd like to dedicate this thread to their new SW-E10 Subwoofer. This way we can share our impressions and talk about the characteristics, features and specifications of each one separately and also benefit many audio enthusiasts looking for a specific speaker rather than a full system.

The Elite SW-E10 Subwoofer features a 10-inch long-throw woofer. Its 2-inch voice coil is designed for greater power handling, with a motor and suspension that allows one inch of peak-to-peak linear movement of the cone for maximum output capability. It has a down-firing driver housed in a solid, sealed enclosure to improve transient response. The company says that the key to its powerful sound is a dedicated, built-in BASH® high-voltage amplifier delivering 300 Watts RMS, with 600 Watts peak. A Digital Signal Processor ensures maximum linearity and output capability.

Our question is:
Will these new Elite speakers change the way we listen to budget speakers AGAIN?.... Time will tell the whole story.

In the meantime, don't forget to check out the following features and click on the attached pictures for technical specifications. Also don't forget to share this with your friends and comment on our Elite products threads.

FEATURES:
  • 10-inch long-throw woofer.
  • Sealed enclosure with DSP processing.
  • 2” Voice Coil for greater power handling.
  • Integrated BASH amplifier provides up to 600 watts peak power (300 Watts RMS).
Price: $599.99/each

You can check out the other related threads here:
- Pioneer SP-EBS73-LR Dolby Atmos Elite Concentric Bookshelf Speaker Overview
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/pioneer-sp-ebs73-lr-dolby-atmos-elite-concentric-bookshelf-speaker-overview.93647

- Pioneer SP-EFS73 Dolby Atmos Elite Floorstanding Speaker Overview
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/pioneer-sp-efs73-dolby-atmos-elite-floorstanding-speaker-overview.93646

- Pioneer SP-EC73 Dolby Atmos Elite Concentric Center Speaker Overview
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/pioneer-sp-ec73-dolby-atmos-elite-concentric-center-speaker-overview.93648

- I will be adding the links to the other components as I post them.
PicsArt_1424136790300.jpg
base_underside.jpg PicsArt_1424136520759.jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me get it straight here : a 10" sealed sub with 300w rms amp for $600?
Nice, but.... I'm personally not excited about it. 30hz f3, Or 30hz f6?
Or 30hz only with room modes.
Now, sealed 15" sub with 500w amp for about same money - that is exciting (reaction audio s15)

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Let me get it straight here : a 10" sealed sub with 300w rms amp for $600?
Nice, but.... I'm personally not excited about it. 30hz f3, Or 30hz f6?
Or 30hz only with room modes.
Now, sealed 15" sub with 500w amp for about same money - that is exciting (reaction audio s15)
I agree with you. $600 seems a bit high for a sub with those specs. Time will tell if it's worth it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Now, if same 10" sealed sub would be sold for $300 - now we'd have something to get excited here
but it's just my 2c

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Now, if same 10" sealed sub would be sold for $300 - now we'd have something to get excited here
but it's just my 2c
Yeah, I know what you mean. Lets wait and see if Gene gets one in for review.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Time won't tell if it is worth it, the specs already tell you that, and the answer is absolutely not. The Pioneer speakers do look good, but as with all major speaker manufacturers except maybe Paradigm and ML, the corrresponding sub is just an over-priced and under-performing accessory. This thing is not a serious subwoofer, it was made for WAF alone with performance a dead last consideration. Even $300 is much too much for it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Time won't tell if it is worth it, the specs already tell you that, and the answer is absolutely not. The Pioneer speakers do look good, but as with all major speaker manufacturers except maybe Paradigm and ML, the corrresponding sub is just an over-priced and under-performing accessory. This thing is not a serious subwoofer, it was made for WAF alone with performance a dead last consideration. Even $300 is much too much for it.
Agreed. $600 buys you a lot of sub these days from SVS, HSU and Rythmik for example.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
They need to add a top-firing driver on this sub to "really get that Atmos effect!!!" :D:confused::D

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Ya, but that's list. Street value is going to come in considerably less once they get things ramped up on the manufacturing side.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Ya, but that's list. Street value is going to come in considerably less once they get things ramped up on the manufacturing side.
Of course there's no need to wait for 'street price' to come down due to 'manufacturing ramp up' when it comes to ID subs of the same price point, which perform better.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Unless the price point drops low enough to where you could buy 2 for the price of 1 ID sub.

DJ

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Unless the price point drops low enough to where you could buy 2 for the price of 1 ID sub.

DJ
Not me. I'd still get the one ID sub. The build quality needed to make a sub right makes it too heavy to be practical for retail, so they cut massive corners in this area.

I actually came from two retails, and went to one ID, and couldn't be happier.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Well, you need only check my sig to know where my heart lies ;).

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Have to agree with everyone that ID would be a better way to go.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis