Pioneer 45A Multichannel setup ?

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I am trying to setup the multi channel portion of the Pioneer 45a and have a couple of questions.  Should the speakers be set to large or small (Paradigm Monitor 7, cc370, atoms &amp; pdr12), on the options for cd playback, should this be PCM or DTS &amp; for DVD playback should I choose DVD audio or video?  My receiver is the Pioneer 45tx.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I would set all speakers to small.

The choice of PCM or DTS you are referring to I assume is on the dvd options. The choices should be Bitstream or PCM. Your receiver looks as if it can decode DTS so set this to Bitstream.

If you are watching a movie DVD it should be set to video.

If you are playing a SACD or DVD-Audio, then set this to audio. Be sure to connect your multi-channel outputs on DVD to multi-channel-inputs on the receiver &amp; set the input mode on the receiver to multi-channel-input.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>No matter how you set up the Pioneer, once you pop in a DVD-A or SACD, it will operate as though all speakers are set to &quot;LARGE.&quot; &nbsp;It doens't do bass management at all. &nbsp;It will do B/M for DD &amp; DTS, but in all likelihood you'll use a Digital Cable to connect it to your receiver and use the B/M in your receiver.

I had the Pioneer player and I did find a workaround to this: &nbsp;I bought a Denon!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The choice of PCM or DTS you are referring to I assume is on the dvd options. The choices should be Bitstream or PCM. Your receiver looks as if it can decode DTS so set this to Bitstream.</td></tr></table>

No these are under the &quot;initial settings&quot;.  Under SACD playback, it gives to choices: 2 channel or 5.1.  It also lists these same 2 choices under Audio Output.  Which should I select &amp; what do they mean?
What I want to accomplish is to be able to watch a dvd movie &amp; then pop in a sacd or dvd audio &amp; enjoy the greatest sound available.  Just trying to figure out how to accomplish it.</font>

JVC

JVC

Banned
<font color='#000000'>In the Initial Settings menu, under SACD playback, I'm set to multi channel (5.1). Also, under the DVD playback mode, I have it set to: DVD-Audio.
Now, after watching a movie, I can put in a dvd-a or sacd and push the dvd-multi button, and I'm listening to Hi Res music. Some sacds are just 2 ch., and that's why the choice. I only listen to the multi channel sacds.
Since you listen to movies through the digital output, and sacds through the analog outputs, you need to push the dvd-multi or multi channel button (whichever term your receiver uses), when switching to dvd-a or sacd playback.
Good luck!</font>

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>So this process is as simple as I had hoped.  Someway, I seem to complicate matters.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the Initial Settings menu, under SACD playback, I'm set to multi channel (5.1). Also, under the DVD playback mode, I have it set to: DVD-Audio.</td></tr></table>

What about &quot;Audio Output&quot;? &nbsp;Did you select 2 channel or 5.1? &nbsp;Does it matter? &nbsp;I noticed when selecting 5.1 in this, the &quot;5.1&quot; display is lit on the dvd players display? &nbsp;Is this normal, I would have thought that it would light up only when the 5.1 tracks are playing.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis