Pinnacle Black Diamond BD 1000 Tower Loudspeaker System Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Pinnacle has done a decent job with the execution of their BD 1000 3-way, 4 driver slimline tower speaker system both aesthetically and performance-wise. They understand the tradeoffs in providing a small form factor tower speaker system and know their audience of buyers for such a product. A few tweaks to the crossover, and usage of a smaller non horn-loaded tweeter could have potentially improved product performance but I suspect many folks will appreciate the overall sound of this product as is. If you're looking for an unobtrusive, relatively affordable compact tower speaker system that gives you plenty of boom and sizzle with excellent midrange clarity, then this is your speaker.

Discuss "Pinnacle Black Diamond BD 1000 Tower Loudspeaker System Review" here. Read the article.

Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
M

ms142ms142

Audiophyte
Suggestion for crossover mod

Thanks Gene and Audioholics for your detailed review. I happen to have a pair of BD1000 and was trying to mod the crossover before reading your review because the balance is tilted too much to the tweeter. As a musician, I've found that the violin and the piano sound somewhat distorted at higher frequencies, and your measurement confirms what I hear.

Since I don't have the schematics, I wonder if you could suggest some new values for the resistors padding the tweeter that can tone down the output without changing the crossover point? Is it simply a first-order high pass filter and an L-pad? I noticed there are three resistors on the board with values 1.8, 3 and 3.9 ohms. Thanks very much!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis