Picture frames effects on sound

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
I have a few bare walls in my room. I'm going to hang pictures there, but curious to the effects on sound. The picture frames I have are a combination of plastic type stuff. One feels a bit like glass but probably thicker plastic. What would be better, bare walls or plastic picture frames?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have a few bare walls in my room. I'm going to hang pictures there, but curious to the effects on sound. The picture frames I have are a combination of plastic type stuff. One feels a bit like glass but probably thicker plastic. What would be better, bare walls or plastic picture frames?
Acoustically speaking, the difference will be nearly nothing. They will reflect pretty much everything.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Generally, I would expect the frames to have a positive effect. They will diffuse/disperse the reflections by scattering them (I am assuming a curved or contoured surface, not just a simple flat - parallel to the wall- surface). However, frames don't cover much surface area. I would be concerned if you had glass inside the frame that is extremely reflective. Of course sheetrock is almost as bad.
Ideally something like tapestries would be beneficial.

... And then there's always the felt artwork - think Elvis or dogs playing poker;):)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Audioholics Youtube Channel recently did a livestream discussion video on acoustic treatments:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Though I like where KEW's head is at... I gotta side with Shady. Even a European Museum with 20 ornate frames per wall... you won't get enough diffraction or absorption to really affect anything in a meaningful way. Especially if there is glass or plexi covering a print. Maybe if you had 2" insulation behind oil-on-canvas paintings. :)
But seriously... Look at Skyline and Fractal Diffusers if you want to see something that may make a difference on your back wall, and GIK for Absorption panels and/or Absorption-Diffusion panels for front and sides.
Of course... Carpet, boookshelvels, knick-knacks galore, furniture, heavy drapes over windows... These are the laypersons go-to techniques. :p

Nice link, Shady!!! Thanks. I've got a truckload of 40 minute videos cued up! :eek:

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
My question wasn't if they would make good acoustic treatment. I know they wont. Was more about if it would be worse than a bare wall.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
depending on your room(dimensions) and where you hang the pictures. Avoid first point of reflection area, 2" acoustic absorption is best there.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My question wasn't if they would make good acoustic treatment. I know they wont. Was more about if it would be worse than a bare wall.
If you can tell a difference, you’d probably be the only one on earth!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No -- not worse .... the biggest problem in rooms for me is echoing

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
... And then there's always the felt artwork - think Elvis or dogs playing poker;):)
I'm partial to the barbarian women in the metal bikinis, and Mexican Federales felt paintings myself!

Classy!

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Any concerns about them vibrating/buzzing once hung up on the wall? Not sure how much of a basshead you might be but if anything that seems a possible outcome.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
some felt or foam pads on bacl will deal with that. Blue museum putty is a little more extreme, but would do the same.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
Ok... So decided to do some acoustic treatment as well. I was looking at GIK. They recommended or another company?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
Any concerns about them vibrating/buzzing once hung up on the wall? Not sure how much of a basshead you might be but if anything that seems a possible outcome.

That's why I often take the pictures down when I do serious listening.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Though I like where KEW's head is at... I gotta side with Shady.
You are not really contradicting me. I was typing when Shady was posting, and may have worded it differently had I read Shady's post first! However, since you interpreted my post the way you did, I bolded (to emphasize) the following sentence:
However, frames don't cover much surface area.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
I'm guessing you're single. :D
LOL. The final straw was actually the diffusers on the ceiling + acoustic panels for the first reflection points.

Better that she's gone anyway because I can buy whatever I like now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis