Phono stage failure

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
It has been two weeks since I last played vinyl. Upon setting the needle the sound emerging was muted also I noted unusual woofer speaker extrusion. My trouble shooting so far has been checking connections and swapping cartridges each in a different headshell. The problem remains. All other functions of the Yamaha RXV-3300 appear normal. I recently added a Kenwood M-2 power amplifier to the system. Hopefully it's something I am overlooking. The Yamaha has been rock steady and a phono stage failure seems unlikely.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
That's a tough one-phono stages are pretty simple in most receivers, so there is not much there to fail. Are you using a MM cartridge, and is it the same one that you were using previously when it worked? Most receivers will only work with MM carts-they don't have enough gain for MC carts (but you probably already knew that!). If you have a dBx decoder, you might want to make sure it is not engaged unless you are playing a dBx disk-I did that several times myself. You might want to look at the internal connections between the phono stage circuit and the RCA jacks-my old Yammie had some flakey circuit-card connectors (not on the phono stage) that were the main excuse for my subsequent purchase of my new Denon. It sounds like you already did a pretty methodical troubleshoot, so you might be having a 6 sigma experience (ie, low probability failure). Good luck.

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
Changed turntable

Changed tables, problem resolved. A phono stage failure did seem like a remote possibility. Troubleshooting. Can't beat it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis