Philharmonic Audio BMR Road Trip Makes Stop in Unusually Hot San Diego

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Regular Sierras, not NRT. I haven't heard the NRT Sierra Ones but my Sierra towers have the NRT.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, was curious. I upgraded my Sierra-1s to NrT (well 2 of the 3, I bought them used and the center had already been upgraded). Subtle difference I think. Thanks for the write up. Would love to hear the BMRs (and a variety of other offerings from both Dennis and Jim Salk :) ).

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, was curious. I upgraded my Sierra-1s to NrT (well 2 of the 3, I bought them used and the center had already been upgraded). Subtle difference I think. Thanks for the write up. Would love to hear the BMRs (and a variety of other offerings from both Dennis and Jim Salk :) ).
If you are near me in San Jose, CA you can come listen. BYOB!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you are near me in San Jose, CA you can come listen. BYOB!
Used to be when I lived up near four corners (the intersection of Hwy 35 & 84) but moved away several years ago. If I visit the bay area again I just might take you up on your offer! Thanks!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Would love to hear the BMRs (and a variety of other offerings from both Dennis and Jim Salk :) ).
I've got the 'variety of other offerings' (3 different speaker sets) going on. I think the idea is that 'they all sound the same' (excellent). :)

Salk has a list of people that will let you listen to their Salk products. If you got the time ...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here's a list of just some of the speakers the Ascend Sierra Ones beat out in my room, to give you a feel for how good they are and by extension how good the BMRs are:

Monitor Audio Silver S6,
Monitor Audio Silver RS6
Monitor Audio Silver RX6
Monitor Audio Silver RX1
Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Energy RC-10
Energy RC-30
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand
Boston Acoustics HD8
Boston Acoustics CR6
Boston Acoustics CR8
Boston Acoustics RS260
Boston Acoustics VS260 (this one was probably the closest to competing with the Ascends).

There are probably others that I'm forgetting right now, but those are some I've had in my room.
That's quite a long list of speakers :). You either have an expensive hobby, or you suffer from a chronic case of Audio Nirvana Nervosa. Or both :rolleyes:.

The best cure for that condition is two (or more) speakers designed by Dennis Murphy (built by Dennis himself via Philharmonic Audio or by Salk). Once I had them, I no longer wondered what other speakers would sound like in my home. Instead, whenever I heard recorded music away from home, I started wondering what that music would sound like over my speakers. It's much less expensive and more satisfying than going through many different speakers.

You may have noticed above how others who own Dennis Murphy-designed speakers gladly invite others to come listen to theirs. Once you've been cured of Audio Nirvana Nervosa, you feel compelled to share it with other sufferers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've got the 'variety of other offerings' (3 different speaker sets) going on. I think the idea is that 'they all sound the same' (excellent). :)

Salk has a list of people that will let you listen to their Salk products. If you got the time ...
If I get in traveling mode maybe....doubt anyone near me. I do have a pair of the boards from Dennis for the AA (built my own BR-1s) tho :) I wouldn't hesitate to buy unheard, tho.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Here's a list of just some of the speakers the Ascend Sierra Ones beat out in my room, to give you a feel for how good they are and by extension how good the BMRs are:

Monitor Audio Silver S6,
Monitor Audio Silver RS6
Monitor Audio Silver RX6
Monitor Audio Silver RX1
Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Energy RC-10
Energy RC-30
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand
Boston Acoustics HD8
Boston Acoustics CR6
Boston Acoustics CR8
Boston Acoustics RS260
Boston Acoustics VS260 (this one was probably the closest to competing with the Ascends).

There are probably others that I'm forgetting right now, but those are some I've had in my room.
Wow, I'm surprised to see all the Monitor speakers.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
That's quite a long list of speakers :). You either have an expensive hobby, or you suffer from a chronic case of Audio Nirvana Nervosa. Or both :rolleyes:.

The best cure for that condition is two (or more) speakers designed by Dennis Murphy (built by Dennis himself via Philharmonic Audio or by Salk). Once I had them, I no longer wondered what other speakers would sound like in my home. Instead, whenever I heard recorded music away from home, I started wondering what that music would sound like over my speakers. It's much less expensive and more satisfying than going through many different speakers.

You may have noticed above how others who own Dennis Murphy-designed speakers gladly invite others to come listen to theirs. Once you've been cured of Audio Nirvana Nervosa, you feel compelled to share it with other sufferers.
Actually, no, it hasn't been expensive to me at all. I buy the speakers used or on closeout sales, then resell them for around the same price. I haven't lost any money at all with all those speakers coming and going. In fact I think I'm up about $50 or $100 on all those listed! :)

It's not a disease, or an expensive hobby for me. It's fun and costs me nothing. It does, however, take a lot of time to bargain-hunt like I do.

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Wow, I'm surprised to see all the Monitor speakers.
Yeah, that really stands out in hindsight. For some reason, in the early 2010s there were a lot of Monitor Audio speakers listed on Craigslist in my area. They were popping up every few months. I'd always liked their looks, and they were all at good prices, so I couldn't resist trying them out. I generally had only two or three pairs at a time. All of them looked nice, some sounded so-so and some pretty good, but all had flaws that bothered me after a while. None beat the Ascends, and none would come close to the BMRs.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yeah, that really stands out in hindsight. For some reason, in the early 2010s there were a lot of Monitor Audio speakers listed on Craigslist in my area. They were popping up every few months. I'd always liked their looks, and they were all at good prices, so I couldn't resist trying them out. I generally had only two or three pairs at a time. All of them looked nice, some sounded so-so and some pretty good, but all had flaws that bothered me after a while. None beat the Ascends, and none would come close to the BMRs.
That's good to know, thanks. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing the Philharmonic BMR speakers myself, but I haven't actually heard them, so I'm understandably apprehensive to buy them through the Internet 'sight-unheard' if you will.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's good to know, thanks. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing the Philharmonic BMR speakers myself, but I haven't actually heard them, so I'm understandably apprehensive to buy them through the Internet 'sight-unheard' if you will.
Reasons that I'd buy Philharmonics or Salks are the number of people that have said very nice things about listening to them, owners that keep/accumulate them, speakers they've replaced, etc. I don't think I've read a negative review now that I think about it. Not to mention that both Dennis and Jim take care of their customers very well.

BluesDaddy

BluesDaddy

Audioholic Intern
Great review. I'll just mention I bought a pair of BMRs "sight unheard" after living with Magnepan MMGs the last six years or so. I was thinking of upgrading for the MMG to the .7s but had been watching more and more movies and started seriously considering more conventional speakers. I love the Maggie sound, but even the small ones dominate a room. After reading a LOT about different speakers out there, especially ones that excel at music but would also serve well as LR for HT, I was leaning heavily to Ascend Sierra 2s (after toying with the idea of going with an Emotiva T2/C2 LCR combo).

Then I started reading about Philharmonic Audio and Dennis Murphy and remembered Dennis from my bygone days of frequenting DIY forums and the Murphy Blaster designs. The more I read, the more I thought his speakers would NOT lose me the musical quality I loved in the Maggies and would gain me added detail and imaging, with a bit more slam for rock and movies (I listen to a lot of 50s and on Jazz these days, but still am primarily a 'Classic Rock' kind of guy).

I thought first I'd buy three of the New Philharmonitors. But the more a read, especially the first reviews coming out of the "roadshow", as well as emails with Dennis, the more I realized I'd be better served jumping all in on the BMRs to stave off future "upgradeitis". I've had them just a little over a week and couldn't be happier. I got them with a newer, PE, piano black curved cabinet that's shorter and wider than the ones out on the roadshow (Dennis slightly altered the crossover for these) which I actually like better for LR monitors. Since my ear level is right at 36" from the floor and the MLP, I checked with Dennis regarding the distance of the center of the RAAL from the bottom of the cabinet and got a pair of 22" Sanus steel stands, which are very heavy duty and I have no fear of knocking over.

The speakers are heavy, 32 lbs each as I recall. My plan is to get another BMR in a new cabinet Dennis is sourcing overseas that will be rectangular and not curved and conform to the earlier sizes (longer and more narrow) with the RAAL rotated so I can use it horizontally. Anyway, didn't mean to post anything quite so long, just wanted to chime in on what great speakers these are.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Great review. I'll just mention I bought a pair of BMRs "sight unheard" after living with Magnepan MMGs the last six years or so. I was thinking of upgrading for the MMG to the .7s but had been watching more and more movies and started seriously considering more conventional speakers. I love the Maggie sound, but even the small ones dominate a room. After reading a LOT about different speakers out there, especially ones that excel at music but would also serve well as LR for HT, I was leaning heavily to Ascend Sierra 2s (after toying with the idea of going with an Emotiva T2/C2 LCR combo).

Then I started reading about Philharmonic Audio and Dennis Murphy and remembered Dennis from my bygone days of frequenting DIY forums and the Murphy Blaster designs. The more I read, the more I thought his speakers would NOT lose me the musical quality I loved in the Maggies and would gain me added detail and imaging, with a bit more slam for rock and movies (I listen to a lot of 50s and on Jazz these days, but still am primarily a 'Classic Rock' kind of guy).

I thought first I'd buy three of the New Philharmonitors. But the more a read, especially the first reviews coming out of the "roadshow", as well as emails with Dennis, the more I realized I'd be better served jumping all in on the BMRs to stave off future "upgradeitis". I've had them just a little over a week and couldn't be happier. I got them with a newer, PE, piano black curved cabinet that's shorter and wider than the ones out on the roadshow (Dennis slightly altered the crossover for these) which I actually like better for LR monitors. Since my ear level is right at 36" from the floor and the MLP, I checked with Dennis regarding the distance of the center of the RAAL from the bottom of the cabinet and got a pair of 22" Sanus steel stands, which are very heavy duty and I have no fear of knocking over.

The speakers are heavy, 32 lbs each as I recall. My plan is to get another BMR in a new cabinet Dennis is sourcing overseas that will be rectangular and not curved and conform to the earlier sizes (longer and more narrow) with the RAAL rotated so I can use it horizontally. Anyway, didn't mean to post anything quite so long, just wanted to chime in on what great speakers these are.
You are not considering the MTM for a center? I’m just wondering if you ruled it out for some reason or just prefer all to match.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Has anyone compared the BMR vs. the Cambridge Aeromax line?

Similar mid-range driver.

I heard the Aeromax at RMAF a couple years ago, and I was quite impressed with what I heard of it!

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
SImilar midrange driver, yes, but the Cambridge speakers use that driver all the way through the midrange and treble.

I remember Dennis mentioned on one forum that while that driver measures really well in the midrange, its performance is just so-so in the highs. The RAAL does much, much better there.

I can't imagine the woofer in the Cambridge speakers can keep up with the Scanspeak woofer Dennis uses, either.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Has anyone compared the BMR vs. the Cambridge Aeromax line?

Similar mid-range driver.

I heard the Aeromax at RMAF a couple years ago, and I was quite impressed with what I heard of it!
Yes, I've heard both a number of years ago. The Cambridge Audio Aero 2 (an earlier version of the Aeromax 2) I heard was a good class or two below the BMR in sound quality. It was a 2-way speaker with the same (or similar) 2½" Balanced Mode Radiator driver, used as a tweeter, that Dennis uses as a mid range. It's a great mid range driver, but not a good tweeter.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Great review. I'll just mention I bought a pair of BMRs "sight unheard" after living with Magnepan MMGs the last six years or so.
Congrats on the new speakers :)! Thanks for your comments about them.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

And that is a complement to the BMRs because the Magnepan MMGs are really great entry level ribbon speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis