Philharmonic Audio BMR Philharmonitor Bookshelf Speaker Review

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
A question, not sure if this has been addressed or not, the BMR's rectangular vs the curved cabinets. Any sonic differences ?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
A question, not sure if this has been addressed or not, the BMR's rectangular vs the curved cabinets. Any sonic differences?
As far as I understand things, the rectangular & curved cabinet versions of the BMR Monitor were built for only for visual appeal and cost. They don't sound noticeably different. If Dennis Murphy is reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

This probably has been discussed at the very long Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy thread on AVS. But you may have already looked there.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree there should likely be very little if any difference in the two.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The only difference would be due to cabinet resonance or the way sound waves bounce around inside rectangular vs curved cabinets. For something the size of a BMR I would imagine the difference to be negligible.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
The only difference would be due to cabinet resonance or the way sound waves bounce around inside rectangular vs curved cabinets. For something the size of a BMR I would imagine the difference to be negligible.
In theory, the curved sound better. In practice, I can't measure or hear any difference.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
In theory, the curved sound better. In practice, I can't measure or hear any difference.
I think that has a lot to do with the cabinet design and speaker choice. Since the BMR driver is in its own enclosure, only the woofer benefits from the curved back, so just under 600Hz if I'm not mistaken.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just a note for anyone looking. The speakers are in Michigan and are discounted nicely. Song 3 Encore w/ the AT midrange and reworked woofer location in upgraded veneer.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just a note for anyone looking. The speakers are in Michigan and are discounted nicely. Song 3 Encore w/ the AT midrange and reworked woofer location in upgraded veneer.
If I had $5000 for every time I wish I had an extra $5000 lying around...
:rolleyes:
:p

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If I had $5000 for every time I wish I had an extra $5000 lying around...
:rolleyes:
:p
Just posted a pair of JBL LS80s from USAM for $900 in the classifieds under a KEF driver I noted weeks ago, fyi. They look to be in great condition.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I just saw on Dennis' page that Salk is making a tower version of the BMR Monitor. I don't see it on Salk's web site but there's a photo on the Philharmonic web site. Looks very nice, as usual.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just saw on Dennis' page that Salk is making a tower version of the BMR Monitor. I don't see it on Salk's web site but there's a photo on the Philharmonic web site. Looks very nice, as usual.
Jim has done that before. It's a special build, but still a .75cu.ft Speaker. I don't know if they sold, but the pair on Dennis' website was an "available now" kind of thing, IIRC.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My significant other has given me permission to do a two-channel room. Since our basement is near finished, I can move my peloton bike and treadmill downstairs with the rest of the workout room. This leaves me with about a 14x16 of space. I was debating between these and the Kef R3. Was reading a lot on ASR where there has been extensive comparisons done. I can find the R3 on the reseller market for less. For the 2K and under option these seem like two really solid options. If I go with the BMRs I would have to get them curved, I just like the look. I assume that it would not affect the performance if I went that route?

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Jim has done that before. It's a special build, but still a .75cu.ft Speaker. I don't know if they sold, but the pair on Dennis' website was an "available now" kind of thing, IIRC.
Jim just told me those had sold. So I'll take them down form my page.
My significant other has given me permission to do a two-channel room. Since our basement is near finished, I can move my peloton bike and treadmill downstairs with the rest of the workout room. This leaves me with about a 14x16 of space. I was debating between these and the Kef R3. Was reading a lot on ASR where there has been extensive comparisons done. I can find the R3 on the reseller market for less. For the 2K and under option these seem like two really solid options. If I go with the BMRs I would have to get them curved, I just like the look. I assume that it would not affect the performance if I went that route?
There is no difference in performance between the rectangular BMR and the curved.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
BMR FTW. All day every day. ;)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Jim just told me those had sold. So I'll take them down form my page.

There is no difference in performance between the rectangular BMR and the curved. For the results of a recent face-off between the R3 and BMR (and 13 other speakers) see here: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://philharmonicaudio.com/images/azavclubvotes.pdf
Not sure how to use that link?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't have the R3 but I have compared my R900 with the BMR and prefer the BMR+sub and the R900 if no sub is allowed. It can boil down to the individual's preference but the BMR likely measure better in the 200 to 20,000 Hz range.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis