Philharmonic Audio AA monitor price drop

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Philharmonic Audio has dropped the price for its Affordable Accuracy monitors! They now sell for $200 per pair. Shipping cost has also dropped to no more than $30, depending on a buyer's location. So the maximum price (shipping to the west coast) drops to $230 per pair. The old price was $210 and shipping was no more than $50.

The lower price seems to be due to a switch to crossover boards fully assembled by Bennic in Taiwan. The crossover parts in the boards are identical to those previously used, but perhaps the large number (?) of assembled boards has led to the lower price.

I learned of this the other day as I was talking to a new neighbor who had recently bought a townhouse nearby. The subject of loudspeakers came up. Like many new homeowners, he now has space for a better audio or HT system, but he’s kind of short on cash. He wants an inexpensive system and wondered if I knew of anything. :);):)! He had already spent some time at large retail store, but he walked out before settling for anything, admitting that “talking to the salesman kind of made his skin crawl”. He also shopped online, but came away confused.

That’s when I mentioned Affordable Accuracy monitors, saying they are probably the best low priced speakers available. What price? I wasn’t sure, remembering something like $250 a pair. He checked right away on his phone. The price had dropped!

If you want an inexpensive pair of speaker, I think these are the ones to get. I can see using them for all the speakers in a low priced HT system, as rear channel speakers in any HT system, or as bookshelf speakers for modestly priced 2-channel stereo system.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Philharmonic Audio has dropped the price for its Affordable Accuracy monitors! They now sell for $200 per pair. Shipping cost has also dropped to no more than $30, depending on a buyer's location. So the maximum price (shipping to the west coast) drops to $230 per pair. The old price was $210 and shipping was no more than $50.

The lower price seems to be due to a switch to crossover boards fully assembled by Bennic in Taiwan. The crossover parts in the boards are identical to those previously used, but perhaps the large number (?) of assembled boards has led to the lower price.

I learned of this the other day as I was talking to a new neighbor who had recently bought a townhouse nearby. The subject of loudspeakers came up. Like many new homeowners, he now has space for a better audio or HT system, but he’s kind of short on cash. He wants an inexpensive system and wondered if I knew of anything. :);):)! He had already spent some time at large retail store, but he walked out before settling for anything, admitting that “talking to the salesman kind of made his skin crawl”. He also shopped online, but came away confused.

That’s when I mentioned Affordable Accuracy monitors, saying they are probably the best low priced speakers available. What price? I wasn’t sure, remembering something like $250 a pair. He checked right away on his phone. The price had dropped!

If you want an inexpensive pair of speaker, I think these are the ones to get. I can see using them for all the speakers in a low priced HT system, as rear channel speakers in any HT system, or as bookshelf speakers for modestly priced 2-channel stereo system.
What crossover for bass management at the AVR should these AAs be at? 80hz?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
They're good to 48 Hz so half an octave higher for a xo point sounds like a good place to start out at.
What he said.

Half an octave above 48 Hz is 72 Hz. So try 80 Hz and see what its like. Also try 60 and 100 Hz. It comes down to trial & error until you find what sounds best to you.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What he said.

Half an octave above 48 Hz is 72 Hz. So try 80 Hz and see what its like. Also try 60 and 100 Hz. It comes down to trial & error until you find what sounds best to you.
All roads seem to be leading me to Phil speakers no matter how much research I do. I’ll just save up a bit of cash and make that my goal. Any idea what a usual timeline building a few BMRs in the 20in cherry and a AA pair of surrounds is? Also wonder if anyone has this setup in atmos? Thinking to try 4 RSL 34e in the ceiling to get 5.1.4. Those RSL go on waiting list a lot as well. None of these items pop up used of course. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think he can turn the AAs around quickly. Cherry BMRs might be a week or more, depending on his current load. I'd shoot him an email, he'll tell you what it will be.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
All roads seem to be leading me to Phil speakers no matter how much research I do. I’ll just save up a bit of cash and make that my goal. Any idea what a usual timeline building a few BMRs in the 20in cherry and a AA pair of surrounds is?
Just as j_garcia said, the build time for the AA monitors is now about 20-30 minutes with the assembled crossover boards.

Dennis has decided to schedule a Fed Ex road trip for a pair of BMRs for people to try in their homes.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1348949-philharmonic-audio-dennis-murphy-215.html#post56326768

On a different note, I've been thinking about ways to make it easier for people to hear my speakers, the BMR in particular. One possibility is a BMR road trip, where a pair gets sent around the country to people who are interested enough to take the time to repack them for the next recipient. I would send shipping labels and arrange for a Fed Ex pickup. Participants would be under no obligation to buy a pair or write a review. They would be B-stock, since a mint pair would probably end up B-Stock or C-Stock by the time I got them back. I would be interested in seeing whether there's a demand for something like this. If you think you might like to participate, you can either post or write me at info@philharmonicaudio.com I just want to get a rough idea of whether there's enough interest to build a traveling pair.​

The tour will happen as there was plenty of interest. At present, I don't know when.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
What he said.

It's very difficult to spec the bass on the AA monitors. That's because they use an Extended Bass Shelf tuning system (which is part of the stock Parts Express design--I didn't change it). In this approach, the system is tuned below the free air resonance of the woofer. In a ported system, the response usually extends flat to the tuning frequency, or has a little hump, and then falls off rapidly be low that point. With an EBS tuning, the response shelves down a couple of dB above the tuning frequency, but extends lower than it normally would. My spec for the AA monitor is just a little below where the shelf begins. Useful bass response goes a good bit lower than that, which is why I include a 34 Hz bass tone on my demo CD. So the usual rules of thumb for choosing a sub crossover point may not work for the AA's. I suspect 60 Hz would be the highest you would want to go.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Just as j_garcia said, the build time for the AA monitors is now about 20-30 minutes with the assembled crossover boards.

Dennis has decided to schedule a Fed Ex road trip for a pair of BMRs for people to try in their homes.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1348949-philharmonic-audio-dennis-murphy-215.html#post56326768

On a different note, I've been thinking about ways to make it easier for people to hear my speakers, the BMR in particular. One possibility is a BMR road trip, where a pair gets sent around the country to people who are interested enough to take the time to repack them for the next recipient. I would send shipping labels and arrange for a Fed Ex pickup. Participants would be under no obligation to buy a pair or write a review. They would be B-stock, since a mint pair would probably end up B-Stock or C-Stock by the time I got them back. I would be interested in seeing whether there's a demand for something like this. If you think you might like to participate, you can either post or write me at info@philharmonicaudio.com I just want to get a rough idea of whether there's enough interest to build a traveling pair.​

The tour will happen as there was plenty of interest. At present, I don't know when.
It looks like there's more than enough demand to start the tour. I'm aiming for around 2 weeks for the first victim.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I got in on one of GR Research's tour for the N2X and ended up buying a set of Carnegie CSB1s (market version of the N1X). The packaging eventually gets pretty beat up, but the speakers worked fine. Fortunately I got to listen to the BMRs already at Good4it's place.:D

Philharmonitors have already replaced the CSB1s in the front and the CSBs have been moved to surround duty, replacing the GR A/V-1s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis