Philharmonic 3 Review

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
R500 are fine speakers I can't deny that, that is the reason I have them. But Phil's have those mid/high range elements with well engineered crossover that I believe will produce more open sound than R500. Of course I haven't heard the Phil's and can't really say how they sound for comparison.
The Phils are truly great speakers, the RAAL, crossover, and open back mid produce a sound a spaciousness that most speaker's can't match anywhere near their price range. However, they're not magic and how they sound is heavily dependent on the room, placement, and the source content which Dennis mentioned above. I'm not saying they're not great, I own them, but tempered expectations should be had. Especially when comparing against a very capable speaker like the R500's.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Money For Nothing, Beethoven's 9th and One Headlight would be my normal demo material. Oh yeah, Blue Man Group was the live thing. Venus Hum, I Feel Love. That specifically identified the center as being "a little less" than just stereo on that particular mix anyway. I loved my Infinity 360s and PC350 center a lot less after that trip ... but they were gone by then anyway so c'est la vi or whatever they say ovah de-ahhhh.
but crossed over to some capable subs ...
... and that's just it.

Once you cross to subs you have something else to balance/blend/integrate. Your subs have to be on par with your speakers around that point and co location is nice. For music, I like my ST's set to large because my subs blow and are 10' away from the mains. The Phils get all that out of the way albeit at the expense of a really large enclosure.

What are those KEFs worth, btw?

... did I mention that my POS 10' away left sub is losing a signal periodically and driving me crazy?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Once you cross to subs you have something else to balance/blend/integrate. Your subs have to be on par with your speakers around that point and co location is nice. For music, I like my ST's set to large because my subs blow and are 10' away from the mains. The Phils get all that out of the way albeit at the expense of a really large enclosure.

... did I mention that my POS 10' away left sub is losing a signal periodically and driving me crazy?
I have the Phil's crossed over low at the moment, as low as the Marantz allows. However, they deliver in the bass department, as far as music goes. The Source Tech Trilines bring a bit more thump, but the Phils are more refined. Crossed over for subs and with material that doesn't have that natural ambiance, like movies, I think I actually prefer the Trilines just because I can blast them and never have to worry about about any issues.

Kef's are around $2000-2400 I believe for the R500.

That's crappy. IDK how large your enclosure is, or if it's sealed or ported, but the 10" CSS SDX 10" might be a good drop in replacement to reuse the enclosure. Plus it's a beast of a sub.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the Phil's crossed over low at the moment, as low as the Marantz allows. However, they deliver in the bass department, as far as music goes. The Source Tech Trilines bring a bit more thump, but the Phils are more refined. Crossed over for subs and with material that doesn't have that natural ambiance, like movies, I think I actually prefer the Trilines just because I can blast them and never have to worry about about any issues.

Kef's are around $2000-2400 I believe for the R500.

That's crappy. IDK how large your enclosure is, or if it's sealed or ported, but the 10" CSS SDX 10" might be a good drop in replacement to reuse the enclosure. Plus it's a beast of a sub.
I made that sound worse than it is. The RCA jack on my EQ is highly suspect. If I continue to have issues I am not afraid to open my EQ up and start to resolder random stuff until it ends up in a dumpster.

It's interesting to know that Steve went with that given his level of audio know how. Can you share what you dished out for the Trilines? I know the MSRP is 'out there'.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I made that sound worse than it is. The RCA jack on my EQ is highly suspect. If I continue to have issues I am not afraid to open my EQ up and start to resolder random stuff until it ends up in a dumpster.

It's interesting to know that Steve went with that given his level of audio know how. Can you share what you dished out for the Trilines? I know the MSRP is 'out there'.
Sounds like a solid plan.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

It allow me to PM you. FYI.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It's interesting to know that Steve went with that given his level of audio know how.
FWIW, there were a few reasons I went with KEF:

1. They happened to fit well with how I was designing my system, both in terms of letting the Funk do the heavy lifting down low, as well as aiming for controlled dispersion to help compensate for my relatively narrow/lively room.

2. I upgraded my L/C/Rs after I had gone to CEDIA last year. As chance would have it, I was able to hobnob with the KEF crew there, which was a cool experience. Later when I called to see what kind of pricing I could get, I spoke with a guy who recalled meeting me at the show. Suffice it to say, I didn't pay anywhere near full retail.

3. In another nod to cheapness, going with the KEF R's let me keep the old Q surrounds without getting too bothered about mismatched surrounds.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
3. In another nod to cheapness, going with the KEF R's let me keep the old Q surrounds without getting too bothered about mismatched surrounds.
I seem to remember those speakers. Horrible they were. In pieces they are. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I seem to remember those speakers. Horrible they were. In pieces they are. :p

Surprised I'm not. Make an interesting DIY project they could. Barring that, the drivers would make fantastic paper weights.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Surprised I'm not. Make an interesting DIY project they could. Barring that, the drivers would make fantastic paper weights.
Right now that's all they are. Although I am using the center cabinet as an end table I may repurpose the binding posts. I kind of like how you can jumper them through the screw terminal.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Money For Nothing, Beethoven's 9th and One Headlight would be my normal demo material. Oh yeah, Blue Man Group was the live thing. Venus Hum, I Feel Love. That specifically identified the center as being "a little less" than just stereo on that particular mix anyway. I loved my Infinity 360s and PC350 center a lot less after that trip ... but they were gone by then anyway so c'est la vi or whatever they say ovah de-ahhhh.

... and that's just it.

Could you point out your favorite Beethoven's 9th recording in CD/SACD/DVD/BLU-RAY format? Would like to buy one to see how my R500 do with it.

Really interesting topic to read so far.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I've yet to hear any KEF's, but have only heard good things about them! I understand some of the merits of using a coaxial speaker for tweeter-mid, and also why TLS Guy uses dual coax's in his custom center channel. Will need to seek some out!

Or take a road trip to MD...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Could you point out your favorite Beethoven's 9th recording in CD/SACD/DVD/BLU-RAY format? Would like to buy one to see how my R500 do with it.
I like the Daniel Barenboim DVD-A for the enveloping nature of multi channel play back. My only comparison would be listening to The 9th on old vinyl so there really is no comparison in terms of sound quality. In terms of performance quality, everything else I've heard is also lacking. When you get to the 4th movement, the choir and male soloist make it easy to determine speaker preference.

Swerd might know of a TLS recommended rendition. You should take either of their suggestions over mine due to their greater experience with classical music but for me, nothing does it like when that male vocalist starts screaming like he got stabbed in the 4th movement. My preference is probably due to familiarity but I'm in awe of Barenboim as a conductor and as a pianist.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I like the Daniel Barenboim DVD-A for the enveloping nature of multi channel play back. My only comparison would be listening to The 9th on old vinyl so there really is no comparison in terms of sound quality. In terms of performance quality, everything else I've heard is also lacking. When you get to the 4th movement, the choir and male soloist make it easy to determine speaker preference.

Swerd might know of a TLS recommended rendition. You should take either of their suggestions over mine due to their greater experience with classical music but for me, nothing does it like when that male vocalist starts screaming like he got stabbed in the 4th movement. My preference is probably due to familiarity but I'm in awe of Barenboim as a conductor and as a pianist.
I have a download of Daniel Barenboim conducting the West Eastern Divan Orchestra. I don't know if it's the same as Alex's, but it's hi quality download and sounds pretty darn good.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a download of Daniel Barenboim conducting the West Eastern Divan Orchestra. I don't know if it's the same as Alex's, but it's hi quality download and sounds pretty darn good.
It is a different one. I just ordered both of those! :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
So Alex, I wasn't aware that Alex was the designer for DM's website, that's pretty cool. And Alex, it's a pleasure seeing you as well, glad you could make an appearance in this thread with Alex.

-_- there's too many Alex's, that's the most significant thing I learned in this thread.

Joking aside. I enjoyed reading the review.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
So Alex, I wasn't aware that Alex was the designer for DM's website, that's pretty cool. And Alex, it's a pleasure seeing you as well, glad you could make an appearance in this thread with Alex.

-_- there's too many Alex's, that's the most significant thing I learned in this thread.

Joking aside. I enjoyed reading the review.
Alex helped me out in a pinch a couple of years ago, for which I a eternally grateful. Then he got very busy with a new job, and the original designer decided he wanted to return to the fold. So he redid everything in his own image, and that's the current site.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Alex helped me out in a pinch a couple of years ago, for which I a eternally grateful. Then he got very busy with a new job, and the original designer decided he wanted to return to the fold. So he redid everything in his own image, and that's the current site.
I was just happy I could help out. Gotta keep Philharmonic Audio growing so that you can never retire :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you're not careful we'll reach critical Alex mass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis