Phantom vs center in bedroom?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I was wondering what the difference is in these two, I’m not sure what stand I’m going to use but I’d probably need something special to raise the tv for a center if I use one.
Which do you prefer??
Cheap ways to keep center,?

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I don't use a center in my bedroom. I have a couple of small tower speakers that are only about 6 feet apart and a 12" sub. That and a 55" TV make watching almost as good as the home theater in the family room. Viewing distance is about 10 feet.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My living room doesn't lend itself to a surround system, so I run it in stereo. There's no center channel and the sounds from the speakers allows seamless transition across the front. If you can't find a center channel speaker that satisfies you, try phantom- it's not the end of the world if you don't use a center channel and using phantom is far better than using a bad center channel speaker. Hearing people speaking without sounding realistic is terrible. I have heard radio interviews with people who I know and when my attention wasn't on the interview, I have been startled by the sound of their voices, on occasion- it sounded as if they were in the room. That tells me my speakers do a great job with vocals.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I was wondering what the difference is in these two, I’m not sure what stand I’m going to use but I’d probably need something special to raise the tv for a center if I use one.
Which do you prefer??
I prefer to not watch TV in the bedroom. At the same time the other three bedrooms and garage have TVs. I was thinking of putting one in the master bath.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Which do you prefer??
What is your current set-up with equipment? AVR? Subwoofer? What speakers? Have Dolby sound?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What is your current set-up with equipment? AVR? Subwoofer? What speakers? Have Dolby sound?
It’s collecting dust my chair broke haven’t used it in a while. I’m not sure avr model I gotta check a low end 7.1 ch Yamaha avr. But not sure how many speakers I will run , but Andrew Jones Pioneer SP-FS52 fronts with Sony ss-cn550h center . Haven’t decided surrounds yet trying to get front 3 before i worry about that, and diy stereo integrity si ht 15” subwoofer . Planning on 4.1-5.1 not sure ? If I can fit Center which could be nice otherwise phantom.
I wanna use a tv that’s foot is too big to fit on the center despite it being a 42” Panasonic .

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I prefer to not watch TV in the bedroom. At the same time the other three bedrooms and garage have TVs. I was thinking of putting one in the master bath.
Yeah it won’t be my primary set up most likely, but I want it too sound good. The only thing is I don’t have any clue how much this plasma tv has been watched it was used, and I couldn’t sweep the dust build up on the fans w/Dyson.
so who knows how long til it bites the dust, or it could be mint I don’t know ??? o_O
its old for sure though..
no way to tell ??
Not sure I want to forgo a center , but I gotta put center on a small box or something or raise the tv?

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Depends also on how far apart the L+R speakers are. If the speakers are right next to the TV, then a centre channel really isn't needed and just run L+R for a phantom centre. If the speakers are well off to the sides, then it could be worth raising the TV up to use a centre speaker.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Depends also on how far apart the L+R speakers are. If the speakers are right next to the TV, then a centre channel really isn't needed and just run L+R for a phantom centre. If the speakers are well off to the sides, then it could be worth raising the TV up to use a centre speaker.
I’m still trying to decide which tv stand I’m using my mom kinda wants me to get rid of my tv stand for next to nothing and use a dresser. But I’m not too excited about that and I already have a Center I was going to use. Left & right will either be right beside the tv or within 5-8feet of each other.
My tv stand has a Broken shelf and no spot for center so I gotta use an extra stand. So it’s terrible right now ..

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks I will look at these links for information. :D
Could you help me figure out how to get bass levels right?? I’m trying with mixed/ bad results so far .

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
There is a Gain or Volume control on the subwoofer, which controls the amount of bass you want. If you have old equipment, it may not have. Or inexpensive equipment.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There is a Gain or Volume control on the subwoofer, which controls the amount of bass you want. If you have old equipment, it may not have. Or inexpensive equipment.
Yea but mlp is in a corner 1.5-2.5 feet from a wall. so I gotta find the proper distance out of mlp to measure it With mic .
I turned gain down to 25% of max -11db is best tuning I’ve gotten from Odyssey.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It may be that close I’m not certain yet my pioneer towers are short .
yeah I definitely can use all the calibration links possible!! My set up is a work in progress! :D
audyssey is so confusing!

kmidst

kmidst

Enthusiast
No TV in my bedroom! There is only bed and clothes and blackout curtains. I sleep soundly :)

That being said I think a center will always help balance the mix, especially dialogue. Do you already have a 3+ channel amp and can just toss a center in at your whim?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No TV in my bedroom! There is only bed and clothes and blackout curtains. I sleep soundly :)

That being said I think a center will always help balance the mix, especially dialogue. Do you already have a 3+ channel amp and can just toss a center in at your whim?
Yes a 7ch , and I have a Sony center channel already I was using in my bedroom system but I gotta switch to the slightly larger room despite it having less space for my electronics.
I need it set up regardless for if he new flooring ever gets installed my better set up will be unplugged for a short while . And I can’t fit my bigger sub in the downstairs set up yet but I’ll try to persuade parents.
My little 10” sub is louder Then my 15” typically because of port tuning it doesn’t go as low. And no not close to as loud as the sealed 15” at max spl but I don’t listen that loud anymore.
So it’s like those boomy car subs you always hear.
I can’t sleep with tv on, if that’s why you avoid TVs up there.
71EB2B6B-4A59-4D0A-B1C4-4D4E5BAFB9E1.jpeg
000AA80B-2575-477E-AC02-A31BBA519FE2.jpeg

kmidst

kmidst

Enthusiast
Oh great, well as long as you already have it then yeah for sure use it. A lot of content is coded for surround sound now days, so you can usually expect the center to be playing.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I don't use a center in my bedroom. I have a couple of small tower speakers that are only about 6 feet apart and a 12" sub. That and a 55" TV make watching almost as good as the home theater in the family room. Viewing distance is about 10 feet.
Wow that’s the sized tv I’m trying to move to my main room but my tv stand had no room for a center, so I need another.
I’m between using a tv stand in bedroom or a dresser for more storage space. If I use plasma I gotra clean it, back full of dust and I can’t stack a center channel underneath it. :(

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Bedroom is for sleeping or having sex. If you add a center speaker, you might not be able to fall asleep. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis