S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If you're an old time Peter Gabriel Fan, than 'Up' is what you have waited for the past 10-years Peter Gabriel has been semi-dormant.

Peter Gabriel's latest release, 'Up' is a Masterpiece. &nbsp;Not only did Peter write all the music and lyrics on the CD, he produced each track with the exception of 'I Grieve' and 'The Drop.' &nbsp;

Inside the CD folder, Peter explains how it took him years to produce this CD. &nbsp;When you listen to the layers of music, vocals, and rhythm that are in almost every song, it's easy to understand why. &nbsp;The complexities and dynamics of the songs are such that a quick production would not have done justice to the layers, upon layers of music that blend and change in such a balance as that produced into this CD.

This CD revives some of Peter Gabriel's old style developed on his very first CD. &nbsp;The first track, 'Darkness,' is as rugged, old style Peter Gabriel as you can get. &nbsp;It begins with powerful guitars and processed, almost wicked sounding vocals that are not only reminiscent of older Gabriel tunes, but includes a touch of King Crimson style. &nbsp;Just when you think the song hit it's high; it slams you with more and then out of nowhere, it brings you down with a mellow touch of Peter and his Keyboard. 'Darkness' is a roller coaster ride for the deepest Gabriel fans. It takes 'Digging in the Dirt' to a whole new level.

All I can say is that if you are a Peter Gabriel Fan, just go out and buy this CD today. &nbsp;As a huge Gabriel Fan, I eagerly listened to each track expecting and awaiting the homerun song. &nbsp;You know, the one that will top the charts and help record sales, as did 'Shock The Monkey', 'Steam', 'Kiss That Frog' and the likes. &nbsp;Not that there's anything wrong with any of those songs, as I completely love them, but they're tailored more for the average, part time Fan. &nbsp;Instead, Gabriel does not seem to have approached this album just to sell on the charts, but instead, he uses it as a form of expession. &nbsp;The lyrics and music are so deep and meaningful that is shows Peter Gabriel ha something to say since his last release 10-years ago. &nbsp;I can't help but believe that Gabriel must have also set forth to satisfy his long term, old time Fans that he enlisted with 'Games Without Frontiers.' &nbsp;

The missing homerun song is likely to mean you won't hear much of 'Up' on the Radio, but that's OK with me. &nbsp;I chose to purchase the CD and now I can listen to it any time I want, which will be at least once a day. &nbsp;

The music on this new release draws from every style of Peter Gabriel since his early Genesis days. &nbsp;He leaves nothing out, except the flute. &nbsp;I still don't understand why Peter hasn't played flute on any of his music since he left Genesis.

As for the audio quality, it is above average for a two channel CD. &nbsp;There are times where the high frequencies seem a bit harsh and muttered together, but the bass and mids are solid and well blended. &nbsp;It?s worthy of playing on a hi-fi system and not limited only to your car audio system as are Creed CD's. &nbsp;

Through special reasearching and contacts, Audioholics has confirmed that 'Up' will be released in SACD, DVD-Audio and other competing formats. &nbsp;It's likely to be as soon as November 2002, but can be as late as Early 2003. &nbsp;In this time frame, Gabriel's record label will also be releasing some of his earlier works, like 'Us' and others, on these formats as well.

Being a huge fan, I could not wait that long. &nbsp;I'm completely satisfied with 'Up,' and glad I ran off and purchased it on CD on Tuesday, September 24th, the day it was released, even though I know there are other formats pending. &nbsp;I can now patiently wait for the new/improved release and get to know the new songs in the mean time. &nbsp;

Hats off to Peter Gabriel for creating one of his best works of art since he left Genesis. &nbsp;As I stated earlier, this CD is a Masterpiece written for his Fans, not just the record lable.

Thanks Peter Gabriel, for giving me something to listen to again.

Happy Listening

Peter Gabriel's Homepage</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Steve;

Great Review! &nbsp;Sounds like I need to run out and score a copy for myself. &nbsp;How does this CD compare with &quot;Security&quot;?

Also, I hope &quot;Mr.Clean&quot; aka OConner doesn't make any surprise appearances on this CD.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis