Personal Review of Yamaha RX-A1080

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Without getting in to what's not or has already been said on Yamaha RX-A1080 on any website this is just my take on what I have noticed so far with this AVR. 1st. I'll say this Yes, Denon's 3600 measured better than the RX-A1080 facts back that up over on another credible website. I say this as I would not like to see a flame war or gaslighting over Denon or Yamaha both are very good AVR's. One just happen's to spec out better in area's. Facts are fact right HA/HT fellows. Much has been said and posted up on the two manufacturers of some fine gear the two have put out pass and present. My take on Yamaha's RX-A1080, 1st,
Yamaha's #1, AI" I use it and well I like what it does and it does what Yamaha says it will do. I watched Monster Hunter on 4K Blu-Ray in 5.1 it was my best experience todate in home HT audio. Now two reasons I wanted this flagship line AVR. #2, the HI-Res mode for music use, picked up two new LP's 180g V. to test run them out, mode on and off. Yes it does do what Yamaha says it does. Yeah I know some of you audio gurus are gonna say, but your not using the analog your using processing "digital up converting" and you would be right. I love HI-Res music when using my CD player and Streaming and now
I have Hi-Res for TT. Hi-Res mode will stay on for both source's. Long story short was the money spent on this AVR as to what I had before or anything else I have had? Yes it is money well spent. If I could compare the RX-A1080 to what I have had in the past it is close to a NAD Pre-Pro Processor I had. Close in Performance and sound quality. Not saying A1080 would best that NAD, after all that AV pre-pro was 3K before tax back in 2012. YPAO, PEQ worked really good for my use, good enough for me to leave it where it set my setup at. I ended up leaving it set to Pattern 1. Pattern 2 bumped up the lowend a little to much for me on LCR about the same for the surrounds.
BD86ED52-6107-4C0E-86F3-7198A8446368.jpeg

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the very nice Yamaha RX-A1080, Mike! It's great AVR for sure.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Without getting in to what's not or has already been said on Yamaha RX-A1080 on any website this is just my take on what I have noticed so far with this AVR. 1st. I'll say this Yes Denon's 3600 measured better than the RX-A1080 facts back that up over on another credible website. I say this as I would not like to see a flame war or gaslighting over Denon or Yamaha both are very good AVR's. One just happen's to spec out better in area's. Facts are fact right HA/HT fellows. Much has been said and posted up on the two manufacturers of some fine gear the two have put out pass and present. My take on Yamaha's RX-A1080, 1st Yamaha's " AI" I use it and well I like what it does and it does what Yamaha says it will do. I watched Monster Hunter on 4K Blu-Ray in 5.1 it was my best experience todate in home HT audio. Now two reasons I wanted this flagship line AVR. #1, the HI-Res mode for music use, picked up two new LP's 180 V. to test run them out, mode on and off. Yes it does do what Yamaha says it does. Yeah I know some of you audio gurus are gonna say, but your not using the analog your using processing "digital up converting" and you would be right. I for me love HI-Res music when using my CD player and or TT. Hi-Res mode will stay on for both source's. Long story short was the money spend on this AVR as to what I had before or anything else I have had? Yes it is money well spent. If I could compare the RX-A1080 to what I have had in the past it is close to a NAD Pre-Pro Processor I had. Close in Performance and sound quality. Not saying A1080 would best that NAD, after all that AV pre-pro was 3K before tax back in 2012. YPAO, PEQ worked really good for my use, good enough for me to leave it what it set my setup at. I ended up leaving it set to Pattern 1. Pattern 2 bumped up the lowend a little to much for me on LCR about the same for the surrounds.
View attachment 46851
Glad your enjoying the new unit there’s no question the Yamaha A - line of avr’s are really well built . I’ve had several different brands and hands down to me these sound the best in there class . YPAO can get a little goofy sometimes lol but by and large sets most parameters distance , delays and levels really close too . I have a very reflective room that can give it problems tho . I mainly use through in the peq and bypass or choose flat . Enjoy !

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Glad your enjoying the new unit there’s no question the Yamaha A - line of avr’s are really well built . I’ve had several different brands and hands down to me these sound the best in there class . YPAO can get a little goofy sometimes lol but by and large sets most parameters distance , delays and levels really close too . I have a very reflective room that can give it problems tho . I mainly use through in the peq and bypass or choose flat . Enjoy !
I've never been a fan of Yamaha, I don't like YPAO.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I agree I have better results after running it going back in with a spl meter and setting the levels that way although it does get my distance dam near spot on . And if you go in and dial back some of the settings in the dsp modes it’s really decent .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm NOT a fan of any Room EQ. Leave my sound alone!

Except for the subwoofer Manual PEQ - gotta have that to boost my bass. :D

But in general, any kind of EQ or DSP is about preference. Some people prefer one EQ or DSP over another.

If it were up to me, I would prefer an AVR or AVP without any kind of Auto EQ or DSP. But it is just as SIMPLE to TURN the features OFF.

You don't like YPAO? Turn it off. You don't like Atmos? Turn it off. You don't like Audyssey or ARC or Dirac or Trinnov or whatever EQ? Turn it off. Just that simple.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

But in general, any kind of EQ or DSP is about preference. Some people prefer one EQ or DSP over another.

If it were up to me, I would prefer an AVR or AVP without any kind of Auto EQ or DSP. But it is just as SIMPLE to TURN the features OFF.

You don't like YPAO? Turn it off. You don't like Atmos? Turn it off. You don't like Audyssey or ARC or whatever EQ? Turn it off. Just that simple.
I like Audyssey, just have to tweak it a bit. I like Atmos, I just don't think it's for the mass market even though it's marketed that way. I'm too lazy to do manual calibration, so it has to be some kind of auto cal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like Audyssey, just have to tweak it a bit. I like Atmos, I just don't think it's for the mass market even though it's marketed that way. I'm too lazy to do manual calibration, so it has to be some kind of auto cal.
Everyone likes something different. There is a system and sound for everyone. Everyone's needs change over time. And they have to adapt to those changes.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

You don't like YPAO? Turn it off. You don't like Atmos? Turn it off. You don't like Audyssey or ARC or whatever EQ? Turn it off. Just that simple.
I do also use the sub peq on mine it’s a sweet feature to have . I do use outboard eq’s too along with the sub peq . Mostly for music it’s easy to switch them out of play too . I do like the standard movie dsp for about everything .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I say this as I would not like to see a flame war or gaslighting over Denon or Yamaha both are very good AVR's.
I don't think that'll be an issue. We have some fun poking each other sometimes, but they're all really good products. You already know I'm a D&M fanboy, but your new Yamaha is a great receiver too. I would not be upset if I owned one at all. Congrats! Glad to see you enjoying your new toy! It's always fun when one of us gets a new toy.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do also use the sub peq on mine it’s a sweet feature to have . I do use outboard eq’s too along with the sub peq . Mostly for music it’s easy to switch them out of play too . I do like the standard movie dsp for about everything .
DSU and DTS NeuralX?

I love them. Definitely something for everyone.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
DSU and DTS NeuralX?

I love them. Definitely something for everyone.
My older unit doesn’t have DSU or DTS Neural that’s one of the main things Iam looking forward to playing with lol time for a 3080 !

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I gotta say you do have a point, about Audssey when I had my Onkyo NR818 I really liked the way it dialed in my two 12" subs. Before the NR818 was Onkyo 705. NR818 had X32? if I remember right. But with that said I didn't know what I know about home audio back than what I know now. 2006 to 2012 I was jumping all over the place with AVR's from HK's, Onkyo's' a Yamaha 2004, NAD, Umm I believe even one Sony. plus Amps.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I gotta say you do have a point, about Audssey when I had my Onkyo NR818 I really liked the way it dialed in my two 12" subs. Before the NR818 was Onkyo 705. NR818 had X32? if I remember right. But with that said I didn't know what I know about home audio back than what I know now. 2006 to 2012 I was jumping all over the place with AVR's from HK's, Onkyo's' a Yamaha 2004, NAD, Umm I believe even one Sony. plus Amps.
If you have a smart phone I highly recommend useing the Yamaha controller app it’s free I use it a lot . It’s really helpful at least to me because you can change settings in sound fields and see what your changes are as you listen. It’s a well done app .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you have a smart phone I highly recommend useing the Yamaha controller app it’s free I use it a lot . It’s really helpful at least to me because you can change settings in sound fields and see what your changes are as you listen. It’s a well done app .
One thing cool about that Yamaha AV Controller app (that I did not realize) is that it still WORKS if your Home Internet is DOWN!!! :D

As long as your Home Network is working, the AV Controller app will work even if you do not have any Internet Connection. I always thought you had to have Internet for the AV Controller App to work. :D

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
One thing cool about that Yamaha AV Controller app (that I did not realize) is that it still WORKS if your Home Internet is DOWN!!! :D

As long as your Home Network is working, the AV Controller app will work even if you do not have any Internet Connection. I always thought you had to have Internet for the AV Controller App to work. :D
Now that’s cool I didn’t know that I always thought you did too . I guess as long as there connected to a router they still communicate so to speak for lack of a better term . That’s good to know .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now that’s cool I didn’t know that I always thought you did too . I guess as long as there connected to a router they still communicate so to speak for lack of a better term . That’s good to know .
Yeah, I found this out during the last big ice storm when our internet service was down (AT&T Giga-power) for the whole day.

I was watching movies on my Plex HTPC. And I always use my iPad to use the AV Controller. So I thought, "Hey, let's try the AV Controller app when the Internet for the entire house is down!"

And the AV Controller worked perfectly. It was a cool feeling. :cool:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Without getting in to what's not or has already been said on Yamaha RX-A1080 on any website this is just my take on what I have noticed so far with this AVR. 1st. I'll say this Yes, Denon's 3600 measured better than the RX-A1080 facts back that up over on another credible website. I say this as I would not like to see a flame war or gaslighting over Denon or Yamaha both are very good AVR's. One just happen's to spec out better in area's. Facts are fact right HA/HT fellows. Much has been said and posted up on the two manufacturers of some fine gear the two have put out pass and present. My take on Yamaha's RX-A1080, 1st,
Yamaha's #1, AI" I use it and well I like what it does and it does what Yamaha says it will do. I watched Monster Hunter on 4K Blu-Ray in 5.1 it was my best experience todate in home HT audio. Now two reasons I wanted this flagship line AVR. #2, the HI-Res mode for music use, picked up two new LP's 180 V. to test run them out, mode on and off. Yes it does do what Yamaha says it does. Yeah I know some of you audio gurus are gonna say, but your not using the analog your using processing "digital up converting" and you would be right. I love HI-Res music when using my CD player and Streaming and now
I have Hi-Res for TT. Hi-Res mode will stay on for both source's. Long story short was the money spent on this AVR as to what I had before or anything else I have had? Yes it is money well spent. If I could compare the RX-A1080 to what I have had in the past it is close to a NAD Pre-Pro Processor I had. Close in Performance and sound quality. Not saying A1080 would best that NAD, after all that AV pre-pro was 3K before tax back in 2012. YPAO, PEQ worked really good for my use, good enough for me to leave it where it set my setup at. I ended up leaving it set to Pattern 1. Pattern 2 bumped up the lowend a little to much for me on LCR about the same for the surrounds.
View attachment 46851
work in Progress.
B1CCB906-F63B-4FE0-8630-C01D93DCE010.jpeg

Its a mess right now, I've had to stop many time's helping two Son's with their home's, There are things I will move around. As you can see right front Tower is jammed in the corner., I may move the whole setup over to the wall on the left side of that room. but then I open myself up, left Tower to a open room, will be able to open the F/L tower wider apart. As of right now 9ft apart. My Son talked me into leaving my setup where it's at right now.

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yeah, I found this out during the last big ice storm when our internet service was down (AT&T Giga-power) for the whole day.

I was watching movies on my Plex HTPC. And I always use my iPad to use the AV Controller. So I thought, "Hey, let's try the AV Controller app when the Internet for the entire house is down!"

And the AV Controller worked perfectly. It was a cool feeling. :cool:
I use both an I-phone and a I-pad I like the phone for screwing with the wife when she’s into a good movie and start changing stuff up I’ll change inputs she’ll never figure it out or I’ll pause a movie with it . But all toying around aside it’s a really great controller for these AVR’s . I don’t know but I’d assume other brands have apps aswell if not they should .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis