Perlisten Sub decisions

G

Gui0312

Enthusiast
Hi,
I’m trying to decide on a pair of Perlisten subs to add to my home cinema. I currently have 12” Rel subs in there and while they do shake the room a bit I feel I’m missing something, mostly in that precise and deeper bass. These were initially in my living room but since I have built a dedicated room.

The cinema is 17.5Lx13.5Wx10.25H. It’s a dedicated space, no windows, only a door. I have some space concerns especially in the front, under my screen where the subs will go, I would have a clearance of up to about 20”, (currently the clear and is 16” but I can raise the screen “some”). *see pic attached, there’s my little 12 on the lower right

What is the main difference of the R and D models, other than the power amp? Not talking about the dual drivers only.

I’ve heard that the dual drivers should not be placed on their sides (which I would probably have to do). Does a dual 10 perform as well or better than a single 12? Or dual 12 as well or better than a single 15?

My plan is to get two subs and place them in the front and use my existing subs and place them in the back until I can upgrade those as well, down the line.

I’ve been looking at the D12, R12, R210, R15, R212 in no specific order, however mentioning the dual drivers will most likely need to be placed on its side (specifically the R212).

Maybe @shadyJ can chime in?

thanks!!!

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The dual drivers are not badly affected by being placed on their side. The lower driver will lose a bit of loading from the floor, but it wouldn't have a major effect on the sound.

If it were me, I would go with the R212s. Expensive, but that will offer the best performance.

G

Gui0312

Enthusiast
The dual drivers are not badly affected by being placed on their side. The lower driver will lose a bit of loading from the floor, but it wouldn't have a major effect on the sound.

If it were me, I would go with the R212s. Expensive, but that will offer the best performance.
Yeah I thought I was getting a better deal than I was on those. Also, after using some virtual placement in not too sure I like them being on the sides, plus any compromise for such an expensive piece.
Would (4) 12’s pressurize enough? They would fit nicely under the screen and would be able to get 4 for wave forming. Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah I thought I was getting a better deal than I was on those. Also, after using some virtual placement in not too sure I like them being on the sides, plus any compromise for such an expensive piece.
Would (4) 12’s pressurize enough? They would fit nicely under the screen and would be able to get 4 for wave forming. Thanks!
I can not imagine four of those not being enough for anyone. That would be a killer sound system for sure!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OK, I think those would have a lot of displacement as well. That should be enough. After all, four 12" have the same surface area as a 24". You should be getting a decent amount of thump with four 12"s.
That space would really be well served by a TL sub. It could be fitted to across and under the screen. They are efficient, don't take monster amps, and deliver the best quality bass I have ever heard. The bass quality is better and absolutely natural. Anyone who has ever owned good TL speakers won't part with them.

In many ways they are the perfect answer to ugly boxy subs. A TL sub would never be a square box.

I was just listening to a recital from Truro Cathedral this afternoon. It was magnificent and Henry Wills organ was shaking the floor without the bass amps even breaking a sweat.
In many was the form factor imposed by TL designs is actually ideal for home theater despite their large volume requirement.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That’s a relatively small room. The other speakers are in-wall. Why not also use in-wall subs?

G

Gui0312

Enthusiast
That space would really be well served by a TL sub. It could be fitted to across and under the screen. They are efficient, don't take monster amps, and deliver the best quality bass I have ever heard. The bass quality is better and absolutely natural. Anyone who has ever owned good TL speakers won't part with them.

In many ways they are the perfect answer to ugly boxy subs. A TL sub would never be a square box.

I was just listening to a recital from Truro Cathedral this afternoon. It was magnificent and Henry Wills organ was shaking the floor without the bass amps even breaking a sweat.
In many was the form factor imposed by TL designs is actually ideal for home theater despite their large volume requirement.
I’m not sure I know what those are. Is that a brand or type?

G

Gui0312

Enthusiast
That’s a relatively small room. The other speakers are in-wall. Why not also use in-wall subs?
I was originally going to but I heard a lot of the in walls just don’t go low enough and struggle. I’m actually wired for three in front and three in the back. I also ran XLR to each 1/4 corner of the room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was originally going to but I heard a lot of the in walls just don’t go low enough and struggle. I’m actually wired for three in front and three in the back. I also ran XLR to each 1/4 corner of the room.
How big and how many were those in-wall subs that struggled?

I would only use dual 12" subs for in-walls like the RBH SI-1212. I am sure that SI-1212 x 5 will produce more bass than you will ever NEED.

For my next house, the HT room will be 23 x 20. I am planning on doing SI-831 x 5 for the 5 speakers + SI-1212 x 5 for the 5 subs (5.5.4).

G

Gui0312

Enthusiast

I would only use dual 12" subs for in-walls like the RBH SI-1212. I am sure that SI-1212 x 5 will produce more bass than you will ever NEED.
initially looking at the KEF in wall subs but held off. I checked out those RBH’s but they are about 9”
Deep which my walls will only hold 5” at most. I couldn’t do a baffle wall either as you can see my door is fairly close to the screen .

G

Gui0312

Enthusiast

For my next house, the HT room will be 23 x 20. I am planning on doing SI-831 x 5 for the 5 speakers + SI-1212 x 5 for the 5 subs (5.5.4).
So by that thought, you think the R12’s will be good to go in my size room? Or even 10’s then? I’m thinking if i go smaller I can get more of them but I know there is a limit with the diameter of the woofer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
initially looking at the KEF in wall subs but held off. I checked out those RBH’s but they are about 9”
Deep which my walls will only hold 5” at most. I couldn’t do a baffle wall either as you can see my door is fairly close to the screen .
The KEF in-wall subs are a bit ridiculous b/c the woofers are only 6.5-inch and cost a lot. :D

The RBH SI-1212/3 dual-12" in-wall subs that I will be using are only 3" Deep.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m not sure I know what those are. Is that a brand or type?
They are largely the province of the DIY community. They are modified organ pipes, and belong to the family of stopped Gedeckt pipes. Human kind has realized the acoustic benefits of pipes for 2000 years at least.

They are ideal for bass speaker loading. They are efficient and can be well damped. They can aid the drivers over a greater range of frequency than ported. Sealed enclosures to not aid the driver at all. In TLs the pressures at the driver are high and cone displacement is well controlled. The result is a pure realistic bass, that is deep with minimal coloration.

There have been good designs over the years, especially from TDL, when John Wright was the owner/designer.

Probably the most famous design was the triamped TL monitors at the former BBC studios at Maida Vale. That was a cooperative design and collaboration among some of the most famous names in the history of audio.

In my AV room all the speakers except the side surrounds and four ceiling speakers are transmission line speakers.

This will give you an idea of the design of a TL. This is the in wall sub of our living room system.

My wife calls it her system.

The front speakers of my AV room. The right and left speakers are dual TL lines with driver support from 20 Hz to 80 Hz, and actually a bit beyond. The center is also a TL.

There are no commercial TL subs, and there absolutely should be. There are many ways they could be tastefully incorporated into well designed neat systems.

G

Gui0312

Enthusiast
What tools are needed to calibrate the Perlisten R15 subs. I understand they have their own DSP and the touch panel but how is that used with your system?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What tools are needed to calibrate the Perlisten R15 subs. I understand they have their own DSP and the touch panel but how is that used with your system?
A measurement mic and software like REW are usually a good start.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can either manually EQ them, in which case, you need a mic and REW software, and then use their onboard equalizers to shape the response, or you can use an auto-EQ system like Dirac or Audyssey.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis